Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Aegis, Peter.

As noted above, here is the same scene via the VL125 Lanthar. I gave up trying to shoot it 1:1 handheld and I don't have my tripod yet (I have the Markins Q3 head here waiting for it). I managed to handhold a decent rolled-out (between 1:3 or 4) version, though it loses relevance to the comparison.

Voigtlander 125mm Lanthar, close-focused to around 1:3-4. Handheld, ISO 100, f5.6. No processing other than DNG to jpg and resize.

EDIT: yes thats a rose in the background. Focusing on that teeny, tiny baby's breath took a while. Adavantage DA35 on that point. Also it seems the DA is a bit darker again... darn thing tricks me.

Last edited by thePiRaTE!!; 04-07-2008 at 10:41 AM.
04-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

interesting...looks like greater dof with the 125mm. That due to the distance from subject?
04-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
interesting...looks like greater dof with the 125mm. That due to the distance from subject?
Definately. At 1:1, the VL had a narrower FoV and similar DoF with about a 6 inch working distance (vs 1 inch for the DA) due to its higher magnification. For this shot I was more than a foot away. I stopped down to 5.6 for these tests to give more to the background scene. I gave up shooting 1:1 on this tiny subject with the VL, it was just too hard to hand hold. The DA was quite easy to do it with its close proximity though, a distinct advantage for the casual macro shooter.
04-07-2008, 11:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

That's due to the lower magnification of the shot. At the same magnification (e.g. 1:1), both lenses will have similar DOF.

04-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

what does the crop of the voigt shot look like?
04-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Txs Kelly for this review! After seen this images, I cannot wait untill mine arrives...

I have the FA 31 limited too, and once I get it, I will post comparison shots too...
04-07-2008, 12:10 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
what does the crop of the voigt shot look like?
I'm at work now, but I'll try and stabalize a couple macro crops for accurate 1:1 resolution comparison in the next day or two.

04-07-2008, 12:13 PM   #23
Veteran Member

one thing to consider is apples to apples. If you can't get the shot with the 125 handheld and available light, then that gives an advantage to the 35 under those conditions.

I'd be interested to see handheld to handheld what the crops look like. But that's just because I never use a tripod or monopod. I'm a heathen
04-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member

1:1 shot without a tripod is definitely difficult. For most of my handheld 1:1 shots, I focus to 1:1 then I slightly rock myself back and forth, and snap the picture when the intended subject is in focus. Stop down definitely helps as well. I probably stop by Samys on the way home today to grab a copy. If the 1:1 wide open performance is close to my Tokina's, it's a keeper. Can't wait.

How's the focus throw of this lens?
04-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
The foreground blurred baby's breath was nearly touching the glass, the in-focus sprig was approx 1 inch away from the front element. There you have it folks, wide-angle macro photography. I will say that with the lightness of the lens and close proximity, hand-holding sharp macros was a breeze. Thats a neat little advantage if you're just out and about shooting things.
Nice one. You make me want this lens! As I already want the FA31, this was perhaps an easy sell.
04-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #26
Veteran Member

focus throw is like a typical lens rather than massive like the Voigtlander. I find it easy to deal with, but it doesn't take 720 degrees to get where you need to go.
04-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Thank you for the quick response. I assume you meant typical AF lens. So it will be as short as the FA 77? I ask this because for high magnification work, precise focus is quite important. With short throw, a little touch can get you off from the focus point.
04-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
Thank you for the quick response. I assume you meant typical AF lens. So it will be as short as the FA 77? I ask this because for high magnification work, precise focus is quite important. With short throw, a little touch can get you off from the focus point.
hmm, let me check when I get home. I'm at work with the 35 on the camera right now. My muscle memory says about the same as the 77 but I'll look at them back to back.

Part of the issue is that with 35mm you can't really get "high magnification", although I know what you're saying. You can get ridiculously close to your subject with the lens (I got some pollen on the filter yesterday). The only problem there is that you can have lighting issues. Thankfully the lens is pretty svelte.
04-07-2008, 03:43 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
How's the focus throw of this lens?
Half barrel twist, pretty good feel. I had no trouble manually finding my focus with it. I do things similar to yourself at 1:1. Just dial up 1:1, then creep my head into the focus area and burst fire through it. Its definately not helicoid smooth, you can still feel the screw drive in there as you twist, but its limited quality and a longer throw than the non macros versions.

FWIW Nostatic, I updated my comparison earlier this morning to reflect the niche the 35 may carve as a pocket friendly casual macro.

Re, shooting 1:1, also noted as an advantage in the comparison of proximity reducing the effect of tremble on hand-held macro shooting... anyways, its all written there, heh.

Back to work... :|
04-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I got out of work early in hope of getting one. Unfortunately, the local Samys doesn't have one. They said it is a special order item, not likely to be stocked in store any time in the future. I guess I need to wait for my local Ritz to have one.