Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also think we have to accept that Pentax is a small camera company. Canon can afford to break even or lose money on the Sports/Action segment in any given year and accepts that for the halo effect. Pentax really (right now) can't afford to lose money on anything.

They're investing where they have some market presence and logical strengths in order to build cash flow. They choose (perhaps are forced) to be an alternative maker rather than a competitive maker. That might mean at this time they cede certain market segments to Canon and Nikon altogether. If that is the case for any user, there is nothing wrong with buying the brands that meet your needs.

Product decisions are marginal. I would have to imagine when the TC is a better product decision than the next one behind it, and it is also a profitable product decision, then Pentax will release the 1.4x DA TC.

01-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJay Quote
"I want to do bird photography and I want to do this with the Pentax Kll and the Sigma 2.8 300mm lens and it will be necessary to have the Sigma 1.4 Teleconvertor to get the necessary reach while still having a lens that can be used without a tripod. Has the 1.4 teleconvertor been discontinued?? If so there is no other quality fast telephoto option for the Pentax in 300mm. Are Pentax owners being closed out of fast telephoto photography? Can I find the 1.4 somewhere? Is Sigma dumoing Pentax??

Thanks, Bob "

Hey Woody...how can you justify replying to my post in the way that you did...when the above quote is one of YOUR posts?

YOU are quite happy to CRAP ON SIGMA DUE TO A SHORTFALL WITH PENTAX...and then have the nerve to challenge my post requesting from Pentax exactly what you requested from Sigma!!!

Maybe you'd like to explain yourself..or maybe..just maybe - YOU are the CANIKON GUY?

If you were SMARTER than me (especially being a senior member) YOU TOO, should've realised that what YOU WANT IS NOT BEING CATERED FOR!!!!
Woody, if you'd like to see more of my "Pentax" snaps, I'll forward them to you. I'll stop here and AWAIT YOUR APOLOGY FOR SAYING THAT I AM A CANIKON
USER...Somehow, I don't think that will happen.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/246903-pent...#ixzz2qCwjfSz8

Oh no.. I do apologize... even though I don't view being a CANIKON anything less than being a Pentax user. If I had switched to Nikon or Canon I'd have a much easier time of finding lenses. No, my error was replying to your post too early in the day. In my old age I've become much less patient and especially in the morning when I first get up. My failing completely... After being around this forum for only a year I have noticed that there is a lot of frustration in some users over Ricoh not pumping out enough new equipment fast enough (and I am guilty of that with regards to lenses) and there is also a group who take the position that Pentax is doomed which is a position I don't share and then there is a tiny number of posts which seem to me to be outsiders who drop in only to take shots at Pentax. I mistakenly assumed that your post was one of them and I was wrong. Lately I have pulled away from the new hardware and company/business oriented threads and have discovered the huge part of the Forum dedicated to taking pictures. I have found so many excellent photographers and photographs that equipment concerns are beginning to feel less important. So I wish you many years using your Pentax and maybe you could post pictures of that waterproof device you made for holding your camera....

Bob
01-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #18

Original Poster
Bob,

Here's the waterproof device that I use. This is 2k worth of housing that is custom made for my Pentax. Do you know how hard it is to come by this sort of stuff? Do you have any idea how hard it is to get that one shot using this bulky, heavy equipment and how hard it is to continue monitoring exposure levels? I only say this because nobody should ever question my commitment to Pentax or my over-all love for photography. I'm just like others on this forum (we all love photography) but hypocrisy seems to rein supreme and with the small minded attitudes that I have come across makes me want to puke.

The snaps of the housing I've posted were shot with the Pentax WG-II water proof camera...All the others were shot using the K5-ii with either the 10-17mm or 18-135mm (Lighthouse...45 second exposure, exactly 8 x revolutions of the lighthouse lamp).

Open your mind...

I'll no longer post on this forum. What's the point if when you ask a question, you receive a defensive response from Pentaxians who can't see past their nose. AND THIS ISN'T EVEN A FULL FRAME THREAD!!!!

Goodbye and best regards.

Peter.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio WG-2 GPS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio WG-2 GPS  Photo     
View Picture EXIF
 Photo   
01-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJay Quote
Point and shoot - that's where the future lies for Pentax. I'm getting out now before I invest anymore in the Pentax system that seems to have a multitude of holes in the system and doe not cater for people like myself.
Peter, sorry to see you go but honestly what do you expect when you post things like the above? This is the friendliest most open online community I've ever belonged to. We certainly argue a lot but everyone respects the others opinion even if they don't agree with it. And most of us are big enough to apologize when we step wrong. Bob wrote you a very nice and complete apology, did you even read it?

If you ask questions in a noninflammatory manner you will get polite answers that are peoples' opinions. Since no one here has any inside scoop on what Ricoh is doing all you get are opinions. If you don't agree that is fine, just say so. But if you start a fire and then keep throwing petrol on it you should expect some push back.

I hope you will reconsider and hang around, you have an interesting specialty and I'd like to learn more about it. But if you are going to get insulted whenever someone does not agree with you then maybe it is for the best. There is no point hanging out in a place that just makes you mad and gets your blood pressure up.

Anyway, all the best.
John

01-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In November last year I emailed the South African Pentax importer to ask on the release date for the 100-400 shown on the road map.
The general manager for sales and marketing got back to me saying that according to his information it is actually a 150-450mm and should be out in 2014...
Presumably someone in his position is not going to make up stories and I would also assume his information is correct?
01-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
actually a 150-450mm and should be out in 2014...
That is very good news, lets hope it is true. Unless they totally mess up and the IQ is like using a coke bottle I'm in. And the money is sitting in the account, so come on Ricoh, make it happen....

Of course 150-450 is so un-Pentaxian...... Maybe we can have 167-448
01-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I am certainly signed up regardless if it turns out to be 100-400 or 150-450mm

01-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't suppose they mentioned the aperture? 150-450 f/4 would be really awesome, but likely too heavy and too expensive.
01-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #24
Veteran Member

No mention of aperture unfortunately...