Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

As per the first post in this thread - we're just trying to help out the OP (and poor Larry/crewl1 who thought he had stumbled onto something big; and jsherman, who's trying in vain to defend the honour of the mind control device).

01-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Well you guys have covered everything nicely, except I heard the radioactive versions need to be stored in lead boxes, I'm looking for someone with a Geiger counter to see if that's true. Also has anyone blown up the images to 400% to see if the magnetic field the lens emits affect purple fringing or CA?

And no, Im not going for the "What's a Henworth?" (Oh about 5 bucks). I have the Henway version. (As in "what's a Henway? oh about 5 pounds.")
01-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I dunno. The Endgadget reviewer didn't like it ...
And you believe the guy? Soft borders even at f11? For God's sake, this lens was originally designed for medium format! Not the first time a reviewer mixes up character and softness.

Now, I don't know what camera to buy for my copy. Since I have the "pearl and diamond" edition, I was thinking this one would do:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-New-Pentax-LX-Gold-Version-w-50mm-f-1-2-Limited-30...item485dca9b7f

Last edited by causey; 01-02-2014 at 02:47 PM.
01-02-2014, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

This has been so much fun ... writer Bill Bryson claims his fellow Americans don't get irony/sarcasm, but from a number of posters that's clearly not true!

01-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Also has anyone blown up the images to 400% to see if the magnetic field the lens emits affect purple fringing or CA?
Several comprehensive user tests using the slanted metre (yard) stick technique clearly showed the negligible effect of the magnetic field. And posts by many users on that other forum have hotly debated this issue over and over, so I think we can put this one to bed. Although, to be fair, they only looked at enlargements of 300% or less.
01-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
And you believe the guy? Soft borders even at f11? For God's sake, this lens was originally designed for medium format! Not the first time a reviewer mixes up character and softness.

Now, I don't know what camera to buy for my copy. Since I have the "pearl and diamond" edition, I was thinking this one would do:
L New Pentax LX Gold Version w 50mm F 1 2 Limited 300 Pieces | eBay
I wouldn't get that camera if I were you.
It is obvious the seller already used a similar lens on it due to the yellowing of the body.

Everyone knows the radioactive elements react with crocodile skin and will make any nearby metal corrode yellow.
That camera has been abused since the lens instructions say specifically not to use it near crocodiles.

I would bet the shutter is corroded beyond even Eric's skilled capabilities.

Only bodies with synthetic accents should be used.
01-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #52
Site Supporter

I just came in here looking for cheese & bacon. But I think that party's just two doors down.

01-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Everyone knows the radioactive elements react with crocodile skin and will make any nearby metal corrode yellow. That camera has been abused since the lens instructions say specifically not to use it near crocodiles.
Wow, you certainly know your stuff!

But, now that we're totally OT and talking about the camera - take a closer look. I think it's a Ricoh leak. I can't see a mirror in any of the pics (especially in the picture of the front mount), and that's clearly an LCD on the back (it's small, but definitely an LCD. I betcha they're trying out that new Panasony 3.2 Mpixel backlit display)! Oh, I think causey's opened a whole new thread.
01-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Don't bother. I think it's the same ad I saw. I drove the five hours to Toronto yesterday to look at the gear, in particular that lens. Turns out the grandfather used to live on the west coast (Vancouver Island), and the whole kit is fungus city. Etched right in. Lots of corrosion on the mount and on both aperture blades. I'd say not worth the risk.
So what you're saying is that it's in pristine condition but you didn't have the cash left after the holidays, and the seller only promised to hold it for you until this weeked...

Besides, those early 2-bladed aperture versions underexpose on most modern bodies.

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I just came in here looking for cheese & bacon. But I think that party's just two doors down.
None of that here! This is a serious discussion, with technical bits and everything...

But, sometimes cats are also beards:

Last edited by panoguy; 01-02-2014 at 07:26 PM.
01-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
OK, let's clarify...My version and David's also (yes, he sent me photos and specs) is the 2-element, 4 group, non-radioactive, red-stripe, non-gossamer, submersible/W/R/DC/AM/FM/Underwater, firmware 1.02, ghost-resistant but vampire-tolerant, non-LTD version.
Metal or plastic mount?
01-02-2014, 11:56 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now, It's Metal!

Funny you should ask that, it came with the normal hybrid polymer/graphite/carbonfiber-reinforced (OK, plastic!) mount, but squeeked badly when mounting to the body, scaring the dog and other small animals. So, considering the value and rarity of the lens, I chopped up an FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited and used that mount. A good trade-off, wouldn't you say?
Now it doesn't squeak!
Ron
01-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I chopped up an FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited and used that mount. A good trade-off, wouldn't you say?
Yeah, that plastic mount was well known to cause serious squeaks, especially in the cold. Surprised you didn't use the mount from a FA 31 Ltd - it's supposed to have a slightly tighter tolerance on one of the mounting blades. I guess one uses whatever's on hand. Good job.

Did you also grind and polish the focus ring to give it a 'zebra' appearance? I hear it looks great on the Silver K-5/K-3.

- Craig
01-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Better Mount?

Hi Craig,
Wow, I didn't know the 31mm mount was a better fit, I'll get chopping right away! Too bad I tossed the remains of the 77mm, I'll go see if the trashman has picked up yet...ooopps, I hear the truck now, missed it. Oh, well, at least I got to use it for a few years.
I'll have to try the zebra grinding, that sounds great, thanks for the tips!
Ron
01-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A good trade-off, wouldn't you say?
Wow! - that worked? I thought you had to use the mount from a SMC Pentax-FA* 200mm F4 Macro ED [IF]. Good to know.
01-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #60
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Besides, those early 2-bladed aperture versions underexpose on most modern bodies.
.. and that's why I've cunningly held onto my *istD !
The green button (well it's not green next to the Henworth any more: I think there's protoplasm leaking out of mine (anyway sorry for the digression)) does a treat capturing in manual mode. But the flash metering, even TTL (none of that new-fangled P-TTL) is thrown off by the protoplasm, so I'll be pleased when it's all dissipated.