Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2008, 06:30 AM   #1
Forum Member

New lens recommendations?

Hey guys and gals. I've had my K100D Super since November and my kit lens has served me well. Now I'm looking at getting a new lens. Right now I don't really have a huge need for a long zoom, and I'd like it to be used as an everyday walk around lens. Budget wise isn't a huge issue, however I don't need something thats going to break the bank. I guess what I'm looking for is some general direction, and perhaps some input from people who had previously been in the situation I am in.

Thanks in advance.

04-09-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Again Ecosse, the best 'walk about' lens available IMO is the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di. It's not as wide as the kit lens and for some that may be a negative but for Image quality, close focus ability, speed, sharpness and overall build, it's one of the best lenses available in the range. It's on my camera almost all the time and only removed for a more specialized lens.

For a wide to long super zoom that covers almost anything the 18-250 Pentax or Tamron is a good choice. Many users have them and like the quality. I bit on the slow side but unless the light is dim, it should serve you well.
04-09-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

are you looking for wider, or faster, or longer, zooms or primes?
wider - Pentax DA 16-45 f4
Faster - Pentax DA* 16-50 f2.8 if you can afford it, otherwise Sigma 18-50 2.8, there's a Tamron 17-50 2.8 but there are QC problems
Longer - Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.? or wait for the Pentax 17-70 f4

if you're looking for a prime, the FA 50mm 1.4 is always recommended
04-09-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Question asked many times, and I was considering the same thing a while ago.
You stated, that you don't need a long zoom, that means something in a "normal" range will do.
You have a couple of possibilities:

1. Pentax 16-45 (or 16-50 if it is a good copy) if you need a wide angle more
2. Tamron 28-75 F/2.8
3. Sigma 24-70 maybe....
4. Sigma 17-70 if you need both wide and semi-long for portraits.

I got myself the last one. The tamron was not wide enough and pentax not long enough for me.

I think those are all very good walk around lenses. It is just up to you to decide. Sorry.

04-09-2008, 06:49 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cool guys, you've given me some homework to do, lol. I was kinda of leaning toward the 16-45 because wider would be nice. But I'll do some reasearch on all of the above models, to see whats right for me.
04-09-2008, 06:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Eric

I agree with all the choices - I own the Tamron 28-75 can't say enough good things about it and it is relatively cheap. For me I like a little wider so I also have the DA 12-24 this one is quite a bit more money (less than a DA* though) , but between the two of them they work well and good for a limited bag.

I also have the Tamron 18-250. When flying on a business trip let's say I will bring this one and maybe the fisheye. There are lots of reviews / feedback on all the lens mentioned.

Currently I am most interested in the 17-70 range. Sigma makes a good one. Just waiting to see what the Pentax version will be like. IF any good I would consider a great walk around 'kit' of a 17-70 and maybe a DA* 50-135.

I would suggest figure out what range you like , budget then there are lots of options. Good luck.
04-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Eric

I agree with all the choices - I own the Tamron 28-75 can't say enough good things about it and it is relatively cheap. For me I like a little wider so I also have the DA 12-24 this one is quite a bit more money (less than a DA* though) , but between the two of them they work well and good for a limited bag.

I also have the Tamron 18-250. When flying on a business trip let's say I will bring this one and maybe the fisheye. There are lots of reviews / feedback on all the lens mentioned.

Currently I am most interested in the 17-70 range. Sigma makes a good one. Just waiting to see what the Pentax version will be like. IF any good I would consider a great walk around 'kit' of a 17-70 and maybe a DA* 50-135.

I would suggest figure out what range you like , budget then there are lots of options. Good luck.
While the DA* 50-135 is a great lens (just got mine on Friday) I wouldn't call it a "walk-around" lens. It's too big and heavy! The thing is a beast.
04-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by azcavalier Quote
While the DA* 50-135 is a great lens (just got mine on Friday) I wouldn't call it a "walk-around" lens. It's too big and heavy! The thing is a beast.
Ha-ha guess there are 'discrete' walk around lens and the ‘hey look at me' kind of walk around lens ... guess it all depends on preference and where it is you are walking around. I have the Bigma - it has to be smaller than that! I have tested a DA* 50-135 - I don’t find it that big, then again I did not 'grow up' on primes.

