Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Filters -- any of these worth a bean?

I have a bunch of filters from camera purchases in the past, and I'm curious if any of these are worth keeping and using. Here's the list:

49mm:
Hoya UV(0)
Osawa 82A
Kenko CPL
Crystal Optics Redhancer

52mm:
Marumi UV Haze
Hoya +1
Hoya +2
Hoya +4
Toyo Optics UV
Hoya CS
Crystal Optics Redhancer
Tiffen Diffusion #1
Sunpak CPL
Tiffen 80A

55mm
Fotodiox CPL

58mm:
Merkury Optics UV
Merkury Optics FD
Merkury Optics CPL
Sunpak Redhancer

67mm
Bower CPL

72mm
Bower CPL

Thanks!

Charles.

12-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Filtering Process?

Hi Charles,
Honestly, not much there I'd keep. Normally, the only filters used for DSLR photography are CPL's and ND's (neutral density), but the CPL's you've listed aren't in the top 2 or 3 brands I've used and/heard of, namely B + W and Marumi. You might hang onto the CPL's you have (that fit your lenses) until you find an upgrade. I have used UV/Skylight filters for really bad weather, water, sand or dusty conditions. It seems better to suffer a bit of contrast loss, then be wiping the front element of my lens when it's constantly getting exposed to the elements. I've saved good quality 49m and 52mm UV's for just this purpose, but hardly ever use them. A lens hood does the job much better.
Everything the other filters offer can be done as well with in-camera processing or post processing. The diffusion can (in addition to softening the overall image) add a slightly better 'starburst' effect to light sources, if you like that look. The rest? Toss' em.
JMO,
Ron
12-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The UV filters are useful only to those who still believe in "protecting" their lens' front elements while adding possibilities for flare. The CPLs might be useful, depending on their quality. Film users might find a use for the 82A and FD. I have never heard of "redhancer" filters. Any idea what effect they might have on things?
12-31-2013, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Honestly, not much there I'd keep. Normally, the only filters used for DSLR photography are CPL's and ND's (neutral density), but the CPL's you've listed aren't in the top 2 or 3 brands I've used and/heard of, namely B + W and Marumi. You might hang onto the CPL's you have (that fit your lenses) until you find an upgrade.
What Ron said.

12-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The + diopter filters are a very cheap way to carry a once a year close-up capability in lieu of an expensive macro lens you may not use enough to justify the cost or space.

You can easily remove the glass from many filters keeping only the empty rings which may be stacked to make custom hoods or, with the help of a little epoxy, combined in many combinations to build step adapters. Glued back-to-back they become a DIY stacked lens adapter for a 'real' macro capability using two mid-range primes.

With a little ingenuity, there's endless uses for de-glassed filter rings.
12-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have the Promaster equivalent of the FA 100mm f3.5 Macro, with the matched macro adapter (which is much higher quality, thicker glass, and precision-made) than the little diopters in this lot.

I like the look the redhancers give, and I suppose I could do much of that in post, but maybe post skills are lacking, because the filter seems to give a much more natural look than anything I've tried by adjusting the red channel saturation.

Polarizers will remain to be seen. I've had trouble with cheap polarizers on on my 55-300 -- not sure if AF wasn't locking properly or what, but everything came out just a little blurred and ugly. That being said, I haven't been able to see any degredation from the 67mm bower filter -- but granted, I was using a 28-200 that's not the highest quality lens. I will have to wait for my Tamron 28-75 to get back from servicing before I can test it more thoroughly. The 72 I will try on my Bower 85mm (it came with it, package deal). hopefully it's not too bad.

Charles.
12-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I like the look the redhancers give, and I suppose I could do much of that in post, but maybe post skills are lacking, because the filter seems to give a much more natural look than anything I've tried by adjusting the red channel saturation.
The "redhancers" sound like the old "enhancing" filters of the film era. They use rare earth elements, such as neodymium, to selectively block/reduce certain wavelengths of light, in this case the red/orange range. This results in rendering the selected range in deeper, richer levels. These filters are terrific for autumn colors. Vat-dyed glass filters, as used for B&W film, which each affect a much broader range of colors, cannot match this result. Nor can hacking the red channel, which is applying a sledgehammer by comparison. For me, other PP doesn't really give the more natural quality that the enhancing filter gives.

Other than a polarizer and neutral density (graduated and uniform) filters, enhancing filters are the only useful image-modifying filters of the film era that I still use.

I'd keep them.
12-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
The "redhancers" sound like the old "enhancing" filters of the film era. They use rare earth elements, such as neodymium, to selectively block/reduce certain wavelengths of light, in this case the red/orange range. This results in rendering the selected range in deeper, richer levels. These filters are terrific for autumn colors. Vat-dyed glass filters, as used for B&W film, which each affect a much broader range of colors, cannot match this result. Nor can hacking the red channel, which is applying a sledgehammer by comparison. For me, other PP doesn't really give the more natural quality that the enhancing filter gives.

Other than a polarizer and neutral density (graduated and uniform) filters, enhancing filters are the only useful image-modifying filters of the film era that I still use.

I'd keep them.
Cool. I need to experiment more with the redhancers.

Charles.

12-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I knock the glass out of old filters and install the ring in between the lens and the hood. It's a way to push the hood out further to make it deeper. Our APS sized sensors crop out the vignetting that a FF sensor would otherwise see from a hood that is apparently too deep. A deeper hood could help improve contrast and IQ.