Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question about Samyang lenses

Does anyone know if Samyang lenses in the Pentax K mount has a "A" setting on the aperture ring? I am interested in the soon to be released 10mm lens, but would not be interested if no auto setting on the aperture ring. The process of setting the shutter speed (using the green button) when setting the aperture by using the aperture ring on the lens is simply too convoluted and inconvenient for my liking.

12-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Does anyone know if Samyang lenses in the Pentax K mount has a "A" setting on the aperture ring? I am interested in the soon to be released 10mm lens, but would not be interested if no auto setting on the aperture ring. The process of setting the shutter speed (using the green button) when setting the aperture by using the aperture ring on the lens is simply too convoluted and inconvenient for my liking.
All the current ones do, yes.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Basically the green button will do a light reading for whatever aperature setting you have on the ring.
Its basically a 2 step.
1. Press the green button for a light reading
2. Press the shutter button for a picture.

You could set it to 'TAv mode' - if you're shooting wide open only.
12-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
Basically the green button will do a light reading for whatever aperature setting you have on the ring.
Its basically a 2 step.
1. Press the green button for a light reading
2. Press the shutter button for a picture.

You could set it to 'TAv mode' - if you're shooting wide open only.
No need to use the green button. They have an A setting as Adam mentioned.

12-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the answers. The two step process that one has to use with out the A setting is too convoluted for me ...so as long as there is an A setting on the aperture ring, I am interested in this lens.
12-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Some sites will show a photo of some other mount, so that's misleading.
12-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Just as an FYI for reference (I'm a rookie here, not a pro) but I have a Rokinon 85mm f/1.4, and this is spot on

Using Older Lenses on PENTAX K-30 | Ricoh Imaging Support

Again, I 'can' use Av/TAv/Tv mode - but the lens is 'wide open' and EXIF will show f/1.4 = but you won't need to use the green button.
12-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
Dan

Just as an FYI for reference (I'm a rookie here, not a pro) but I have a Rokinon 85mm f/1.4, and this is spot on

Using Older Lenses on PENTAX K-30 | Ricoh Imaging Support

Again, I 'can' use Av/TAv/Tv mode - but the lens is 'wide open' and EXIF will show f/1.4 = but you won't need to use the green button.
Those instructions apply to very old lenses that do not have an "A" setting. Are you saying that there is no "A" on your aperture ring? I have never seen a Rokinon in a Pentax mount without it. If you do have an "A" setting than you may want to try using it. Life will become a bit easier!

By the way, one of the advantages of using the "A" setting is that the camera will record the aperture setting. If you set the aperture using the aperture ring the camera does not record the aperture setting.

Dan

12-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think I see the error in my ways... as this is my first manual lens, I misread the use of 'A' on this lens as a 'feature' rather than an actual apertiure setting on the lens (coloured differently from the aperture settings) and pretty much stuck myself in manual mode or f/1.4 when using the other modes.

Shows how green I am here. Thanks for the help. I think this one threw me for a loop.
12-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

One thing that is an annoyance with the K-30 for me is that the "hump" protrudes right on top of the lens, making it hard to actually get the aperture ring into the "A" position.
12-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
One thing that is an annoyance with the K-30 for me is that the "hump" protrudes right on top of the lens, making it hard to actually get the aperture ring into the "A" position.
Once it is in 'A', there is no reason to take it out ever again. (Probably.)
12-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Once it is in 'A', there is no reason to take it out ever again. (Probably.)
Thts a true statement...still I wonder why they designed it like that anyway. I guess aperture ring accessability wasn't a high priority on the engineer's list.
12-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Yes - that last 'notch' was pretty hard to hit on the 85mm f/1.4, and hold down the pin to put it in the A position. I actually took the lens off to put it in the A position. I'm sure they designed it that way to 'encourage' you to purchase a lens w/o an aperture ring like ... a 18-135WR DC... or any other lens they sell.
12-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes - that last 'notch' was pretty hard to hit on the 85mm f/1.4, and hold down the pin to put it in the A position. I actually took the lens off to put it in the A position. I'm sure they designed it that way to 'encourage' you to purchase a lens w/o an aperture ring like ... a 18-135WR DC... or any other lens they sell.
The aperture ring was an evolution. Initially there was no 'A' setting, and you'd often use the aperture ring by feel (memorize the F-stops, know whether they are full, half etc. by click, or just watch the exposure needle on the right side of the viewfinder to see how over and under you are). Most (all?) K- KA- KAF-lenses with an aperture ring are still usable on a film camera including the film cameras where the body can't control the aperture. There's a manual linkage that communicates the aperture to the body (this linkage is ignored on all recent DSLRs). An 'A' setting without a lock to go in and out would make manual aperture use on a film body potentially more tricky since it's not really an F-Stop, and on a body where you keep the lens in the 'A' setting most of the time (like a DSLR) you could ruin a shot by accidentally moving the aperture ring out of 'A'.