Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #16
JMS

THANK YOU for the link! I will definitely have to check this out!

04-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

"....Shipping prices range from $21.99-$31.99..." ?
04-08-2008, 03:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canadians Lease here

Here is a place you lease lens for Pentax (unforutnaley based on 36 month lease but you may be able to work out a shorter term who knows ?) , but if you want to give it a go. Camera Canada - Canada's dot.com for Cameras
04-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
"....Shipping prices range from $21.99-$31.99..." ?
I was looking at the lenses thinking "only that much for 1 week...nice..." until I saw the shipping price. As the shipping is independent of the rental period, it pays to rent for longer, or you can end up paying more for the shipping than the renting if you're renting for 1 week.

But still, if you have an occasional wedding and need a particular lens, this service can come in very handy.

Also, once you've rented 3 lenses, you get 1 week free rental on any lens.

04-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

also i see that they have a K20D for rent for thows on the fince about buying it can see if it fits there needs that is cool.
04-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Have you guys read the reviews at resellerratings.com? This guy is too nice to be real!

Camera Lens Rentals Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings
04-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Boy that's sure to be a dangerous site for my wallet.

Great to see that somebody is finally renting Pentax gear. I can see using this on vacation. Or to verify that a lens will do what you need it to do before you buy one.

04-08-2008, 04:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I emailed them suggesting to add some of the fast, long telephoto such as the FA* 300/2.8, FA* 80-200mm, and so on this morning. Barry Jackson got back to me a few hours later letting me know that they will definitely look into getting these lenses.

I think we should make a poll, or write down a wish list, so that certain lenses would get higher priority, and thus higher chance to be stocked. I also invite Barry to join our community, so hopefully questions/answers can be dealt here as well.

At the moment, I'm interested to try out:

FA* 300/2.8
DA* 200/2.8
FA* 80-200/2.8
DA* 300/4
04-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

With the shipping, one thing you need to remember is that the cost is for shipping both ways, so if you divide it into 2, then it's not so bad.

I do agree that it's a great way to try out lenses before you commit to buying them. What's neat about this site is that if you rent a lens and decide that you like it well enough to buy it, then you can arrange to buy it off of them, so assuming that the price they give you is fair, then that means you don't need to worry about returning the lens and going and ordering another one from somewhere else.

As for lens suggestions, I noticed that they didn't have any 3rd party brands available. I'd like to see one of the 70-200/2.8s or a Bigma available. While I don't think I would ever use a Bigma enough to justify buying one, I wouldn't mind renting one on the rare ocassion that I might want one.

As for whether or not the customer service is as great as the reseller ratings say it is, why doesn't someone give it a try and report back to the rest of us on their experience? If you use a credit card (as opposed to a MC/V debit card), then you should be pretty safe money-wise.

Heather
04-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The shipping charges are totally reasonable and the whole enterprise looks terribly cool. I would certainly use it if I was stuck in the States with no camera. Someone wanna set up a business like this here in the EU?
04-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
As for lens suggestions, I noticed that they didn't have any 3rd party brands available. I'd like to see one of the 70-200/2.8s or a Bigma available. While I don't think I would ever use a Bigma enough to justify buying one, I wouldn't mind renting one on the rare ocassion that I might want one.
That's true, I'd rather rent a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM that the Pentax FA*.

QuoteQuote:
As for whether or not the customer service is as great as the reseller ratings say it is, why doesn't someone give it a try and report back to the rest of us on their experience? If you use a credit card (as opposed to a MC/V debit card), then you should be pretty safe money-wise.

Heather
I actually read all 25 glowing reviews. Bearing in mind that it's generally the people with bad experiences that write them down, I believe Barry really is a great salesman who realises that by losing a dollar in helping out a customer he will earn it back tenfold when the customer spreads the word.

I will certainly consider his services if I go on holiday and think I might need a special lens.
04-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Hello all,
I wanted to stop by an introduce myself. My name is Barry Jackson and I am the owner of Camera Lens Rentals. We are proud to be the first online rental store to offer Pentax.

I am glad that there is a thread like this going! I have recieved several emails about suggestions and also where we might be able to purchase some of the harder to find lenses. We are carefully going through all of them. We are going to be offering more Pentax based on some suggestions we have had.