04-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The Limited pancake trio!
04-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
The Limited pancake trio!
I would Love to have those - an he did say price was not a primary concen... ok a quick check for Canadians and I see (this is pre PST and GST taxes)

PENTAX smc P-FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited - $1298.11
PENTAX 43mm f/1.9 Limited Edition - $470.11
PENTAX smc P-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited - $944.80

Peanuts $2713.02 + taxes and shipping Of course this was just one store and buying international (US) used would be cheaper - but new , at a store that generally has good prices and reputation that is a boat load of loonies.
04-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Ha-ha guess there are 'discrete' walk around lens and the ‘hey look at me' kind of walk around lens ... guess it all depends on preference and where it is you are walking around. I have the Bigma - it has to be smaller than that! I have tested a DA* 50-135 - I don’t find it that big, then again I did not 'grow up' on primes.
The only prime that I have is an old (but mint) M 50mm f/1.7, and I like it fine for portraits.

Wait, does the Takumar 300mm f/4 count as a prime? That's definitely not a walk around lens.

I would probably get a zoom for a walk around, not a prime. Just gives you more versatility. I also wouldn't get something that's a super wide angle, like a 10-20 or 12-24 for a walk around. Again, just not versatile enough. But that's just one man's opinion. I have the Tamron 18-200mm (I bought it before they started selling the 18-250mm version), and I like it a lot, though it's a little soft at the 200mm end. That's my favorite walk around lens. Light and versatile.

The 50-135mm is definitely smaller than the Bigma, and it's smaller than my 300mm, for certain. But I was surprised at how physically big it was when I pulled it out of the box. I had expected it to be a little longer than my Tamron 18-200, but about the same barrel thickness, but it's not even close. It dwarfs my Tammy. It's the second biggest (physically) lens I have. But it's the nicest.
04-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ecosse Quote
Cool guys, you've given me some homework to do, lol. I was kinda of leaning toward the 16-45 because wider would be nice. But I'll do some reasearch on all of the above models, to see whats right for me.
wait!!!!!! stop!!!!! don't get that lens!! If that's the range your looking for may I suggest the sigma 18-50 f/2.8 ex dc macro! Its cheaper and faster than the 16-45 and has won a pop photo award!!!

sigma link on amazon

edit: this link doesn't send you to the one that has won the awards...this one does...which is slightly more expensive than the 16-45
04-09-2008, 11:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
wait!!!!!! stop!!!!! don't get that lens!! If that's the range your looking for may I suggest the sigma 18-50 f/2.8 ex dc macro! Its cheaper and faster than the 16-45 and has won a pop photo award!!!

sigma link on amazon

edit: this link doesn't send you to the one that has won the awards...this one does...which is slightly more expensive than the 16-45
FWIW that's the older version of the 18-50 lens. For the price its still very nice though.
04-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm in the 17-70 (Sigma) camp myself and I really like it. Here is the link to pbase which will give you some samples of what this lens is capable of:
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens Sample Photos and Specifications

If I decide later on that I'd like a constant 2.8, then I may see about picking up the Tamron 28-75 and getting the DA21/3.2 to cover the wider end. Unlike a lot of people around here, I don't necessarily need anything extra wide at this point.

New, the 17-70 runs around $389, but you can pick one up used in the $300 or so range.

HTH,
Heather
04-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
Despite all the exclamation marks to the contrary, please do consider the Pentax 16-45mm. There is no lens sharper edge to edge in this range. It has excellent IQ and is lighter than the Sigma. Plus it's got the Quick-Shift system and is close focusing enough that some makes would slap on the badge "macro".

As for price, they both come in around the same. The Sigma has the one stop advantage but the Pentax has 2mm extra in the wide-end, which is an extra 6 degrees horizontal angle of view (whereas you won't even notice the missing 5mm on the telephoto end).

I needed shots that were clean and sharp right out to the edges even wide open. The Pentax gives me this.