Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cleaning/Servicing - Sigma 70-200 F2.8 HSM

Have a Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 HSM lens that needs to be cleaned. Would also like to have it checked out and make sure everything is to the original factory specs. Reason for cleaning is there is some kind of film/smudge on the inside of the outer glass you can see in certain light conditions. Thinking it may be the cause of softness on the right side of pictures.

My research has found Sigma Service, C.R.I.S. (Arizona), and Eric's (pentaxs.com). Any recommendations on who is the best or other service centers not mentioned?

12-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #2

Original Poster
Bump...no recommendations on what service to use? Anyone with personal experience ? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
12-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by BravoMike Quote
Bump...no recommendations on what service to use? Anyone with personal experience ? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hello BravoMike,
I had sent three lens to Eric for Cleaned and Serviced.They all came back as new. He did Not charged much for his service. It took about three weeks.
You will like his service, when you get your len back.It will be different from before the service.
steven
12-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

As I've posted in other threads, I wasn't able to convince Sigma service there was a one-side softness issue with my EX lens. I understood that from the test pictures they took and sent me, it was difficult to see the problem, but they were using 6mp (in the 10-14mp era), and their edges weren't edges - they were well in from the edge, and obviously the closer to the center you looked, the less of a problem you'd see. So I'm not saying this was malicious on their part, but I'm saying that you need to have a pretty serious problem before sending your lens to them.

12-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevewong Quote
Hello BravoMike,
I had sent three lens to Eric for Cleaned and Serviced.They all came back as new. He did Not charged much for his service. It took about three weeks.
You will like his service, when you get your len back.It will be different from before the service.
steven
Thank you for the feedback Steven!
12-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
As I've posted in other threads, I wasn't able to convince Sigma service there was a one-side softness issue with my EX lens. I understood that from the test pictures they took and sent me, it was difficult to see the problem, but they were using 6mp (in the 10-14mp era), and their edges weren't edges - they were well in from the edge, and obviously the closer to the center you looked, the less of a problem you'd see. So I'm not saying this was malicious on their part, but I'm saying that you need to have a pretty serious problem before sending your lens to them.
That is interesting. Thought this was an issue with just my lens. Did you ever send it in or get the problem resolved?
12-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BravoMike Quote
That is interesting. Thought this was an issue with just my lens. Did you ever send it in or get the problem resolved?
I sent the lens to Sigma twice, along with sample photos that showed the issue. They sent it back twice with sample photos that didn't show the issue. The differences were the resolution of the bodies used for testing, and the proximity to the edge of the frame. The problem definitely affected the practical application of the lens - it wasn't just an issue with the lens wide open photographing brick walls. From what I read on this and other forums, this is a common issue with the 10-20mm.