Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
where are you at that has a ritz that caries pentax? When I worked for them I was under the impression that there were only two or three districts in the country that carried pentax (and we were one of them).

04-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I live in Tustin, California. The Ritz right here actually carries both of the DA* zooms, and the K20D as well. I think they have few other 3rd party lenses for Pentax. I asked the owner, and she said the DA 35mm is on order, though she's uncertain when it will be available.
04-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #33
Veteran Member

just checked the 35 vs. the 77. throw is the same for both.

I got mine at Bel Air Camera in Westwood. Kinda far from Tustin but you could call and see if they have another one.
04-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
just checked the 35 vs. the 77. throw is the same for both.

I got mine at Bel Air Camera in Westwood. Kinda far from Tustin but you could call and see if they have another one.
Good muscle memory! I tested the 31, its a quarter barrel, not very precise for MF, though it feels fine. Being designed for film, it was a wide angle at one point, less suited to the sort of focus precision required of the macro, but it would still be nice to have, as it is actually quite decent up close. The 35 is slightly less half a barrel now that I've tested it, around a 45% throw, good enough to meets its needs. I'm jealous for the extra range for my 31. Ah well, can't have it all

04-07-2008, 11:17 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Good muscle memory! I tested the 31, its a quarter barrel, not very precise for MF, though it feels fine. Being designed for film, it was a wide angle at one point, less suited to the sort of focus precision required of the macro, but it would still be nice to have, as it is actually quite decent up close. The 35 is slightly less half a barrel now that I've tested it, around a 45% throw, good enough to meets its needs. I'm jealous for the extra range for my 31. Ah well, can't have it all
Compare w/ the Vivitar 105 macro and VL125/2.5 macro, 45% throw seems to be very short
04-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #36
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Compare w/ the Vivitar 105 macro and VL125/2.5 macro, 45% throw seems to be very short
Pentax FA31mm ltd = 90 degree rotation

Pentax DA35mm ltd macro = approx 160 degree rotation

Voightlander 125mm Lanthar = 630 degree rotation!!!

I think 630 would kill the battery if it was AF like the 35. They can get away with this infinite precision on a MF helicoid like this though, and for those of us interested in that, its heaven. Still though, it makes the DA quicker. I think on paper its easy to dismiss the 35 as a 'serious' macro, but its not a bad thing for the type of macro niche it seems to fill... or even create - casual, pocket macro.

The little DA has shown me a personality afterall, abeit not one suited enough to keep it in my bag (as you know Frank, hehe).
04-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Half a barrel is not too bad.

@nostatic: How much did you pay for your macro?
04-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Pentax FA31mm ltd = 90 degree rotation

Pentax DA35mm ltd macro = approx 160 degree rotation

Voightlander 125mm Lanthar = 630 degree rotation!!!

I think 630 would kill the battery if it was AF like the 35. They can get away with this infinite precision on a MF helicoid like this though, and for those of us interested in that, its heaven. Still though, it makes the DA quicker. I think on paper its easy to dismiss the 35 as a 'serious' macro, but its not a bad thing for the type of macro niche it seems to fill... or even create - casual, pocket macro.

The little DA has shown me a personality afterall, abeit not one suited enough to keep it in my bag (as you know Frank, hehe).
When I tried the VL125 macro the first time, the focus ring just kept turning. Oh man, I really loved that feeling. I had the Pentax A 100/2.8 macro before, but that one only turns about one full round. The VL125 (and the Vivitar 105 too) just feels even better in this regard.

But I agree, for an AF macro lens, especially tiny one like the DA35, a half throw probably would be a better choice

Will let you know how I feel about the new DA35 macro when I have it in my hands