Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.2

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

How much would you pay for this lens? I can get one for $400.00, maybe less. I would use it, but would also begetting it as an investment, assuming the price would increase over time.

Your opinions please.

01-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I paid more than that for mine. Grab it at that price while you can.
01-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Buy it!

Buy it now! I waited a long time to find one for less than $600. People are starting to pay $400 for the older, non-A version. Assuming the lens works, $400 is an incredible bargain now.
01-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure it is actually the 'A' version
Make sure it is actually the 1:1.2 and not the 1:2 version (ebay sellers love to get that wrong)
Make sure the aperture and aperture ring work properly
Make sure the focus is smooth
Make sure the glass is clean and clear

And yeah, that's a great price. I think it rare to find one under $600 now. Always check KEH website before buying, if you can get it there for the same or less and a 6 month warranty you don't need to buy from guys in back alleys.

01-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
He does say this:

"The only issue I can see with it is that one of the inside glass elements near the rear has some little faint "marks" in its coating. These do not appear to be fungus or haze, just some other sort of slight mark to only the coating, not sure from what. I doubt these marks would affect pictures."

Based on this I think I can talk him down a bit. I am sure its the 1.2 version, but will double check the other things mentioned. Thanks for the advice.
01-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by SashasMom Quote
How much would you pay for this lens? I can get one for $400.00, maybe less. I would use it, but would also begetting it as an investment, assuming the price would increase over time.

Your opinions please.
Under $400 sounds like a great price! I paid $499 for a mint condition one several years ago.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Check this out:

That sold for $865 with shipping. Granted, that's unusual (normal is between $650 and $800), but people go nuts over this lens.

Like Jatrax said, make sure it's really the A-50 f/1.2. There are a lot of 50's out there, and just about all of them are worth less than this one.

01-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #8

Original Poster
Emailed seller. Waiting to hear back. Want to make sure its the A version before taking a look at it. I'll keep you posted.
01-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Will you be buying this in person? (assuming it's a classified or CL ad)

If it's a person that doesn't know much about cameras, make sure you check the lens out well. Bring a flashlight and check around inside. If you find anything else wrong with the lens, see if you can talk them down a bit more.

For one in really good condition, $400 would be a nice bargain.
01-03-2014, 12:24 AM   #10

Original Poster
Heard back from the seller. Not the "A" version. So I'll think I'll pass.

RARE Asahi Pentax SMC 50mm f1.2 Lens K Mount - Fast Amazing Glass!

heres the link
01-03-2014, 12:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Darn. I guess the seller knows what they're doing. The K version usually goes for between $300 and $400, so their price isn't unreasonable. It's just not a bargain.
01-03-2014, 04:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Both are great .the k version which I own one in mint condition is 8 blades.. better in build quality but the A version has 9 blades..