Super lens especially for the price.
My girlfriend refers to it as "the lens that makes me look good."

As in: "Is that the..." OR "Can you put on..."

10-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
U&me both, Ben.
I can't get enough of that lens and have let everyone here know it on more than one occasion!
Nice capture - I love the low-key effect on the shot and strikingly sharp.
Not only can I see all the eyelashes, but even all the baby hair on her face! The detail is almost too much!

Here's my own contribution with this fabulous piece of glassware, shot at f/1.4!:

oh my god. very sharp picture.

did u use external flash or natural light for this brother?
10-10-2008, 12:15 AM   #78
Damn Brit

I don't use it much but it's the lens that can get you out of a hole so it's worth carrying around, it doesn't take up much space.
Here's a shot I took backstage at a concert a few weeks ago in failing light.
I chose the small DOF to soften the focus, I thought it was kinder to her, she's not young anymore unfortunately.
I thought it handled the OOF people both in back and the single person in front very well.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 03-29-2010 at 07:40 PM.
10-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #79
Inactive Account

The FA50 1.4 is simply a must own lens for everyone.

c[_]

10-10-2008, 10:50 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
The FA50 1.4 is simply a must own lens for everyone.

c[_]
It is a classic and considering that it is like a 75mm 1.4 lens, it is astounding.

Everyone should own one.

Ben
10-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Am I expecting too much?

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
It is a classic and considering that it is like a 75mm 1.4 lens, it is astounding.

Everyone should own one.

Ben
There are some great shots with the 50 f/1.4 but I'm starting to think I'm expecting too much resolution from the lens on a K100D. This was shot @ f/8 and 1/45th, Manual Mode, auto ISO and WB, on a tripod, shake reduction off and using the two-second timer. In other words, everything I could think of to get the best possible resolution/sharpness etc. The second image is the HDR version... and still, it lacks that je ne sais quoi image quality I'm looking for.

HDR version:

Any ideas? Upgrade the camera? Upgrade the lens? Upgrade the photographer?
All input welcomed,
Brian (FHPhotographer)
10-10-2008, 11:49 AM   #82
Inactive Account

At that close of a distance, even at f/8, you are still running into shallow DOF issues, that's probably what you're seeing when you think it's not as sharp as can be.

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
There are some great shots with the 50 f/1.4 but I'm starting to think I'm expecting too much resolution from the lens on a K100D. This was shot @ f/8 and 1/45th, Manual Mode, auto ISO and WB, on a tripod, shake reduction off and using the two-second timer. In other words, everything I could think of to get the best possible resolution/sharpness etc. The second image is the HDR version... and still, it lacks that je ne sais quoi image quality I'm looking for.

[Any ideas? Upgrade the camera? Upgrade the lens? Upgrade the photographer?
All input welcomed,
Brian (FHPhotographer)

10-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #83
Veteran Member

I'm confused on this DOF thing...

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

Everyone should own one.

Ben
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
At that close of a distance, even at f/8, you are still running into shallow DOF issues, that's probably what you're seeing when you think it's not as sharp as can be.
I must be confused on this point. I thought depth of field was controlled by the f-stop of the lens assuming the shot was in focus. Are you saying DOF is also affected by the distance to the focus point? That if I'm at the minimum distance for the 50 f/1.4 (18" according to photozone) that the image quality will be impacted by that DOF compared to shooting from say 24"?
Brian (FHPhotog)
10-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #84
Inactive Account

Of course DOF is affected by the distance to the subject! Look up a Depth-of-field calculator online. Or you can try it yourself....
10-10-2008, 03:40 PM   #85
Veteran Member

but that wasn't my question...

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Of course DOF is affected by the distance to the subject! Look up a Depth-of-field calculator online. Or you can try it yourself....
Sorry, that wasn't my question. I get the perspective change, and the DOF change with subject distance, but is there an image quality change?

Maybe another term would help narrow my question: from dpreview Glossary "Subject distance is the distance between the camera (lens) and the main subject. Varying the subject distance will change perspective. Also, varying the subject distance with the same aperture will produce a different depth of field."

I'll run a test with the 50 f/1.4 and see what happens, from the minimum distance of 18" in increments up to say 36"?
Brian
10-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Love my FA 50/1.4

Tran
10-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #87
Damn Brit

Tran, that is a nice portrait, is your monitor callibrated because it looks quite yellow on my screen.
10-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #88

that is a great example of the DOF of this lens! People say it is soft wide open, which it might be, but from 5 feet away, the DOF is literally 1 inch. Not a lot is in focus. I love my fast fifty.
10-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Tran, that is a nice portrait, is your monitor callibrated because it looks quite yellow on my screen.
Thanks .

It looks fine on mine and others .. until now .

What kind of monitor do you have ? I'm up for a upgrade ..soon !
10-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #90
Inactive Account

I love this lens

Mine is pretty sharp wide open-
Couple of quick jpegs in low light-
F1.4 1/30 iso 200