Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I just registered the warranty for the lens and have 3 years, 11 months, and 16 days left on the warranty. Hopefully I won't be needing it, especially due to an 'extreme temperature' incident.

12-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If anyone wants an old clunker that works in any weather, I own an SF-1 with the cold weather battery pack -- a 4 AA holder, 1 m cord and battery door replacement. The cord is long enough to put the batteries in a shirt pocket inside parka, sweater, etc and still reach the camera. I no longer use it.
12-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've used my K30 in -25 C with no major issues (it was a bit sluggish, but it made it).

If you have to use your gear in cold weather but are concerned with keeping it cold for too long, perhaps try a couple of those disposable hand warmers tossed into your camera bag to help keep them warm.
12-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When we are talking about temperatures we have two temperature ranges to consider:
1. The storage temperature range - the range of temperatures over which the thing can be stored without damage, such as in an un-airconditioned place or a bag when in transit, or a hot car in the sun on a day when the official temperature is 46C.
2. The temperature range over which it will work properly. e.g. expansion/contraction of metals etc could cause dimension changes in a lens that result in it not operating within spec, but on return to inside the envelope temperatures it will return to normal operation.

The temperatures in 1 are likely to be quite absolute with damage resulting if it goes outside the range.
The temperatures in 2 are likely to be the limit of guaranteed proper operation, and some kind of degraded operation is likely outside the range.

Batteries are the most likely problem for cameras in low temperatures - i.e. they cease to perform at the highest temperature of the limits of any other part of the camera.