Just to let you know that we do sell all of our lenses. We get them at the same price you the customer gets them. We do offer a rental credit also. So if you rent a lens and two weeks later you decide you want to buy it, we will apply a portion or all of the rental towards the purchase.

Obviously since we just started with Pentax...all lenses will be brand new.

We are sad that we cannot offer to Canadian customers. Customs and such is a pain. Its not worth the hassle or the expense to ship it up there. For us or you the customer.

One thing that stood out in this thread was that someone was talking about shipping prices. The shipping prices given are round trip and with insurance. This protects both of us All lenses are shipped within a Pelican case, within a box. Each Pelican case is customized for that lens. We have found that our customers love this. Not only for the shipping protection, but they use it to carry the lens around with them. You will find our prices are some of the best around when it comes to shipping. We offer Fedex and USPS.

Please offer any suggestions you might have with the site, lenses, golf swing tips anything. I am now registered with these boards and will frequent them often.

If you have any questions about our service and business you can visit resellerratings and check out the testimonials. We are here for you the customer and look forward to earning your business and adding you to the family

Also about reseller ratings. We have had maybe..maybe half the people leave feedback. I can assure you..even the others would have left positive. Sometimes customers do not want to hassle with giving out their emails, and even then, some forget to click the confirmation link afterwords. I have a thing that if you leave a feedback, good or bad and it shows up there..you are automatically entered into a drawing for a free 3day rental on me. That includes shipping. You are entered every month even if you just rented one time.

So in a nutshell..take the positive feedback X2.

Thanks so much to everyone here. We are working as we speak on getting new options for some new Pentax lenses.

Last edited by cameralensrentals; 04-08-2008 at 06:27 PM.
04-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cameralensrentals Quote
Hello all,
I wanted to stop by an introduce myself. My name is Barry Jackson and I am the owner of Camera Lens Rentals. We are proud to be the first online rental store to offer Pentax.

I am glad that there is a thread like this going! I have recieved several emails about suggestions and also where we might be able to purchase some of the harder to find lenses. We are carefully going through all of them. We are going to be offering more Pentax based on some suggestions we have had.

Just to let you know that we do sell all of our lenses. We get them at the same price you the customer gets them. We do offer a rental credit also. So if you rent a lens and two weeks later you decide you want to buy it, we will apply a portion or all of the rental towards the purchase.

Obviously since we just started with Pentax...all lenses will be brand new.

We are sad that we cannot offer to Canadian customers. Customs and such is a pain. Its not worth the hassle or the expense to ship it up there. For us or you the customer.

One thing that stood out in this thread was that someone was talking about shipping prices. The shipping prices given are round trip and with insurance. This protects both of us You will find our prices are some of the best around when it comes to shipping. We offer Fedex and USPS.

Please offer any suggestions you might have with the site, lenses, golf swing tips anything. I am now registered with these boards and will frequent them often.

If you have any questions about our service and business you can visit resellerratings and check out the testimonials. We are here for you the customer and look forward to earning your business and adding you to the family

thanks Barry!
04-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Cool. I am looking into renting a few I think I have to have . This will give me time to decide... really .... if I have to have them .
04-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #30
Veteran Member

It's great that you joined our little Pentax nest, Barry

I was the one that mentioned the shipping charges. I hope no one thought I was accusing Barry of overcharging on shipping. If I rent a lens, I want it to be well packaged during transport, and if it does get damaged, I'd rather not be held liable, so the shipping charges are justified and the extra protection appreciated. I pointed these charges out as a PSA.

Barry, what I would like to know is if it would be possible to get together with a few friends to rent 3-4 lenses (all in one person's name) to save on shipping costs, instead of each person renting one lens individually. Camera Lens Rentals would not lose any money but by sharing shipping costs the customers would save a few dollars. How does this affect the insurance policy?

I look forward to seeing your business expand. From those testimonials I read (like I mentioned in a post above) you seem to know how to do business the right way. There aren't that many people around who know how to.

On the flip side, you're going to ruin many households by fuelling people's already dangerous LBA

PS: I request a round of applause for this man, the FIRST to rent out Pentax equipment! [clap clap clap clap]