Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #1

DA* vs. WR

Probably a simple question with a simple answer. Are all of the DA* lenses as weather sealed as the WR marked lenses, or does DA* weather sealing only consist of a mount rubber seal? I know I've seen some of the DA* put to the same punishment as WR lenses, being soaked with a garden hose, or covered in mud and rinsed off. Does this apply to all DA* lenses?

Thanks.

12-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DA* lenses are considered AW by Pentax. It is a higher level of sealing than WR.

QuoteQuote:
What is the difference between WR and AW?
What is the difference between DA WR and DA* lenses in terms of weather sealing?
Why are the D FA 645 55mm and DA 645 25mm lenses designated as AW?
WR and AW both designate weather-sealed lenses. Non-star lenses that are designated WR use a "simplified weather-resistant construction" to protect against ingress of water. DA* lenses, although not indicated as such in the lens name, are considered AW (newer boxes for DA* lenses are often marked as such) and are "dust-proof and water-resistant because each part is individually sealed" (page 7 of the DA lens manual), offering a higher level of protection against environmental conditions than the WR designation indicates. The above 645 lenses are marketed as fully sealed against dust and water, at the same level as DA* lenses.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/192493-wr-aw-lens...#ixzz2nwRz3ZWO
12-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Supposedly the DA* and AW lenses are the same sealing. WR lenses have a simplified version of the weather sealing. But truly only Ricoh knows and it might not even be the same on all lenses.
12-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
So I see. So the DA* is supposedly better than the marked WR. Good to know, thanks. I was trying to figure out what I wanted as a weather sealed go to lens, and I think the DA* 55mm 1.4 is calling my name. I think I would like it more than the 18-55 WR. I just need something for when the weather isn't cooperating, or when I am in caves or walking the river.