Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by miltona580 Quote
The 35-70 and its relatives really aren't macro lenses. They are close focus lenses though, which you sometimes see labeled as "macro." However you won't get 1:1 without extension. You can get 1:4 though, I think, and maybe more on the longer ones.

** correction, I looked it up - 35-70, and 35-135 are 0.25 magnification, and 35-105 is 0.10 magnification. Source -> Pentax Zoom Lenses with Medium Focal Lengths

Thank you for the info. The lens hasn't come yet. I'm hoping it will not be a disappointment!

12-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
PROGRESS UPDATE 12/24/2013

So I have acquired some more budget used lenses to use with my new K-5. And thanks to you guys I have picked up quite a bit of useful information since joining the forum a few weeks ago. Here is a little update. Any thoughts, comments, and advice will be most welcome!

So first came the 16-45 and 35-70. I really like the 35-70! But I figure the 16-45 is still my best zoom lens for the time being.

And now I also have a 28-105 that I got for $55; a M 50mm f/2; a M 50mm f/1.7; a M 28mm f/2.8; and yesterday I got a used 55-300 for $125.

The 28-105 is in great shape. The power zoom works, but I don't like it. It's too imprecise. I want to disable it, but I'm not sure how. There is a button and a sliding switch on the barrel. But they do not seem to be the way to turn off the power zoom feature.

I also want to know if this lens has any issues like front and back focusing. How do I determine this? I'm not sure why, but portions of my test shots look mushy. Mostly foreground.

The M primes are sort of a mystery. There's no A position on the aperture ring. I do not know how the numbers in the little rotating window affect exposure. So I haven't even tried these lenses. And I wonder if the two 50's are essentially redundant. Both look clean. The M 28mm f/2.8 has a nice cylindrical leather case. It came from a pawn shop. I am beginning to suspect it is worth more than $19. I had to get a lens cap for one of the M 50's.

The 55-300 hasn't arrived yet. It is the cheap DA L version, but I'm hoping it will not be optically inferior compared to the more expensive metal-mount versions.

Oh yeah, I also got a M42 Super Takumar 55mm f/2. But I need an adapter, and I'm not sure if I should get the flanged one or if the cheapest adapter will do. And some claim to allow infinity focus. What does that mean? And some have what looks to be some sort of spring loaded catch and others do not.

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-24-2013 at 02:20 PM.
12-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote

The 28-105 is in great shape. The power zoom works, but I don't like it. It's too imprecise. I want to disable it, but I'm not sure how. There is a button and a sliding switch on the barrel. But they do not seem to be the way to turn off the power zoom feature.

The M primes are sort of a mystery. There's no A position on the aperture ring. I do not know how the numbers in the little rotating window affect exposure. So I haven't even tried these lenses. And I wonder if the two 50's are essentially redundant. Both look clean. One has a nice cylindrical leather case.

The 55-300 hasn't arrived yet. It is the cheap DA L version, but I'm hoping it will not be optically inferior compared to the more expensive metal-mount versions.

Oh yeah, I also got a M42 Super Takumar 55mm f/2. But I need an adapter, and I'm not sure if I should get the flanged one or if the cheapest adapter will do. And some claim to allow infinity focus. What does that mean? And some have what looks to be some sort of spring loaded catch and others do not.
To turn off power zoom pull the zoom ring towards the aperture ring. Once the words Power Zoom are covered up it is in manual zoom mode.

This will show you how to use an M lens...

The DA L 55-300 is the same optically as the DA, it just has a plastic mount, no quick shift, and no focus scale.

If you want to use Taks you need the genuine Pentax Adapter. The flanged adapter is for macro use only as it adds a mm or so of extension and the lens can not focus to infinity. The cheap infinity adapters can cause problems, like getting stuck in the camera or causing the lens to be stuck to the camera. If you get one remove the spring clip that holds it in the mount (friction should be sufficient to hold it in when the lens is mounted), or file the spring that holds the spring clip in (many are too long and engage the threads of the lens making it stuck).
12-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Boris! Looks like many others have had to learn about vintage Pentax lenses before too! The video is so helpful and really tells it all. This place truly is a great resource! I really appreciate your help!

