Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2014, 12:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I would check for front\back focus issues. My 55-300mm would sometimes lock up intermittently even in good light and good contrast. A firmware update and doing a AF adjust to the lens has cured it of most of those issues.

Checking Your Camera for Front Focus or Back Focus. | Camera Light & Lens Forum – News
PENTAX DSLRs: Front or Back Focusing Problems? Free test (Lens Alignment) charts for Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus.

01-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #17
Forum Member

The lens in question is the one I sold to BretW. It is very unfortunate that this lens is causing some issue, and it seems that going to the extreme by using tripods and fiddling with controls is much more than what I ever had to do when using this with my K5IIs. Here are some photos I shot in Green Mode, none of them were taken with the camera on a tripod. The cat, clock and fruit bowl were taken in low light. These were the only shots I took of these, so I am not going through multiple shots and choosing the best ones.

01-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
I would like to add two things.

First, drpower has behaved honorably throughout this situation. I have no negative sense about him as a seller. I would have no hesitancy about dealing with him. And if this lens (which still has warranty for the original purchaser) were to have its SDM addressed in the way derekkite describes, I would have no hesitancy about it either. The lens is a beautiful piece of glass, barely used, mint and I'm quite confident that whatever is going on with the lens, drpower was as surprised as I was to discover there was an issue.

Second, my experience with the lens suggests that the cat and the clock shots might or might not have caused the clicking issue based on low light and contrast, the other images would have elicited confident autofocus.