Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2008, 06:37 AM   #61
Inactive Account

Is there a way to create a poll on these boards? We have had several requests for different lenses and are going to be adding some of the suggestions. If there is a way that we can do this here that would be great. We have taken into consideration lots of suggestions from the folks here. Thank you so much to those of you who have helped me out with finding some suppliers of the harder to get lenses.

Just to let you know we have shipped 5 lenses to 4 different Pentax NUTS so far! I am sure you will be hearing about their experience soon!

04-11-2008, 06:45 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Barry, to create a poll, first create a new post, then scroll down and you should see a create poll button
04-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
How would Barry determine which mount gets the third party lenses and which ones don't...or would he end up buying 4 versions of each lens?
Like I said, if there is a hole in a line up that is plugged up by a 3rd party, then that brand would get a 3rd party lens. For example, both Canon and Nikon have 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses, so they have no need for a Sigma/Tamron version; Pentax doesn't have one, so stocking one from a 3rd party makes sense.
04-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #64
Veteran Member

@vievetrick & Barry (rental)

Thanks for the info -- I simply missed it on the site. I was interested because in July, I am going to WA to see my grandson, and I am seriously considering the 50-135. I have convinced myself that I "need" it , and this would give me a good way to find out.

Vievetrick: Your Red Sox and my Yankees tonight!!!

04-12-2008, 06:48 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Tom your Yankees won last night, I wAs there. let's hope the rest of the weekend goes my way
04-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is so COOL!!
You will be hearing from me Barry:-).
Finally an affordable way to try out some great Pentax glass.
Thanks Barry, I need a new addiction, lol.
04-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #67
Veteran Member

I'd like to see the new DA35 macro lens added to the lineup since a lot of people seem to be going ga-ga over it right now (for good reason). I wouldn't mind renting it to compare it's IQ with my 43.

Heather

04-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by cameralensrentals Quote
My name is Barry Jackson and I am the owner of Camera Lens Rentals. We are proud to be the first online rental store to offer Pentax.

I am glad that there is a thread like this going! I have received several emails about suggestions and also where we might be able to purchase some of the harder to find lenses.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Even though you've reduced my wife to tears, I'm thrilled about your Pentax rental service.

I can see renting a lens for specific job. But having previously mis-allocated my (meager) funds towards the "wrong" lenses (and ranges!), I'm excited about the prospect of renting a lens to evaluate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
With the shipping, one thing you need to remember is that the cost is for shipping both ways, so if you divide it into 2, then it's not so bad.
I totally agree. And shipping in customized pelican cases is great.

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
As for lens suggestions, I noticed that they didn't have any 3rd party brands available. I'd like to see one of the 70-200/2.8s or a Bigma available.
These are exactly the same three lenses I'm most interested in renting.

Barry, I notice that you don't seem to carry "3rd party" lenses in your Nikon or Canon lineups either.

I'll ask you to consider the Sigma and Tamron 70-200/2.8s ("fast") and the Sigma 50-500mm/Bimga (long) (widely available for rent on Canon and Nikon mounts. Grr.!) anyway, as Pentax just doesn't have anything currently comparable available. Wish that it wasn't so.

And if you decide to rent all three lenses, I'll work on my two local friends who also shoot Pentax. It would be great rent all three for a Pentax mount "long-lens" shootout weekend.

Thanks.

Last edited by Cedar; 04-16-2008 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Type-A. I donder if we could get a sponsor for the long-lens shootout. Hmm.
04-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #69
Inactive Account

We are workign on some new lenses. I am going to be doing a poll here today to see what you guys want!
04-17-2008, 08:14 AM   #70
Inactive Account

Barry, I just realized that I live about 4 miles from you. Is it possible to pick up instead of pay for shipping across town?
04-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #71
Inactive Account

Craig,
I could for sure meet you somewhere. I have a real job during the day and all the lenses are at my office warehouse , so in the morning or evenings would be fine. Not a problem.
Barry

Last edited by cameralensrentals; 04-17-2008 at 12:09 PM.
04-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by craig1024 Quote
Barry, I just realized that I live about 4 miles from you.
QuoteOriginally posted by cameralensrentals Quote
Craig,
I could for sure meet you somewhere.
Barry,

Ever considered relocating to Austin?

It's all very nice when the buildings aren't melting, the streets boiling, and the trees spontaneously combusting. Really!

It even (somehow) ranked 5th in Travel & Leisure Magazine's "Nicest US Cities" list.

And while I know you 'also' carry the 'other' mounts, Austin has *lots* of Pentax users to rent from you!

Including myself I know of 4... with an additional convert probable shortly.

And I have plenty of room at my house to store all your Pentax lenses! :ugh:

Last edited by Cedar; 04-17-2008 at 01:30 PM. Reason: slow day
04-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #73

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Berry,

You are a beautiful human being. Your timing couldn't be better. As most here know it is often times difficult to try out a Pentax lens before actually buying it. I've been to several camera stores in the Houston area just wanting to mount a FA 100mm macro or a DA 70mm on my K10D and give them a try. But it is always the same: not in stock. When I found out about this service my eyes lit up like a child on Christmas morning!

I will be giving your service a spin in the near future as I feel it will serve my needs quite well.

Thanks again and I hope you success in this business venture.

Doug
04-17-2008, 10:09 PM   #74
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Cedar Quote
Barry,

Ever considered relocating to Austin?
Actually have spent many days and nights there and loved every minute of it. Went to college in Houston and roomate was from Austin. Of course I never spent any time on 6th street *cough cough*
04-17-2008, 10:12 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Seems expensive to me, unless you are allowed to apply rental money towards a new lens..Other wise it is a teaser..