Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Polarizer fused with the lens, can't take it off now

Anybody ever have a polarizer stuck so tight to the front of the lens that it won't rotate or come off? I have a Tamron 17-50 with the polarizer in front. What are my options in this case?

12-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They do make filter wrenches as a last resort.
Important thing is to NOT squeeze the filter, that makes it out of round and harder to get off. Try a piece of rubber, like a jar opener flat on the front and rotate without squeezing the filter sides. Another trick is to try a large rubber band and gently try to turn. I have been successful by just using the palm of my hand placed flat on the front and rotating. Some report putting the lens in the freezer for a while helps because of the temperature change, but I would use that as a last resort.

If all else fails buy a filter wrench.
12-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately I had the same problem with a CPL that was too tightly screwed into my FA 50 and the edge of the filter was too small to get a good enough grip to safely apply any more force to remove it from the plastic lens, so I had to destroy the filter by cutting through the filter housing with a small hacksaw.
12-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

From a purely physical standpoint, warming the entire assembly will increase the gap between the lens and the filter, but that method has obvious pitfalls.

12-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

reproduce the conditions you put it on it (such as putting both in freezer, or warming just the filter)

those rubber grippers do wonders when you can lay them down and put even pressure on them

try yelling
12-27-2013, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Google search of related PentaxForums threads

12-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I've tried the "wrench" on a once-stuck filter on my DA*16-50 .... didn't work.
Tried the elastic band .... didn't work.

What worked is this (for me anyway):

Took a small "pie" tin and laid some ice on it.
Put a small cloth on top of the ice.
Put the camera upside-down (lens facing down onto the cloth)
Let it "cool down" for about 5 minutes and, to my surprise, the filter magically came off with no effort whatsoever.

It might work for you or nor ... just try it.

JP
12-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Try this. Turn the lens upside down (front element facing down). Get some ice cubes. What you want to do is to set the filter's frame on the ice cubes (but not on the lens or the lens's body), and thus transfer the cold to the filter's frame, so that it will slightly shrink. You want the lens' body to continue to remain at room temperature. That may be just enough to be able to twist/turn it off normally.

Woops - I see that jpzk had the idea before I saw his post.....

12-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

How is shrinking the filter relative to the lens going to help remove it? Shrinking = tightening the fit.
12-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
How is shrinking the filter relative to the lens going to help remove it? Shrinking = tightening the fit.
No, the filter is 49mm male, the camera is female. A shrunk 49mm male would make it a 48.something male, but the female stays the same size, so it's looser. All very erm sexual.
12-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
No, the filter is 49mm male, the camera is female. A shrunk 49mm male would make it a 48.something male, but the female stays the same size, so it's looser. All very erm sexual.
Ah, of course! A shrunken male as a good thing is somewhat counterintuitive. I wasn't thinking about thread types. Carry on.
12-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
These work quite well.
All of the other methods mentioned can work, although they sometimes require a precise alignment of the moon and stars, and of course holding your tongue just right.
12-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Try this. Turn the lens upside down (front element facing down). Get some ice cubes. What you want to do is to set the filter's frame on the ice cubes (but not on the lens or the lens's body), and thus transfer the cold to the filter's frame, so that it will slightly shrink. You want the lens' body to continue to remain at room temperature. That may be just enough to be able to twist/turn it off normally.

Woops - I see that jpzk had the idea before I saw his post.....

This is gonna sound pedantic: You don't "transfer cold" you transfer heat and hence the ice is sucking the heat out of the filter.
12-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
Ah, of course! A shrunken male as a good thing is somewhat counterintuitive. I wasn't thinking about thread types. Carry on.
12-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
This is gonna sound pedantic: You don't "transfer cold" you transfer heat and hence the ice is sucking the heat out of the filter.
Thanks! I was typing fast, yes drawing away the heat. Calming down the excited molecules.