Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #1

Hello! Please help me with this lens.

I want to buy a Hanimex 135 2.8 , because I heard they are very good for EOS , but I found it at a local site , unfortunately I do not know if it is a screw mount M42 mount. I will buy an M42 adapter if the lens is an M42 , I heard it is the only usable mount for EOS. Can you please help me and tell me if the lens from this link is a M42 mount or something else. On the box of the lens it says Praktica/Pentax mount , but I know that Pentax could be M42 and Bayonet. I really want this lens if it is a M42. The guy says it is not an M42 lens, but maybe he does not know. Thank you very much.

Imageshack - ei8z.jpg Imageshack - 3uiz.jpg

Last edited by Tom S.; 12-22-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: link to personal site removed.
12-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The box says Praktica/Pentax, so it is an M42 . . . at least that's the mount in my old Praktica camera. I also have an ancient Hanimex lens, and it is M42.

Tony
12-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
Are you 100% positive ? I posted 2 pictures , one with the mount , that looks like M42 , but also looks like Pentax B. I hope you are right , because I will buy the lens. Thank you very , very much.
12-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't want to lead you into buying the wrong thing, but my Praktica camera and Hanimex lens are definitely M42, and the inset photo you posted also appears to be so. Since your box does say Praktica/Pentax, I'm about 99% certain. The rest is up to you.

Tony

12-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What Tony said. Both manufacturers used the M-42 mount until Pentax introduced the K mount and Praktica came out with their elecronic mount named the "B" mount. Since the box indicated both manufacturers, it should be a post "B" mount lens.
12-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #6

Original Poster
So it is not an M42 mount ? It is Praktica B (bayonet mount) ? If it is a B , I don't need it , because I head that M42 is the best for EOS , because they don't need big adapters to modify the infinity focus. What is the truth then ? It is an M42 as Tony said or a Pentax B (bayonet). Thank you. Here it is very late , so if I don't get it , is because I am a little tired.
12-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is Praktica/Pentax/Universal Thread Mount aka M42.

12-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #8

Original Poster
Ok, I bought the item , I hope you are all right. Thank you very much for your help.
12-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi!

As I told you I bought the Hanimex and the guy sustains that is not a M42 , so I am doomed. I don't know what to do now , because I closed the deal. He has a M42 mount in his home and he says this is definitely not M42.
12-23-2013, 01:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

There is such a thing as an adapter for m42 lenses to allow them to go on Praktica B mounts. (And there are a million other adapters that convert m42 to something else.) Point being it is likely that there is just an adapter ring on the lens -- many of them are non-obvious (as being adapters) but they screw right off...
12-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #11

Original Poster
I received the lens today. It is indeed an M42 lens (thank you for your help), unfortunately it has a very big problem. Aperture is broken , because it takes from six steps , only 4 from 2.8 to 16 , and backwards it takes 5 . So I guess it is defective. Should I send it back ? Do you think this problem can be fixed ? I paid 40 dollars for this lens. The glass looks untouched , almost perfect , but the problem with aperture is very annoying. Please tell me what should do.What would you do? I really like this lens , because I saw tests on YouTube , but I did not do a test on my canon , because my adapter is in his way to me.
12-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Sticky aperture is a common problem with older lenses. They can usually be fixed with a bit of lighter fluid but it involves opening up the lens so you can get to the aperture blades. I have a Hanimex just like you have there -- also with sticky blades, although mine are really bad. (It was just a junk lens that came with a set of other stuff I bought.) If it opens and closes but is just inconsistent, that's pretty much par for the course with old unknown lenses. Honestly I wouldn't have paid $40 for that even in mint condition as I don't think there is anything special about it and old 135s in m42 are super-common (and most of them are decent if unspectacular) and you can get many of them for as little as $10. (At least in the US, possibly not so elsewhere.)

So you might send it back if they'll take it -- if you buy from ebay or similar you can expect sometimes major problems and almost always minor ones with 30+ year old lenses. Some sellers really do know lenses and check everything out and you can usually tell who those people are, but you know ads that say, "Got this from the estate sale, looks clean." -- they really have no clue. But that unknown factor also keeps the prices down because they are gambles.