Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I went for the 21.. (good buy at U$300) So Iīll receive it and DA15 at the same time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
In my opinion, k5 to k5iis is an unnecessary upgrade, the only reason to buy the iis is to possess both.
It was a straight trade for me but I am hoping for better AF accuracy and consistence than K-5. Also hope to benefit from lack of AA filter for sharper images (shooting artwork).

Example of a 200x70cm paint in a single frame on K-5 at 50mm (working on the 2 frames image at 70mm)

12-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
I went for the 21.. (good buy at U$300)
Hooray! You finally got one. Post pictures later after you get it. I want your take on it. So far I'm really liking the focal length of mine.
02-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Update, So I finally went for the K-5IIs, kept the 15mm and bought the 21mm. Used both extensively (along with DA10-17, DA40 and DA70) during my vacations in New York in January (DA16-50 left the hotel only during 1 rainy day) and in the south of Argentina in February (Again, DA16-50 didnīt leave the car).
After this I feel obliged to quote this phrase:
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Perhaps the 21 will become the girl in the subway window seen from the station--lovely but now gone from memory.
True, next to the 15mm I rearly choose the 21mm, but I recognize it was really useful in some ocations in NY and very pleasent to use wide open. I donīt think I will sell the 21mm for the moment. Perhaps the most materialistic part of me wants to hang to this little master piece of engineering or it is too nice to go out with it and DA40xs in a pocket and DA70 (w/o hood) in another

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Hooray! You finally got one. Post pictures later after you get it. I want your take on it. So far I'm really liking the focal length of mine.
In did, the FL is really nice, as it ressembles 28mm on 135 format quite well for me. Iīll update this thread with pictures of the mentioned places as soon as I get some free time.

Again, thanks for the advice
02-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Update, So I finally went for the K-5IIs, kept the 15mm and bought the 21mm. Used both extensively (along with DA10-17, DA40 and DA70) during my vacations in New York in January (DA16-50 left the hotel only during 1 rainy day) and in the south of Argentina in February (Again, DA16-50 didnīt leave the car).
After this I feel obliged to quote this phrase:

True, next to the 15mm I rearly choose the 21mm, but I recognize it was really useful in some ocations in NY and very pleasent to use wide open. I donīt think I will sell the 21mm for the moment. Perhaps the most materialistic part of me wants to hang to this little master piece of engineering or it is too nice to go out with it and DA40xs in a pocket and DA70 (w/o hood) in another

In did, the FL is really nice, as it ressembles 28mm on 135 format quite well for me. Iīll update this thread with pictures of the mentioned places as soon as I get some free time.

Again, thanks for the advice
Good choices, in my opinion. I recently added the 21 to my kit, with the 15, 35 macro Ltd and 70 Ltd. I like the 21 a lot, and find it complements the 15 with different strengths. And they are such lovely works of art in themselves.

02-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here are some shots from NYC:

15mm @ f/4, ISO800, 1/90sec

15mm @ f/4, ISO1600, 1/60sec

21mm @ f/3.2, ISO1600, 1/4sec

40mm @ f/2.8, ISO1600, 1/15sec

70mm @ f/2.4, ISO1600, 1/30sec

70mm @ f/2.4, ISO1600, 1/30sec

20.6mm @ f/2.8, ISO1600, 1/125sec (DA16-50)

10mm @ f/5.6, ISO200, 1/2sec (DA10-17)

Last edited by carrrlangas; 02-22-2014 at 04:17 AM.
02-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Great shots! Yesterday I compared the 15mm Ltd and 21mm Ltd accidentally on the same landscape shot of snow covered trees following a recent storm. Both images were cropped to the same scene to eliminate the wider FOV of the 15mm. The 15 was stopped down to f/18, ISO 200. The 21 was stopped to f/14, ISO 100. I think the comparison shows the 21 actually has better color saturation and pops more. I should have used same ISO and f-stop, but I was just shooting randomly and later discovered the subjects were the same white oak tree with snow laden leaves. But the comparison shows why each lens has unique properties, with the cropped out portion of the 15 extending way beyond what the 21 captured. I love both these lenses and the 21 got off the subway to join me!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
02-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Waterfall - thanks for the comparison. It would be interesting to see if you had used the same iso and f-stop if the results would have been the same? They do look fairly similar, good.
02-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
Waterfall - thanks for the comparison. It would be interesting to see if you had used the same iso and f-stop if the results would have been the same? They do look fairly similar, good.
Light was different also. The 15mm shot was about 2.5 hours before the 21 shot. The more intense colors on the latter may be a result of that difference?

02-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is a huge difference between 21mm and 15mm in terms of FOV. As a result, moving closer to the subject (zooming with your feet) may not be an option for many subjects. There is also the fact that perspective is determined by the lens position relative to the subject and as such, zooming with one's feet is never fully equivalent to actually using the longer focal length. Cropping, on the other hand, always retains the desired perspective, though with some loss of quality.

Steve

(...big fan of primes, but truth is truth and zooming with one's feet is not quite there...)
Good point and one that I think gets lost a lot.

Say you have a 15mm and you "zoom with your feet" to get a portrait. You're going to end up a few inches from your subject and she's going to look like she has a giant nose! That is a bit of an extreme example but it remains true that the perspective changes with focal length that is one of the most important aspects of photography.
02-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Isn't it more the case that perspective changes because of the distance from the subject?

(I tend to get confused about visual stuff 'cos I'm blind in one eye. True story)
03-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
Isn't it more the case that perspective changes because of the distance from the subject?
Yes, distance and position {like in tilt (vertial), rotate (horizontal) and angle of incidence (different from the normal to the plane of the subject)} relative to subject. I think the problem with only one eye is to percieve depth but you should see these effects as they are visible even in two dimensions.

Last week I used DA21 over DA15 for compactness and over DA40 for greater field of view and I found other advantage of the 21 that has to do with Baggaīs question: I donīt need to be so careful about tilting or rotating the camera and creating distracting converging or diverging lines in the background.
I also found out that although contrast is very good at f/3.2 (wide open) sharpness is only good at the center and this doesnīt look very good when subjectīs eyes are off center. I am still trying to work arround that.