Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Old M42 extreme telephoto primes and TC's?

Hello everybody!

I'm wondering if anybody has tried a combination of a modern TC (Sigma 1.4 or 2.0) and an ancient M42 extreme telephoto prime (especially the Takumar 500mm f4.5). I happen to have a Sigma 1.4 TC lying around and am considering the Takumar.

Thanks for any info,
Boucicaut

04-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
Not Registered

I have no experience with that particular lens and an adapter. I have used other m42 lenses (Zeiss 200 f2,8 and Telemax 200 f3.5) with the pentax AF1.7x adapter and it focused with the normal limitations. What you will loose with your sigma for sure is the autofocus capability cos you can only use the pentax 1.7x to transform a manual lens in an semi-autofocus one. In my case, the mixture worked well and IQ was only bad at wide open apertures.
04-07-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
Hello everybody!

I'm wondering if anybody has tried a combination of a modern TC (Sigma 1.4 or 2.0) and an ancient M42 extreme telephoto prime (especially the Takumar 500mm f4.5). I happen to have a Sigma 1.4 TC lying around and am considering the Takumar.

Thanks for any info,
Boucicaut
The Takumar has high enough image quality to be used with the TC, provided you get the Super-Multi-Coated or S-M-C versions. Note that you will need an excellent quality TC to use with this combination. You will probably have the dreaded chromatic aberrations as well.