Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
As the original poster, I want to clarify that the question "what is your best lens" was meant to be taken at face value. What is your best lens?

In my case it is the 16-45 f/4. It's certainly not the greatest lens, it's not a limited star HD super-duper lens. But I think for the moment it is the best lens I've got.

Now, I just took delivery of a couple of M primes, plus a M42 Super Takumar 55 f/2, IIRC. I still have to learn how to use them, because I'm a newbie, as they say.

But from what you guys have told me, and from what I'm now beginning to understand, it might turn out that one of these old primes I just bought may in fact be better built and have better optics than the 16-45. One of them may in fact be my new best lens. I dunno yet! But ironically, none of them cost me more than $50! Given my budget I'm doing my best to get the best quality optics I can find within my means.

So I guess that's why I asked. I wanted to try and figure the best optics I could aim for in an overall sense. And you guys gave me plenty to think about!

So! What is your best lens?

Best built, best performer, as the case may be.

And that's it! No right or wrong answer.

Which of your lenses belongs front and center in your starting line-up, however rich or humble?

Incidentally, yesterday I received the basic DA L 55-300 I got in very slightly used condition for $125 off eBay. I took a few pictures with it. I'm happy. It doesn't have the metal mount etc but I think it'll do just fine for now! The Great Elders around here have assured me it's just as good in most respects as its big brothers.

Also, I'm bidding on Vivitar Series 1 135 f/3.5.

I got that idea from you guys.

PS the eBay lens seller I got the primes from says I can use them with my Sony NEX too, with an adapter. Anybody know what the adapter model number or whatever is, by any chance? And is it a good idea to use them with a Sony too?

😀
My best lens by that definition is Pentax DA 35 f/2.8 Ltd. But my favorite is the Pentax 15mm Ltd. DA 70 Ltd is used same amount as 35 but for different situations and is not quite as accomplished performance as the 35 Ltd.

12-30-2013, 01:09 AM   #92

Photos: Gallery
Best? Probably the CZJ Pancolar 80/1.8, Most used? DA 21 Ltd. Best feeling and most fun? CZJ Flektogon 35/2.4
12-30-2013, 06:39 AM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
As the original poster, I want to clarify that the question "what is your best lens" was meant to be taken at face value. What is your best lens?

In my case it is the 16-45 f/4. It's certainly not the greatest lens, it's not a limited star HD super-duper lens. But I think for the moment it is the best lens I've got.

Now, I just took delivery of a couple of M primes, plus a M42 Super Takumar 55 f/2, IIRC. I still have to learn how to use them, because I'm a newbie, as they say.

But from what you guys have told me, and from what I'm now beginning to understand, it might turn out that one of these old primes I just bought may in fact be better built and have better optics than the 16-45. One of them may in fact be my new best lens. I dunno yet! But ironically, none of them cost me more than $50! Given my budget I'm doing my best to get the best quality optics I can find within my means.

So I guess that's why I asked. I wanted to try and figure the best optics I could aim for in an overall sense. And you guys gave me plenty to think about!

So! What is your best lens?

Best built, best performer, as the case may be.

And that's it! No right or wrong answer.

Which of your lenses belongs front and center in your starting line-up, however rich or humble?

Incidentally, yesterday I received the basic DA L 55-300 I got in very slightly used condition for $125 off eBay. I took a few pictures with it. I'm happy. It doesn't have the metal mount etc but I think it'll do just fine for now! The Great Elders around here have assured me it's just as good in most respects as its big brothers.

Also, I'm bidding on Vivitar Series 1 135 f/3.5.

I got that idea from you guys.

PS the eBay lens seller I got the primes from says I can use them with my Sony NEX too, with an adapter. Anybody know what the adapter model number or whatever is, by any chance? And is it a good idea to use them with a Sony too?

😀

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/246467-what...#ixzz2oxsayoDT

I think this paragraph sort of gets at what has made Pentax the premier amateur/hobbyist camera brand. No other camera brand allows the degree of lens interchangeability that Pentax does. The effect is to encourage new customers who realize they can use old inexpensive optics, but the amateur base is also able to stay in touch with Pentax history (and photographic history in general) by continuing to use and assess older lenses. I must confess that I feel that some of the differences that some of us notice from lens to lens is quite subjective--especially in the area of color warmth and rendering--but that does not make the differences unimportant or irrelevant. There is something interesting even in the tactile differences in old and new lenses, their weight, and so on, even absent significant differences in optics.