Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 03:02 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ganging Up, eh?

OK, let's clarify, since I see the pack-wolf mentality is emerging here.
My version and David's also (yes, he sent me photos and specs) is the 2-element, 4 group, non-radioactive, red-stripe, non-gossamer, submersible/W/R/DC/AM/FM/Underwater, firmware 1.02, ghost-resistant but vampire-tolerant, non-LTD version. I'l take your Acme Zf^ 2.8793 and raise you 2.8531 MTF/LPM under strictly controlled conditions and no, I won't trade for a Henworth, unless it's near-mint.
Can't we all just get along?
Ron

01-02-2014, 04:30 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

I dunno. The Endgadget reviewer didn't like it ...
01-02-2014, 05:58 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
01-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The Endgadget reviewer didn't like it ...
That was an extensive report, but I seem to recall that the reviewer conceded in an update that they had in fact reviewed a very bad pre-production copy in haste (a floating middle element, badly de-centered front element, serious stiction and hysterisis in the focus mechanism, and lens FW 0.8). It's regrettable that the Endgadget review was so widely read and referenced that it gave the lens a really bad reputation before the positive user experience had been reported. Didn't FW 1.02 correct the stiction?

- Craig

01-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I dunno. The Endgadget reviewer didn't like it ...
The PCMag reviewer liked it but wouldn't give it 5 stars because it wasn't a Canikon.
01-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
and no, I won't trade for a Henworth, unless it's near-mint.
PM sent.
01-02-2014, 08:25 AM   #37
Veteran Member

i think there is one in the Toronto Classifieds at the moment.
The seller doesn't call it out in the title as he is primarily interested in selling the whole kit but if you look closely at the picture and rotate it sideways I can make out the lettering on the front ring.
I'm in LA so I'm wondering if anyone local can go check it out for me.
I called the number but I think he did not have his hearing aid turned up because I just caught 'Eh?' at the end of every sentence.
Send me a PM and I will give you the link.
You can tell he doesn't know what he's got as the price for the kit is way too low.
Says he was clearing out his grandfathers attic and found it.
I will post the pic later this evening.

Last edited by crewl1; 01-02-2014 at 08:34 AM.
01-02-2014, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter

I had the Henworth for a short while, it scared the cat, so I sold it.

01-02-2014, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I'm in LA so I'm wondering if anyone local can go check it out for me.
Don't bother. I think it's the same ad I saw. I drove the five hours to Toronto yesterday to look at the gear, in particular that lens. Turns out the grandfather used to live on the west coast (Vancouver Island), and the whole kit is fungus city. Etched right in. Lots of corrosion on the mount and on both aperture blades. I'd say not worth the risk.

- Craig
01-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Don't bother. I think it's the same ad I saw. I drove the five hours to Toronto yesterday to look at the gear, in particular that lens. Turns out the grandfather used to live on the west coast (Vancouver Island), and the whole kit is fungus city. Etched right in. Lots of corrosion on the mount and on both aperture blades. I'd say not worth the risk.

- Craig
BOTH APERTURE BLADES ?!!
Ah well I guess I will keep looking then.
Thanks for letting me know.

BTW if anyone has a Henworth they want to sell, send me a PM.
I want to scare off some cats that keep eating my bird feeder visitors.

(To the OP, sorry for the thread hijack.)
01-02-2014, 09:41 AM - 4 Likes   #41
Pentaxian

I have to edit my review of this lens. I used it yesterday for a typical scene (white cat playing with a white mouse in a snowbank at noon). The lens was wide open - I didn't buy this lens to worry about depth of field. Anyway, I pressed the shutter button and the lens sucked in every available photon in a square mile. I was in complete darkness for 20 minutes.
01-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Anyway, I pressed the shutter button and the lens sucked in every available photon in a square mile. I was in complete darkness for 20 minutes.
So THAT was you, Dave? I thought it was an eclipse. We saw it here in Congress Park, everyone started using their cellphones as a flashlight...it was very spooky, I tell you!
NASA, FCC, FAA, CIA, FDA and the UN are looking for you, hope they don't see this thread.
I mainly use mine for night shooting, coal mine documentaries, submarine-watching, astrophotography, that sort of thing.
Ron
01-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
night shooting, coal mine documentaries, submarine-watching, astrophotography, that sort of thing.
I heard that the lens was optimized for these types of environments - avoids the very nervous bokeh. (Although several shooters in the Lens Review section reported confusing the swirly bokeh for a nebula and the weird OOF aperture circles for extra stars in one of the constellations.)
01-02-2014, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

No, that is not my final answer!

01-02-2014, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

The sense of humour in this thread is so dry it's evidence of global warming. It will be completely mystifying to anyone stumbling across it by Google search in the future!