Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Forum Member

Spot on SMC coating

I'm looking at a used lens online that says it has a spot on the SMC coating. The seller claims it doesn't affect pictures. Is this something I should be concerned with? It's a relatively expensive lens (for me).. about $500.

Thanks!

12-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It may not affect pictures but I wouldn't accept a spot on a $500 lens, no way.
12-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Agree with Ole. The front optic usually has surprisingly little effect on the output of the lens. Even small cracks can be invisible. But it can lower overall contrast and in worse case cause odd flares and parts of the photo being "soft". And the deterioration/damage might continue. It can even be an indication of other damage.
But! With very old lenses, its very hard to find a lens without spots or "cleaning marks." So I don't worry about this (or dust inside the lens) if Im buying a lens from the 70s.
For $500 I would expect the lens to be mint, though. Unless its a very rare special lens with collector value or something. I suggest you look elsewhere or try to bring the price down by half. Can you find the lens for sale on some other website or marketplace? Like on these forums or on Keh, on local market websites.. that might help you compare prices and make a better decision. (in case $500 is already a real bargain for this lens)

Last edited by Na Horuk; 12-16-2013 at 05:09 PM.
12-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
It may not affect pictures but I wouldn't accept a spot on a $500 lens, no way.
What he said.

Would you accept a $500 "spotted" lens new? Why should you accept one used?

Steve

12-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for everyones feedback. Its a pentax-fa 24mm. KEH has them in excellent condition for about $650. So $500 is a lot to me, but slightly discounted for current used price.
12-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Depends on what the used lens is. If it is a normally expensive lens, but the price was reduced to $500 because of the imperfection, go for it.

Check Amazon, Ebay (completed transactions), the PF marketplace, B&H/Adorama/KEH, and local Craigslist listings to see if you can find a rough average used price for that lens you're looking at, and see how it compares to this $500 offer.
12-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

If you think you might want or need to sell the lens some time in the future, you're best off to hold out for an 'unspotted' one.