Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
What is Quick Shift?

Thx
It is a feature on your lens that allows manual focus adjustments after AF has locked.

Also:

C.R.I.S. = Camera repair in Arizona who handle Pentax warranty repairs (LINK)
Eric = Eric Hendrickson, independent Pentax repair technician in Tennessee. (LINK)

Eric works mostly with film-era gear, but may (?) be able to service your lens. The price to do so may be close to what you paid for your lens. That is why the recommendation is that you may wish to return to sender. You had problems immediately on receipt that will likely recur. The lens was advertised as being in working condition, end of story.

Steve

12-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
BTW So what is CRIS and who is Eric?

Thx
C.R.I.S. is a camera repair service out of Arizona. They do warranty repair for Pentax.

https://www.criscam.com/

Eric is Eric Hendrickson. He is the go to guy for repair of older Pentax cameras and lenses.

Home
12-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW So what is CRIS and who is Eric?

Thx
CRIS is CRIS Camera Repair who is the designated warranty repair depot for Pentax (Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Olympus, Sigma, etc.). They are located in the Phoenix, Arizona area.

Eric is Eric Hendrickson - He is a living legend in the Pentax world. He is the go to Pentax Repair Technician extraordinaire. He worked for Pentax in the 70's and now in retirement still repairs our cameras.Eric has a very large and loyal following here on the forum - all by word of mouth, and tremendous talent, skill and capability.

12-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Okay! Thanks you guys. Does Eric visit these forums ever? Maybe he will spot this thread!

And darn it! Do you guys really think what happened is more than just a hiccup, like maybe that the neoprene case was too tight fitting and pressed the ring in too much or something?

The "After" pictures I posted don't look focused right to you?

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-14-2013 at 02:58 PM.
12-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
What is Quick Shift?
QS is a feature on your (manual) focusing ring what allows it to move/re-focus in AutoFocus mode. (You can move focusing ring while in AF mode) Great stuff!

To sum it up (have both, K-5&DA16-45)

- DA16-45 has no motor
- DA16-45 has QS!
- K-5 has the assist beam for LOW lite, turns on/off in menu
- it seems your K-5 didn't get hurt by new jammed lens

Your package could have been handled "ugly" in shipping to jam zooming/focusing. If it works, use the lens - it's a fun one with reversed zoom action (extends to get wide). You got it CHEEP!
12-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Did your lens work when it arrived, or had you not checked it until a week after it arrived? If it worked when it arrived a week ago, it's not the seller's fault.

Also, the 16-45 is a very nice lens. I preferred it to the DA*16-50, DA 17-70 and DA 18-55, which I owned all at the same time. I kept only the 16-45. For the price you paid, I'd keep it and not worry about it. Use it and take great photos.
12-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Those sample photos look pretty consistent to me. Is it possible that a piece of neoprene got suck in the focus ring? Like, between the cracks? It might have been just a hiccup. If the lens works normally and doesn't make any odd sounds (don't shake it to check! Its not a shaker), you can just keep your fingers crossed and use it :X
But keep those contacts of CRIS and Eric close. If this problem is consistent or if something falls out of the lens (like a tiny screw), be sure to get it checked.
12-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Did your lens work when it arrived, or had you not checked it until a week after it arrived? If it worked when it arrived a week ago, it's not the seller's fault.

Also, the 16-45 is a very nice lens. I preferred it to the DA*16-50, DA 17-70 and DA 18-55, which I owned all at the same time. I kept only the 16-45. For the price you paid, I'd keep it and not worry about it. Use it and take great photos.

Really? Isn't the 16-50 a super-duper performer that everyone covets?

12-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, not really. The 16-50 is expensive, its f2.8 but I do landscapes and I can afford to leave the shutter open a bit longer (its on a tripod), plus I need a deep depth of field. I really don't like hauling around big, plus its a SDM lens with the built in focus motor that depending on what posts you read, appears to fail a lot (even though Pentax Japan say it doesn't) [Note - they could have enabled the screwdrive as a backup option]. So, for me lenses are optics and not focus motors, screwdrive is just fine, especially since the last few lenses I acquired were manual focus.

The lens was co-designed with Tokina (there were a group of them - 10-17, 12-24, 16-50, 50-135) and various optical problems were reported with the Tokina (soft corners, etc.) and Tokina discontinued their version a couple of years ago.

12-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote

I would totally agree here. If it worked upon arrival then the seller is not responsible. When you buy used you assume some risk. I had a cheap 35-80mm do this exact same thing. I gave it a fairly hard knock to the focus ring and presto, loosened up, worked fine forever thereafter. I would just use it and not worry, you did get a great price!
12-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Interested_Observer answered this question really well. The 16-50 has some strengths, such as weather-sealing and f/2.8. I liked the photos from it just fine, but they never could compete with my primes so I was never sold on the ability of the lens. The 16-45 also has some strengths, such as sharpness and price. My 16-45 at 16mm was always way sharper than my DA 15mm Limited, and photos from the 16-45 were just as good as the ones from the 16-50 at f/4 and slower.

The DA* 50-135 is a much better example of a coveted lens that performs very well. However I prefer my FA* 80-200 or I'd get the 50-135 and convert to a screw-driven-only lens.

Of all those lenses, the DA 17-70 performed the best optically and had the best range. However, after CRIS replaced the entire failed SDM assembly twice, I decided SDM lenses weren't for me and that's part of the reason I sold the 16-50. I've been very happy with my 16-45.
12-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
UPDATE

I just got home. I checked the 16-45 lens. It's working perfectly normal as far as I can tell.

No one has given their own two cents on the theory I have about the neoprene case being too tight and small for this camera and lens combo. I am wondering if perhaps the front of the lens was pushed back too firmly against the barrel by my cramming the K-5/16-45 into this little case, even though the case is made out of stretchy neoprene. Is this possible?
12-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #28
Site Supporter

See ma318's thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/68137-da-16-45-repair.html, perhaps you've a similar problem...
12-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #29
Veteran Member

UPDATE

I just got home. I checked the 16-45 lens. It's working perfectly normal as far as I can tell.

No one has given their own two cents on the theory I have about the neoprene case being too tight and small for this camera and lens combo. I am wondering if perhaps the front of the lens was pushed back too firmly against the barrel by my cramming the K-5/16-45 into this little case, even though the case is made out of stretchy neoprene. Is this possible?
That is exactly what I thought, but when you said the neoprene case was tight, you didn't say if it was tight around the sides of the lens, or tight front to back pushing on the end of the lens.

I think it is very possible if there was pressure on the end of the lens that it pushed the barrel back into the lens body enough to slightly jam it.
12-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #30
Veteran Member

It sounds like something got inside the lens and the focus ring got stuck. If you were able to brake it loose and its been working since then, I would not worry too much.

Also, just keep in mind when taking pictures like that (from your samples posted) that this is not a WR lens and you should pay attention more to it. Especially with that barrel that extends so much - yes I have exactly the same lens and you got a very good price on it.
All the water/salt spray from the cars could get inside the lens and damage the mechanisms.

Enjoy the lens. Always try your lenses as soon as they arrive - and give them a very good clean before mounting them on.

If you think the neoprene case is too tight, stop using it! Squeezing the lens or camera is usually not a good idea.

Last edited by mrNewt; 12-16-2013 at 05:43 PM.