Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Silver HD limiteds discontinued?

I ordered a silver HD DA 35mm limited macro from CR Kennedy late last Wednesday, and was delighted to discover it was delivered to my office on Friday morning. Only problem is it is black.

I contacted CR Kennedy and was informed the silver HD DA limiteds had been discontinued! They are still listed everywhere, so are they just spinning me a line or do others know something I have somehow missed?

12-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I ordered a silver HD DA 35mm limited macro from CR Kennedy late last Wednesday, and was delighted to discover it was delivered to my office on Friday morning. Only problem is it is black.

I contacted CR Kennedy and was informed the silver HD DA limiteds had been discontinued! They are still listed everywhere, so are they just spinning me a line or do others know something I have somehow missed?
I reckon they meant the SMC DA Limiteds, or maybe they meant that was the last of their current stock. Even native English speakers seem to have a limited vocabulary these days (no pun intended). It's hardly likely that one part of a brand new range would be discontinued after a month.
12-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Knowing you Sandy were going to see some great images no matter what, Maybe even some Black & White ones
12-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Isn't it the same scenario as with SMC versions?
At first black/silver, later on - only black.

12-23-2013, 01:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

IMO, they should discontinue the HD DA Ltds lens.. Why? Because it would just mean that there is a hidden message that there will be subsequent "limited edition" Silver K3s, which spells trouble for current adopters..

Just look at what happened when they did another run of the Silver K5.. LoL! Resale value just plummeted....
12-23-2013, 02:42 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure product resale really fits in with Ricoh's (or anyone's) business strategy.
12-23-2013, 03:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Exactly... Don't state the obvious my friend....
12-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
From an email I received from C.R. Kennedy's webstore today:

QuoteQuote:
Yes unfortunately the news is correct, I was advised by the Product Manager of the discontinuation of this lens in silver.

Interestingly, when I contacted the U.S. Pentax webstore for confirmation, they specifically contradicted this statement.

When all is said and done, I will be willing to keep the black version if necessary. It would just be nice to know the truth....

12-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that someone (or several someones) is confusing the SMC versions and the HD's. Just can't imagine them discontinuing something that just became available.
12-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that someone (or several someones) is confusing the SMC versions and the HD's. Just can't imagine them discontinuing something that just became available.
I was stating above that they should discontinue it.. I mean, 2000 pieces of Silver K3, why would they continue selling silver HD lenses? Wouldn't it mean that there would be more than 2000 pieces of K3 then??

At least i hope that's what is correct.. Then whoever has the Silver K3 would be more or less assured that it REALLY is a limited production run.. Unlike the case of the silver K5.. Yay!
12-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Yeah, but they offered silver FA Ltds for years when there were no silver bodies. They know some people just like the silvers because they're different. Much like Pentax users.
12-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that someone (or several someones) is confusing the SMC versions and the HD's.
Given that:

a) these people are the sole distributors for Pentax in Australia, so should know what they are talking about

b) I have been quite precise in my description of the lenses under discussion

c) as far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), the SMC DA limiteds have never been available in silver

They either have no clue at all, or they are telling bare-faced lies to cover someone screwing up in their dispatch department.
12-24-2013, 04:44 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well there you go.

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The smc da limiteds were offered in Silver briefly a couple of years ago.
12-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
Pentaxian

If the HD's were only going to be available in silver for a limited time, why wouldn't they have announced that, to increase the buying fervor? The days of clueless Pentax marketing are supposed to be behind us.
12-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

If the HD's were only going to be available in silver for a limited time, why wouldn't they have announced that, to increase the buying fervor? The days of clueless Pentax marketing are supposed to be behind us.
Well.. As with every new skills acquired, it would still need practice..