Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2013, 05:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

UWA Lens on a budget

Hello good people!

Recently I decided that I need/want a wider lens since I like traveling and sometimes I'm stuck with nothing wide to reach to. Also I have a Tokina wide zoom 20-35mm that I use on film and I like very much so I'd like to be able to do the same with digital.

I was thinking about getting a 15mm Limited lens from Pentax because I like what I've seen from it, but it looks to be very expensive and because I'm a cheapskate I summed it up to these two options:

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
Pros: 2x Zoom, Autofocus.
Cons: APS-c only (can't use on film).

Samyang 14mm f/2.8
Pros: Very sharp (or so they say), compatible for 35mm cameras and hugely wide while at it, Fast
Cons: Manual focus, No zoom (usually I wouldn't mind but with the Tokina I like to use the longer end from time to time).

What do you think? Other suggestions are welcome and appreciated of course.

12-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Morning,

I see you have a 16-50, so several thoughts come to mind.
  • Have you considered stitching? You can use Microsoft ICE - the download is free.
  • 15mm and 14mm is not that much wider. Its about 1+ degree/mm wider. Probably the best approach is the Sigma 10-20.
  • It all depends on how much you use film. There is where you will get the additional width from the 14mm - its the additional width from the sensor, not necessarily the lens.

12-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Get the sigma 10-20mm, like what was said above the 14-15mm lenses are not that much wider than your 16-50. I prefer the f3.5 sigma tbough because it has a 7 bladed diaphragm for superior sun stars and because it has hsm focusing.

David
12-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Morning,

I see you have a 16-50, so several thoughts come to mind.
  • Have you considered stitching? You can use Microsoft ICE - the download is free.
  • 15mm and 14mm is not that much wider. Its about 1+ degree/mm wider. Probably the best approach is the Sigma 10-20.
  • It all depends on how much you use film. There is where you will get the additional width from the 14mm - its the additional width from the sensor, not necessarily the lens.

Yes I do have the 16-50mm and it is a consideration for this decision. I believe 14mm is a big difference in field of view, much more than two degrees, and yet 10mm is so much wider.

I do stitch from time to time for landscape photos using Hugin, but I find it doesn't do the trick for architecture or closer subjects.

It seems like the zoom has many advantages but I would then have two travel zooms that are not compatible with film so that means even more lenses to load.

12-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter

How about the Sigma 8-16? Talk about wide, and you're not overlapping the 16-50. I love mine.
12-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
Emperor and Senpai

I've had the Tamron 10-24, and I really liked it, plus it can be had cheap, and is usable on full frame at about 13mm to 24mm. The only reason I sold it is because I got the Sigma 8-16.
12-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hm, I think the 14mm would be much wider than the 16-50mm.. It should also render better, since it is a prime and not an extreme end of a zoom. I think the Samyang 14mm has around 90 degree angle of view (on crop) and the 16-50mm only 83degres? I dont have a 16-50mm to compare, though.
The 14mm Samyang is great if you get a good copy. Watch out for decentering and miscalibrated distance scales, and you should be good. Unfortunately, its practically the only UWA on a budget. Apart from maybe Zenitar 16mm or another fisheye lens. The main downsides of the 14mm are the QC (which I mentioned), lack of AF, lack of filter ring, and overall size (its a relatively heavy lens). If you can live with those, I recommend it. Also, look at its rebranded versions, the Vivitar and Rokinon and Bower. Sometimes you can get it at a great discount like that.
I like to take it with me as a landscape lens and even for city photography.