One last question. I have been shooting in DNG+Jpeg mode I believe, and it looks like the jpeg copies aren't appearing in Lightroom or Photoshop. Just the RAWs. Where'd the jpegs go? Am I actually not making identical jpegs?

If you know I could use your help!

On a side note, I think I'm going to hold off on any further lens acquisitions for now, unless I should happen spot a really good deal on an autofocus prime. I think I really want one. Maybe something in the 70 to 200 range. I have to figure out which old AF prime to search for, because I'd like one that doesn't cost multiple $100's, if possible.

But for now it looks like I can cover a range from 16-300 with a pretty wide variety of glass. Okay, so maybe it's old, obsolete, sub-par, average, run-of-the-mill, kit-grade glass that the serious guys here are bound to mock me for and laugh at, but I think my little budget arsenal will do in my case as I move ahead and start to begin to learn about the nice, neat-o Pentax DSLR body and the overwhelmingly complicated editing software I've bought! Really I'd rather do it this way than just getting the DA 18-55 and 50-200 kit lenses. To me they appear to be dumbed down tools that will not provide the most engaging user experience, although I'm sure they deliver the goods when it comes down to automation. I didn't want to cave in and get a cheap 55-300, but there doesn't seem to be any viable alternative. There just aren't a whole heck of a lot of longer zooms for Pentax. Just some basics, and then some very expensive high-performance options.

BTW Is "neat-o" an acceptable term among the esteemed brethren who roam these hallowed halls? LOL

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-24-2013 at 03:24 PM.
12-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #35
Site Supporter

One last question. I have been shooting in DNG+Jpeg mode I believe, and it looks like the jpeg copies aren't appearing in Lightroom or Photoshop. Just the RAWs. Where'd the jpegs go? Am I actually not making identical jpegs?

If you know I could use your help!
This might help

How Does Lightroom Handle Simultaneous RAW and JPEG Files?
12-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Thanks again Boris!

So the jpegs I took before I checked that box never got imported then right?
12-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #37
Pentaxian

So I have acquired some more budget used lenses to use with my new K-5. And thanks to you guys I have picked up quite a bit of useful information since joining the forum a few weeks ago. Here is a little update. Any thoughts, comments, and advice will be most welcome!

sounds like someone got bit by LBA (lens buying addiction. to read more about it, go here) rather badly! Just be careful, it's a slippery, slippery slope. Enjoy all your great purchases. Looks like you're going to have a wonderful christmas new year break playing with all your new toys.

FYI the m42 adapter should set you back between $20-$50 mark depending where you get it from, from memory. I seem to recall seeing someone post that B&H have it back in stock? It's just post Christmas, so my memory and information may be slightly dodgy but I am sure someone else will come and redirect you if I am wrong. And of course, once you get the adapter, all bets are off as the entire m42 catalogue is out there waiting desperately for you to get your paws on them.
12-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
sounds like someone got bit by LBA (lens buying addiction. to read more about it, go here) rather badly! Just be careful, it's a slippery, slippery slope. Enjoy all your great purchases. Looks like you're going to have a wonderful christmas new year break playing with all your new toys.

FYI the m42 adapter should set you back between $20-$50 mark depending where you get it from, from memory. I seem to recall seeing someone post that B&H have it back in stock? It's just post Christmas, so my memory and information may be slightly dodgy but I am sure someone else will come and redirect you if I am wrong. And of course, once you get the adapter, all bets are off as the entire m42 catalogue is out there waiting desperately for you to get your paws on them.
Thanks wolfiegirl! Did you get the LBA too at some point yourself?

12-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #39
Site Supporter

sounds like someone got bit by LBA (lens buying addiction. to read more about it, go here) rather badly!
Not LBA until you own 5 50mm lenses
12-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Thanks wolfiegirl! Did you get the LBA too at some point yourself?
is it that obvious?

I started off with just the kit lens, 18-55 and da 50-200. Then eventually went on a macro lens hunt that morphed into LBA on steroids.

