Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #76

My best lens is my DA 21mm Ltd and DA 40mm Ltd. I think the pair are small enough to qualify as one lens.

Between them they cover a lot of common requirements. They have a special kind of handling appeal and produce great results.

12-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
The discusion and opinions in this thread provide a good insight into the "lens buying affliction" that a percentage of us suffer from........
So, your take on a discussion about the merits and characteristics of the wide variety of lenses available is that, "a lens is a lens is a lens" and all anybody needs is one, because they're all pretty much the same? I've wondered if that is the real deal sometimes myself!

Because, like, I already have a perfectly good putter in my golf bag, right? Why would I want another one? They're all just oblong blocks on the end of a pole, right?

So let's just sit here, in this, what's-it-called, a photography forum, and talk about nothing. Let's just simply sit here, savor the ennui, and stare vacantly into space! With any luck someone will mistake us for indigents, and take us to some home where we won't have to think or discuss anything ever again, and get three hot meals daily and a cozy cot, and a nice, sunny lawn where we can sit and drool and watch the cars go by, day after day, ad infinitum.

Yeah, that's the ticket!

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-28-2013 at 06:51 PM.
12-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
So, your take on a discussion about the merits and characteristics of the wide variety of lenses available is that, "a lens is a lens is a lens" and all anybody needs is one, because they're all pretty much the same? I've wondered if that is the real deal sometimes myself! Because like, I have a perfectly good putter in my golf bag, right? Why would I want another one? They're all just oblong blocks on the end of a pole, right?

Let's just sit here, in this photography forum, and talk about nothing. Let's just simply sit here, enjoying the ennui, and stare vacantly into space!

Yeah, that's the ticket!
My best "lens" is a 900mm F 1:7.5 APO.
12-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #79
Veteran Member

My best one is the one I use the most, the Tamron 17-50. A good copy is very sharp even wide open.

12-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #80
Veteran Member

The idea of a best lens is hard to determine.
But I find myself linked more often than not with these cuties.
Some may not have the best IQ and other negatives but for what I like to take images of they work superbly.
I work exclusively in manual focus and prefer to use MF on the newer age lenses.
BTW, all these were purchased here on the PF marketplace. Thank you!

Sears 55mm f1.4 (Tomioka)
Porst Weitwinkel Auto F 28mm f2.8
Tamron 90mm f2.5 SP Adaptall-2 (52B)
Sigma 10-20mm f4/5.6
Pentax 10-17mm f3.5/4.5 FE
12-28-2013, 07:37 PM - 2 Likes   #81
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
My best "lens" is a 900mm F 1:7.5 APO.
I won one of these too on eBay! Beastly thing, isn't it?

Too bad when it came I found that the hydraulic seals were blown. It was stuck in the 90 degree apogee position. I did some calculations with a cosign and a hypotenuse, and then I ran a microwave with the door open next to it as determined for the designated time, but it was all to no avail. It just wouldn't budge! I was soooo disappointed!

Fortunately, the seller agreed to take a return and I got a full refund.

But darn it if the trailer hitch didn't go ahead and break when I was towing the thing back to the post office!

But that would be another story!

😄

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-29-2013 at 03:54 AM.
12-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #82

Very tough question!!

Best lens? Probably the FA 31.

Most used? FA 43.

Most fun? DA* 60-250, D-FA 100 WR Macro

Lens I wish I used more? K 50 f/1.2

I guess I'm either indecisive or thorough?!

12-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
and get three hot meals daily and a cozy cot, and a nice, sunny lawn where we can sit and drool and watch the cars go by, day after day, ad infinitum.
Our definition of a "Trailer Park" However you must substitute the 3 hot meals for 3 cold ones and a moon pie.
12-28-2013, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #84
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slipdm16 Quote
Most used? FA 43.
Cool, another FA 43 fan. I must admit too that my most fun to use lens is the DA*50-135. It's a manley mans lens
12-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Our definition of a "Trailer Park" However you must substitute the 3 hot meals for 3 cold ones and a moon pie.
I like the lemon ones!
12-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jools Quote
Porst Weitwinkel Auto F 28mm f2.8
Porst Weitwinkel? Really? Can you tell me more? Sounds like a rarity!

And, what subjects do you like, then, as you mentioned?

Thanks!

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-29-2013 at 03:57 AM.
12-29-2013, 04:07 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won one of these too on eBay! Beastly thing, isn't it?

Too bad when it came I found that the hydraulic seals were blown. It was stuck in the 90 degree apogee position. I did some calculations with a cosign and a hypotenuse, and then I ran a microwave with the door open next to it as determined for the designated time, but it was all to no avail. It just wouldn't budge! I was soooo disappointed!

Fortunately, the seller agreed to take a return and I got a full refund.

But darn it if the trailer hitch didn't go ahead and break when I was towing the thing back to the post office!

But that would be another story!

😄
12-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi thanks for the reply I am wondering what you wrote about "filling the frame" means.... Isn't this a matter of physically moving closer or farther from the subject to get that done with a prime, since you can't optically zoom? How is this a lens shortcoming?

Also, I've heard about the 16-45 wobble, but it seems the front end of mine is pretty firm to me - how do I tell if mine has WLS for sure? (WLS= wobbly lens syndrome) LOL

Dave
I have a problem filling the frame with one of my favorite lenses, the 77 limited, just too long for easy use at inside gatherings, restaurants, parties, that sort of thing, unless you want just head shots. For these kinds of occasions, I take the Tamron 17-50.
12-29-2013, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #89
Veteran Member

My all time favorite lens is Pentax SMCP A 50/1.2. It has the rendering that is somewhat dissimilar to modern all very contrasty, punchy uninteresting modern lenses. The lens I use the most these days is Voigtlander Nokton 40/1.4 on my Ricoh GXR M-mount module. It is small, light, fast and produced wonderful images with excellent tonal and OOF separation.
12-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Contax Zeiss 28/f2.8 Distagon - Well you can pay $1300 for it (in the ZK version), but also give up a half a stop and get an older version, swap mounts and you have yourself a older K mount prime - all manual that is stunning, all for about $400. Or, even better an old M28/2.8 for about $100. Contax Zeiss 85/f2.8 Sonnar - Same story as above.
Same for me, plus the 50/f1.4. I use them in M, Av with or without auto iso.

Contax rules, Pentax lasts = Pontax.