Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some Questions About Some Photographic Equipment For The K1000SE

I hope that this isn't the wrong thread or category but it does involve things that I would like to acquire eventually. Can someone tell what would be some good choices for the following equipment for the K1000SE: macro lens, tele-converter, flash unit, wide-angle lens (something wider than 28mm or even 24mm). I prefer the suggestions be Pentax-only equipment because I am not interested in third party equipment at this time. I would also like to find a graduated neutral density filter (since I like to shoot sunrise and sunset landscapes quite often) relatively inexpensive. Would anyone have any suggestions as to where I could find this. I think that there was a couple of pieces of photographic equipment that I was wanting suggestions for but for the life of me, I cannot remember what they are. I guess that's what happens when you get old.

12-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Pentax-M and K Lenses are the cheapest and most suited on that body, however A's will work on it as well and are seamless(mostly) on modern Pentax DSLR's . The best way to find what is best is to use The Lens Review Database
You will get a whirlwind of answers in response to this thread and nothing as definitive as the database ratings which draw from the experiences of many rather than individual opinions.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 12-10-2013 at 06:33 PM.
12-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh okay. I just bought this camera and I only have one lens for it. I want to get more for eventually. Thank you.
12-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photographyguy74 Quote
Oh okay. I just bought this camera and I only have one lens for it. I want to get more for eventually. Thank you.
No problem it's never steered me wrong

12-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Oh, one other thing - if you have an idea of price ranges for any of the items you mentioned, it will help with recommendations. There are some really great items at pretty much every point in the price scale. Also, you might want to re-consider the non-3rd party stance, since the openness of the K and m42 systems mean there are tons of options out there that are as good, or in some cases better, than their Pentax equivalents.
Agreed, especially for anything pentax that is not common, a 3rd party extreme wide angle or extreme tele will cost you half that of a pentax counterpart. 35mm film does not expose a lens' weaknesses as much as DSLRs
Is you camera the Japanese k1000se or the plastic top chinese one?
I have the brown Japanese k1000 se one and it's my favorite SLR
12-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
On the bottom of the camera, it says that it was made in China.
12-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is still a great camera. My oldest grandson has the same camera and has been using it heavily for the last 4 years without a single problem.

The suggestions for researching the database here is a great one. It is also a good idea to stay with Pentax in the beginning.

I would make two additional suggestions. Try to buy and use lenses that use a 49mm filter thread. This way you can buy just one set of filters that will work with all your lenses. Next, buy a hood. If you stay with the first suggestion you can buy a 49mm screw in hood that will work fine with most of your lenses.

Over the years I have accumulated a small set of lenses for my Pentax K1000 SE that work beautifully. These are certainly not the only ones that will work but they make a great, light, easy to use set that covers most of the bases.
* Pentax M 35/2
* Pentax M 50/1.7
* Pentax M 85/2
* Pentax M 135/3.5

Then, go buy an inexpensive set of extension tubes and everyone of these can be used as a macro.

Once you feel comfortable with those lenses then you can look at wider lenses, the Pentax M 24 is a nice one, and you can go longer. There are lots of choices from 200mm on but the filters are usually larger and you will need to have a better feeling how you want to use it. If you will use it indoors a lot than it should have a faster aperture. The 200/4 may not work as well indoors but outdoors it is almost perfect.

Just my 2 cents.

12-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
It is still a great camera. My oldest grandson has the same camera and has been using it heavily for the last 4 years without a single problem.

The suggestions for researching the database here is a great one. It is also a good idea to stay with Pentax in the beginning.

I would make two additional suggestions. Try to buy and use lenses that use a 49mm filter thread. This way you can buy just one set of filters that will work with all your lenses. Next, buy a hood. If you stay with the first suggestion you can buy a 49mm screw in hood that will work fine with most of your lenses.

Over the years I have accumulated a small set of lenses for my Pentax K1000 SE that work beautifully. These are certainly not the only ones that will work but they make a great, light, easy to use set that covers most of the bases.
* Pentax M 35/2
* Pentax M 50/1.7
* Pentax M 85/2
* Pentax M 135/3.5

Then, go buy an inexpensive set of extension tubes and everyone of these can be used as a macro.

Once you feel comfortable with those lenses then you can look at wider lenses, the Pentax M 24 is a nice one, and you can go longer. There are lots of choices from 200mm on but the filters are usually larger and you will need to have a better feeling how you want to use it. If you will use it indoors a lot than it should have a faster aperture. The 200/4 may not work as well indoors but outdoors it is almost perfect.

Just my 2 cents.
Thank you for the suggestions. Eventually, I'd like to get a long lens (something like a 300mm) and get a teleconverter since I like to shoot wildlife photography frequently. That may take me awhile though.
12-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Gotta disagree on this one. Something truly flat field is the way to go, especially considering macro was the first thing he listed. Grab an A 50mm 2.8 ($150-$200) or K 100 F4 ($150ish), and you will never want to use a standard on tubes again. There's also the added magnification - use these on tubes, and you are well past 1:1.

And if you do go for the third party route, Vivitars and Lester Dines can beat anything pre-F by Pentax.
I do love the K100/4 and I agree that it is a very nice little macro. But these are usually much tougher to find, not too mention much more expensive. Like a previous poster mentioned there will be many recommendations.

If you decide you want to spend a lot of money there are always a lot more options. The setup I recommended allows architectural, normal, portrait, low light, telephoto and macro photography, just to name a few. All using quality glass and all for about $200 total. You can certainly spend a whole lot more money, and a lot of people do every day, but you will not improve your photography very much by doing so. Spending a little money to start and really learning to use the equipment recommended will substantially improve your photography.

But...there is an awful lot of expensive equipment out there and it is your dollar after all.
12-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote

* Pentax M 35/2
* Pentax M 50/1.7
* Pentax M 85/2
* Pentax M 135/3.5

Just my 2 cents.
Tubes are a fantastic suggestion!! pentax-m 1.7/50mm and a set of vivitar AT macro tubes is one of my favorite macro setup. But you will need a flash even in full sunlight
here's a sample of my pentax-m 1.7/50mm and a set of 3 vivitar AT macro tubes uncropped.
12-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

That is a terrific shot Sliver-Surfer.

I know tubes are not quite as convenient as dedicated macro lenses but some of my favorite macro shots have been done with tubes. In their favor they are very light, very simple and very inexpensive. Even if you are not a camera case person (I am not) you can still slide them in your jacket pocket and have them with when you are out and about with your walkabout 50.
12-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Can anyone recommend a good extension tube set that I can use with my K1000SE?
12-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I still have my vivitar AT-22 PK tubes Excellent shape with case ..I upgraded to a Kenko PKA set because it has contacts which you dont need for K1000, Ill pm you
12-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay.