Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2013, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian
hcc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,538
Primes in Paris

I recently visited Paris (rapidly unfortunately) with my wife. We did the Eiffel Tower, Le Louvre plus some sightseeing in the streets. We had a K-7 and K-01. My wife used the K-01 with the DA18-135mm. She was very happy and did not change lenses. I used the K-7 with the DA15mm Ltd and Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4. Let me share my limited experience.

The surprise was the DA15mm in my opinion.

The wide angle with little distortion was perfect for street photography but also for shots from the Eiffel tower summit (see below). The DA15mm Ltd was superb outdoor both in sunny and grey (incl. rainy) weather conditions. It works well in the museum although I had to push up the ISO (not the best idea on a K-7).

The VL58mm f1.4 works well as usual and gave great shots. But the focal length was too long IMO. I should have taken my FA31mm Ltd in retrospect.

Beyond the places that we visited, and based on my previous visits at other locations in the City des Lumieres, I believe that the DA15mm Ltd completmented by the FA31mm would be a nice set of primes.

Would I use a zoom lens? I selected the primes because they are small, light and non-obstructive. I value highly the compactness of my primes as well as their outstanding IQ. No I would not use a zoom lens, .... but my wife had the zoom lens.

Hope that the experience my interest some....

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
12-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 800
Fantastic shots. Interesting to read about the eternal prime versus zoom debate. I think the 15,31,77 would be all one needs... Or the 18-135. Or the 12-24. Or the 16-50. Or the 21,43,100. Etc...
12-28-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Taiwan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,075
My standard kit is the 15/40/DFA100WR and it can do just about everything. I do miss the 28mm focal length like you mention with wanting your FA31. And there isn't a true portrait lens although the DA40 does pretty well and I could always swap in a fast fifty. But the DA15 is almost essential for a prime lover.
12-28-2013, 03:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
Very nice photos. I especially like that you by the 15mm bring context to your top-of-the-tower shots. Nicely done.

I agree with the 31+15mm partnership being good for cities and such, but also always advise (if there's room in the bag) to keep one longer lens at hand, mostly for a detail of a building, or such. I have lately leaned to schlepping along the 100/2.8, for it's macro capabilities, but the 70mm Ltd is hard to beat for compactness in this game.

12-28-2013, 05:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near Vienna, Austria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 772
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Very nice photos. I especially like that you by the 15mm bring context to your top-of-the-tower shots. Nicely done.

I agree with the 31+15mm partnership being good for cities and such, but also always advise (if there's room in the bag) to keep one longer lens at hand, mostly for a detail of a building, or such. I have lately leaned to schlepping along the 100/2.8, for it's macro capabilities, but the 70mm Ltd is hard to beat for compactness in this game.
Great pics! I love the second one, wonderful light.

I always have the 21mm and 70mm Limiteds in my bag. They usually sit on top of each other, with a foam pad in between, inside a Sigg nylon isolation pouch (made for water bottles). This way they take no more space than a standard zoom lens. The rest of the kit varies. I grew up on prime lenses to go with my film SLRs. For many years my standard film combo was 28mm, 50mm, 100mm and 200mm. To replicate this in APS-C digital in a portable manner, I miss a compact 135mm lens with a Limited IQ level (the FA 135mm f/2.8 would probably qualify, but I don't have one). I usually take the Voigtlander Macro 125mm f/2.5, which is fantastic, but very heavy.
12-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 508
Great shots. I think I'd begin to feel claustrophobic living there... looks like +5 story buildings go on forever.
12-28-2013, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Great pics! I love the second one, wonderful light.

I always have the 21mm and 70mm Limiteds in my bag. They usually sit on top of each other, with a foam pad in between, inside a Sigg nylon isolation pouch (made for water bottles). This way they take no more space than a standard zoom lens. The rest of the kit varies. I grew up on prime lenses to go with my film SLRs. For many years my standard film combo was 28mm, 50mm, 100mm and 200mm. To replicate this in APS-C digital in a portable manner, I miss a compact 135mm lens with a Limited IQ level (the FA 135mm f/2.8 would probably qualify, but I don't have one). I usually take the Voigtlander Macro 125mm f/2.5, which is fantastic, but very heavy.

Ahh, spiritual brothers...I've lamented the lack of a Pentax 135/2 Limited for a long time. Before the usual suspects jump in with "but Pentax made a wonderful M-something 135mm lens in the last millennia" (!), I mean a current, AF, Ltd, SMC or HD, new, wonderful 135mm, not some museum piece

(There, did I manage to get on the ignore-list of half of PF yet?)
12-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member
EarlVonTapia's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,165
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I recently visited Paris (rapidly unfortunately) with my wife. We did the Eiffel Tower, Le Louvre plus some sightseeing in the streets. We had a K-7 and K-01. My wife used the K-01 with the DA18-135mm. She was very happy and did not change lenses. I used the K-7 with the DA15mm Ltd and Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4. Let me share my limited experience.

The surprise was the DA15mm in my opinion.

The wide angle with little distortion was perfect for street photography but also for shots from the Eiffel tower summit (see below). The DA15mm Ltd was superb outdoor both in sunny and grey (incl. rainy) weather conditions. It works well in the museum although I had to push up the ISO (not the best idea on a K-7).


Great shot! Love the DA 15.

12-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian
hcc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,538
Original Poster
I may add that I would have liked to have 2 bodies because changing/swapping lenses is a nightmare in a crowdy/dusty environment. Nonetheless I value primes and I believe in primes over zoom for most shots that I took.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
12-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member
NickLarsson's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,390
That 2nd shot is stunning indeed, congrats

My favorite lens in Paris is the DA21, especially for street photography, but the DA15 is close (and the FA43 for low-light shots).

I hope you enjoyed your short stay here
12-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,931
You posted some great photos there. I really like the light quality and how it casts the shadows.
12-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #12
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 33,139
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
wonderful 135mm, not some museum piece
I still use mine daily, but I am the museum piece and my lens is fairly old too.
12-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I still use mine daily, but I am the museum piece and my lens is fairly old too.

"no comments", the Kerrowdown...no comments...
12-30-2013, 01:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near Vienna, Austria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 772
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I still use mine daily, but I am the museum piece and my lens is fairly old too.
If you are talking about the Pentax-A* 135mm f/1.8, I'd take it any day (provided I can afford it). Otherwise, the compact DA 135mm f/2.4 with Apo correction would be really nice too.
12-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 33,139
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
If you are talking about the Pentax-A* 135mm f/1.8
Yes I was, this lens has a name like many of mine do and hers is "Lady Luck" but this is not modern enough for Mr tclausen.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da15mm, experience, fa31mm, k-01, k-7, k-mount, lens, ltd, paris, pentax lens, prime lenses, primes, shots, slr lens, wife
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Place to purchase inexpensive tripod in Paris Squirrel Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 28 04-12-2013 08:43 PM
People Ganesh Chaturthi in Paris NickLarsson Post Your Photos! 4 09-05-2012 11:52 PM
Cityscape Paris in Springtime Schraubstock Post Your Photos! 3 08-12-2012 10:36 PM
Night Midnight In Paris NickLarsson Post Your Photos! 5 06-27-2012 08:30 AM
Under the skirts of Paris - Sous les jupes de Paris... KalOO Post Your Photos! 5 05-25-2008 02:25 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:51 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top