Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
US web sites to buy used lenses for Pentax

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,

I wonder what are the recommended US web sites to buy used lenses for Pentax?

I am aware of
- of course, pentaxforums marketplace
- ebay.com
- adorama and b&h used gear departments
- KEH.com

Where do you get used Pentax lenses from?

01-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only place I've bought from that you haven't listed is shopgoodwill.com. But they only ship to the US & Puerto Rico.

You could try National Camera Exchange. I don't know about shipping outside the US.

Digital Cameras accessories and photographic equipment - National Camera Exchange Stores Minnesota Minneapolis St-Paul MN
01-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #3

FWIW, I've used pentaxforum's marketplace and ebay with excellent results. Strongly recommend contacting the seller before purchase as a way of smoothing your purchase and making yourself comfortable with the transaction. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Fortunately, I think the value involved in the exchange tends to assure there's enough in the deal to cover the cost of mistakes... which do and will happen. Reputation matters in a small community - and I'm supposing a community of Pentaxians is fairly small within the not-so-large band of ardent photographers willing to spend more than a couple of $'s on quality equipment. Both yours and the sellers... and this tends to encourage good behavior as well. But maybe I've just been lucky, too.

I've bought plenty from B&H and have had nothing but the best experience with them... but it's been new stuff. Can't speak to the other two... though I've visited their sites. Good luck!
01-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Local craigslist...one option where you get to inspect the merchandise...

01-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #5

Borrowlenses.com sells some of their used equipment.
01-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c3p0 Quote
If there's something specific you're seeking, don't overlook the 'Wanted' section of our Marketplace.
01-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Over the past 5 years, I've purchased used gear from KEH, Adorama, B&H, eBay, and of course our own PentaxForums market place. Never had a problem with any of them. On balance now, if I can't find it in our market place, I'll go to KEH, and then ebay. Nothing wrong with Adorama or B&H just that I've come to feel I'm paying more for them with a more narrow selection. I've purchased some from Henry's Cameras in Canada as well.

Last edited by blackcloudbrew; 01-03-2014 at 01:20 PM.
01-03-2014, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c3p0 Quote
Hi,

I am aware of
- of course, pentaxforums marketplace
- ebay.com
- adorama and b&h used gear departments
- KEH.com

Where do you get used Pentax lenses from?
I have bought used from Adorama & B&H. I felt I got good merchandise where my assessment of the condition of the used item was that it was as good or better than their assessment. The peace of mind of buying used from Adorama or B&H does come at a price as used items will be priced on the high side. I will soon know, and send an update to this message regarding KEH. I just ordered a used DA 21 Limited in LN- condition from them at what looks like a good price. I will update this when I get it and take a few pictures with it.

Last edited by jddwoods; 01-03-2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: correct typo
01-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Marketplace here
KEH
Ebay
Adorama
B&H
01-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have purchased lenses from the Sigma Outlet - these are manufacturer refurbished units that carry a limited warranty.

Shop Lenses | Sigma
01-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Another place for refurbished lenses that come with limited (90 day) manufacturer warranties is National Camera Exchange via their eBay storefront:

items in National Camera Exchange Store store on eBay!

I can't tell you how hard it has been for me to resist buying the factory-refurbished Tamron 28-75 that they are selling for $325. Soo sooo tempting!!
01-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I have bought used from Adorama & B&H. I felt I got good merchandise where my assessment of the condition of the used item was that it was as good or better than their assessment. The peace of mind of buying used from Adorama or B&H does come at a price as used items will be priced on the high side. I will soon know, and send an update to this message regarding KEH. I just ordered a used DA 21 Limited in LN- condition from them at what looks like a good price. I will update this when I get it and take a few pictures with it.
I just received the DA21 from KEH and the lens looks and feels like a brand new lens, no scratches, dings or wobbling. I will be testing it out soon.
01-05-2014, 08:03 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Other places to check are pawnshops and estate sales/garage sales. Around here, though, you have to be quick at the estate sales. There are retired guys who sell used gear who hit them fairly early. You might also check your local camera store, even if they don't carry Pentax. Sometimes people will trade their Pentax gear in on something newer.
01-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I have purchased lenses from the Sigma Outlet - these are manufacturer refurbished units that carry a limited warranty.

Shop Lenses | Sigma

$680 for a refurb 50mm f/1.4? No thanks.
01-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
$680 for a refurb 50mm f/1.4? No thanks.
when you select the lens and choose Pentax mount, the in-cart sales price is: $349.00 with free shipping and no taxes (at least not to my state).

Pretty good deal in my opinion.