I've had to cull my lens collection quite a bit and am still desperately trying to do it. These days I have the entire 17-300mm range covered in a mix of K, m42 and adaptall lens mounts. But I'm still on the lookout for anything wider or longer than what I've got. It never really ends

Have now resorted to doing Singles In (where you use one lens a month and take a shot daily) to try and get me on the straight and narrow and actually *use* all the purchases I made rather than just have them sitting in a box/cupboard/drawer collecting dust. I have been guilty of purchasing lenses and then maybe only using them once or twice to check that they work before putting them away, completely forgotten for a few years.

Having said that, my LBA has abated somewhat, but only by sheer willpower. It also helps that I moved on from LBA to CBA (camera buying addiction) and now own 3 camera bodies. My latest purchase was a Q, and then I went on a mini rampage getting accessories - all of which arrived yesterday

This combined with Singles In has me in a somewhat better state, but the inner LBA demon could still pop back up at any moment...

*not* good for the wallet or the relationship.
12-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
is it that obvious?

I started off with just the kit lens, 18-55 and da 50-200. Then eventually went on a macro lens hunt that morphed into LBA on steroids.

I've had to cull my lens collection quite a bit and am still desperately trying to do it. These days I have the entire 17-300mm range covered in a mix of K, m42 and adaptall lens mounts. But I'm still on the lookout for anything wider or longer than what I've got. It never really ends

Have now resorted to doing Singles In (where you use one lens a month and take a shot daily) to try and get me on the straight and narrow and actually *use* all the purchases I made rather than just have them sitting in a box/cupboard/drawer collecting dust. I have been guilty of purchasing lenses and then maybe only using them once or twice to check that they work before putting them away, completely forgotten for a few years.

Having said that, my LBA has abated somewhat, but only by sheer willpower. It also helps that I moved on from LBA to CBA (camera buying addiction) and now own 3 camera bodies. My latest purchase was a Q, and then I went on a mini rampage getting accessories - all of which arrived yesterday

This combined with Singles In has me in a somewhat better state, but the inner LBA demon could still pop back up at any moment...

*not* good for the wallet or the relationship.
Thanks wolfiegirl for your good humor and advice too!

I guess you could say I have been suffering from UCBA, or used camera buying addiction!

I have 63 cameras right now. But only two interchangeable lens cameras. I guess that's why I'm so interested in all the Pentax lens possibilities.

But I think I'm going to slow down. I really should. I mean, for now.

Although I just bought a used Tamron Pentax 80-210 for $30 a few minutes ago. The lens review says this old lens has a faster AF speed than the DA 55-300. Which might help my airliner shots, I'm thinking.
12-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Thanks wolfiegirl for your good humor and advice too!

I guess you could say I have been suffering from UCBA, or used camera buying addiction!

I have 63 cameras right now. But only two interchangeable lens cameras. I guess that's why I'm so interested in all the Pentax lens possibilities.

But I think I'm going to slow down. I really should. I mean, for now.

Although I just bought a used Tamron Pentax 80-210 for $30 a few minutes ago. The lens review says this old lens has a faster AF speed than the DA 55-300. Which might help my airliner shots, I'm thinking.
63 cameras! you win!

I also got into Pentax because of the lens possibilities. Enjoy your addictions. They certainly make life fun!
12-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have a bunch of compact cameras. Some top quality, some just odd and unique. And i do use about a third of them.

My favorites have always been "bridge super zooms" but the web sites I like never accept my pictures very often.

So one day I had the bright idea to check what cameras took the photos that were being accepted.

Canon DSLRs were number one by far. Followed by Nikon. But really Canon had the lead by far.

So I decided to buy a Nikon D70. And I couldn't get used to the thing. My Canon bridge camera was fun. But the D70 was work!

So I tried a couple of Canon DSLRs. They did seem to be easier to grasp. But they didn't inspire me.

Then I just said forget it. And I went back to my Canon super zoom, a little frustrated.

Now I'm not sure how I ended up buying a K-5, but there is something unique about it in comparison to the other DSLRs I've tried.

I actually want to pick it up learn it and use it. And I guess invest in it. You could say.

Hmmm.

Go figure.