Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Backwards diaphragm blades

I just purchased a used SMC DA Limited 70 mm lens from Adorama in NYC in like new condition. The lens does look brand new and hardly used, if even used at all. I did notice something strange. The diaphragm blades look like they were put on backwards. Normally the flat side faces the front of the lens and the side where they overlap is on the rear side facing into the camera when the lens is mounted. On this lens they are the exact opposite. Look into the front of the lens and you see the overlapping blades side. Is this a problem? I have not yet tried the lens to see if it impacts picture quality since if it is a problem I want to bring it back packaged exactly as I bought it. I am hoping it is not a problem issue since I got it for a good price and it is a lens I really wanted, but if this is a serious defect I would rather get it resolved as quickly as possible even if it means not having the lens. Any thoughts on this appreciated. The blades do open and close smoothly despite the apparent backwards installation.

12-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
Forum Member

My copy is exactly the same as yours, so I believe this is normal.
12-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Huh...interesting. The overlapping side faces the front on every lens I've ever noticed including dozens of old lenses sitting around me now. But picking up my DA 18-250 I see they face the back. Is that a modern change, maybe to lessen diffraction?

In any case, I consider front-facing to be "normal" if there is such a thing, and I'm quite sure you couldn't just "put them on backwards" and have the lens operate...

EDIT: I just looked around and found a couple older lenses with backward facing blades, although the vast majority are to the front. I guess it is just a design decision for each lens.
12-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I just looked around and found a couple older lenses with backward facing blades, although the vast majority are to the front. I guess it is just a design decision for each lens.
That is what I found as well when I reviewed my collection.

Steve

12-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for replies.I checked my lenses, I have 15 mm, 35mm, 40 mm and 100 mm DFA limiteds. Yes, I consider the 100 mm DFA a limited. All have diaphragm blades with overlapping side facing inward, opposite that of the 70 mm limited. I also have an F series 28 mm from my film days and that lens has diaphragm blades facing same as the DA 70 mm. So, it looks like it does vary from lens to lens. I tried the DA 70 mm out and it looks fine, so its a keeper.