Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by choong_dc Quote
Whooooaaaa.... ok ok... sorry for late repy.

It was shot during late afternoon near evening... say the sun is at my front at 30 degree up from the ground.
I was asking if it was shot without the hood would have caused the CA and fringing. And if putting up a hood would actually reduced it or eliminate it.
Now I am using an APSC camera body coupled with this sweet baby [50mm f1,2]. I understand that the hood was originally for 35mm film cameras. When couples with a dslr at 1.5x magnification APSC, the hood can be extended as it utilizes the centre of the lens only [which is also the highest MTF i assume]...

Guys, help me out if application of the hood will eliminate the CA and fringing [purple]. Anyone who owns this baby please do try it out and let me know... I am like so wantthis lens badly... but if its a bad copy no point having it... [crying bucket loads]...

THanks
Can you post the image along with exif data?

12-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I don't think a hood will help with CA/fringing, but it will help with flare and contrast. On digital, a UV filter can only hurt your images because the sensor is not sensitive to UV light. If it *apparently* helps, it is probably also reducing resolution/contrast and that's why. It is a fact of life that many of the best and sharpest fast lenses will suffer PF at the widest apertures under high-contrast conditions. The technology for dealing with this in post is getting better every year, however.
12-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #18

Original Poster
Hi Matt and Blue,

I have not the data nor the images with as I teste the shots with the owners camera... yeah I know... [I suXX]...
I am trying to ask him for an upload to my email account.

Blue, you have an A50mm f1.2... you tried snapping a hood on? What is the effect like?
12-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by choong_dc Quote
Hi Matt and Blue,

I have not the data nor the images with as I teste the shots with the owners camera... yeah I know... [I suXX]...
I am trying to ask him for an upload to my email account.

Blue, you have an A50mm f1.2... you tried snapping a hood on? What is the effect like?
I use Nikon HS7 hood on it in situations where I am concerned about flare.

12-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I use Nikon HS7 hood on it
Is that good for both FF and crop? thanks.
12-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I have the A version of this lens, which I believe is optically the same as yours. It can produce massive amounts of purple fringing at f/1.2, and it's not very sharp either. That's normal, and I've never used it without a hood. Everything improves drastically at f/1.4. That's why I use it: its performance is exceptional even at f/1.4, and f/1.2 is still there if you're feeling artsy.

As others have said, a hood will improve contrast, but it won't help fringing or CA.
12-30-2013, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Is that good for both FF and crop? thanks.
I have it optimized for full frame since I shoot film still. It also works on the aps-c digital but could get away with a slightly longer hood.

12-30-2013, 11:37 PM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have it optimized for full frame
Thanks for that quick reply, I'm still using the original Pentax version for designed for the 1:1.2-1.4 50 mm & 1:1.8 55 mm with my SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.2.

It's only about 20 mm deep & 70 mm dia approx, a quick Google on the Nikon HS7 shows it's a lot deeper at 39 mm & 77 mm dia, time to order one up.
12-31-2013, 02:24 AM   #24

Original Poster
So the CA and Fringing are normal at f1.2. Can Photoshop eliminate/correct them all??? I am 70% sure going to get this lens for my birthday!!! BOOYAH!!!!!!