Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2013, 02:13 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lens buying advice thread here....

Hi all. I have been dog sitting for almost two weeks, ( 4 dogs and a cat), it has been a rough spat, but on the upside im going to use the money on a lens. Advice on this inevitable purchace would be appreciated.
The current lenses that i use most are my a 50 1.2, and m 28 2.8. I want to give a modern auto focus lens a shot and am looking at replacing the 28 with a 20-35 ish focal length. I really don't think the 50 is going anywhere as my portrait lens. Im look at the,
21 limited
Tamron 17-50
Sigma 30 1.4
Da 35 2.4
+Suggestions

I will be using this as a bit of a walk around/ landscape lens, with a bit of night photography and animal portraiture thrown in.

Thanks,
Eric

12-31-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EJMzagsfan Quote
Hi all. I have been dog sitting for almost two weeks, ( 4 dogs and a cat), it has been a rough spat, but on the upside im going to use the money on a lens. Advice on this inevitable purchace would be appreciated.
The current lenses that i use most are my a 50 1.2, and m 28 2.8. I want to give a modern auto focus lens a shot and am looking at replacing the 28 with a 20-35 ish focal length. I really don't think the 50 is going anywhere as my portrait lens. Im look at the,
21 limited
Tamron 17-50
Sigma 30 1.4
Da 35 2.4
+Suggestions

I will be using this as a bit of a walk around/ landscape lens, with a bit of night photography and animal portraiture thrown in.

Thanks,
Eric
I would have suggested the new 20-40mm, but the slow aperture isn't exactly the best for night photography, as the lens does best when stopped down at the longer end. The Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma/Tamron 17-50mm, or DA* 16-50 might therefore be better choices The first is an especially good value.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-31-2013, 03:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
I would love a da 16-50, but money is definitely an issue. Likewise for the sigma 17-50 or 20-40. Im trying to keep things under 400, preferably more like 350. The da 35 at 180 is also appealing. Going used is why the 21 is thrown in. Adam i hear you praising the 17-70 all the time so I should put it on the list! Im after lightning so the slow speed
Is not an issue ( as far as night photos anyway).
12-31-2013, 03:31 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would have suggested the new 20-40mm, but the slow aperture isn't exactly the best for night photography, as the lens does best when stopped down at the longer end. The Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma/Tamron 17-50mm, or DA* 16-50 might therefore be better choices The first is an especially good value.
Would you have a preference between the sigma 17-70 and the tamron 16-50 given I don't care much about the extra reach?

12-31-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If you can live with a japanese imported lens direct from japan, the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 has been available for 279$ on Amazon plus 13$ for shipping new. I got one and its a real gem. Just remember its not a usa warranty. If you buy Amazon will say it takes 6 weeks to arrive, but mine got here in 6 days over thanksgiving.

David
12-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The DA 35 is a good choice for the price. Because it's so lightwieght it's a great walkaround lens and low light is pretty good too. Not the sharpest lens in the bunch though. But if you can get a 21mm at a good price, I don't think you could go wrong either.
12-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by David&karen Quote
If you can live with a japanese imported lens direct from japan, the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 has been available for 279$ on Amazon plus 13$ for shipping new. I got one and its a real gem. Just remember its not a usa warranty. If you buy Amazon will say it takes 6 weeks to arrive, but mine got here in 6 days over thanksgiving.

David
If it's a Japanese or Canadian warranty and I live in America, is that like not having a warranty at all?
12-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EJMzagsfan Quote
Would you have a preference between the sigma 17-70 and the tamron 16-50 given I don't care much about the extra reach?
The Tamron's got slightly better image quality, but its AF noisy, which make me lean more toward the Sigma.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Actually the seller is really good about returns and covering it, I have bought 4 lenses from 'Best of Japan' on Amazon and one had to go back and it was painless. But if you want the 6 year Tamron warranty you will have to buy in the USA, and pay 220$ more for it.

David
12-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #10

Original Poster
Good to know
12-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd say the choice is between the Sigma 30 and the DA35. They are more useful in general than the 21. Besides, the 21 is only f3.2, not much faster than your kit lens. The Sigma 30 is a nice lens, but it really really really requires the focus to be matched to your camera. If you don't have a body with lens focus adjustment, I'd give it a pass and get the 35. Two more things to know about the 30 is it has absolutely terrible corners (but the center is superb), and it doesn't focus very closely. If you want corner sharpness or even slightly close focus, get the 35. The Sigma 30 really is kind of a specialized portrait lens, not a general walkabout lens.

The Tamron 17-50 is a fine zoom if you want to go that way, but like Adam, I think I'd get the Sigma 17-70 as a walk about. For me, my walkabout lens had to be WR, so I went with the 18-135, and I like it quite a lot. I love shooting in the rain!