Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #1

Is there a new version of the rokinon 85 f1.4 coming out

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking at getting a rokinon 85 f1.4 lens for my k30 and have noticed at Adorama and Samyang (korea) sites they have this lens with the red stripe instead of the gold stripe and name plate you see on most other sites like at B&H. This new picture makes it look more in line with the rest of the newer lenses they have been releasing. Does anyone know if there is a new version of this lens or do you think there was just a mistake with the wrong picture being posted? I'm worried that if they do release a new lens then I don't want to get an older version which might not be as good, or I would wait for reviews of the new version before buying.

Thanks

01-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bus Pass Quote
Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking at getting a rokinon 85 f1.4 lens for my k30 and have noticed at Adorama and Samyang (korea) sites they have this lens with the red stripe instead of the gold stripe and name plate you see on most other sites like at B&H. This new picture makes it look more in line with the rest of the newer lenses they have been releasing. Does anyone know if there is a new version of this lens or do you think there was just a mistake with the wrong picture being posted? I'm worried that if they do release a new lens then I don't want to get an older version which might not be as good, or I would wait for reviews of the new version before buying.

Thanks
The lens is released in various different brandings, such as vivitar, rokinon, and samyang. They all have different appearance but are the same lens optically and mechanically. I believe the rokinons have red rings while the samyangs have gold rings and I don't believe there are any new versions coming out. This particular lens is already a stellar performer

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The photo is the Canon version on Adorama.

The photo for the Samyang branded Pentax version is of the Nikon version...

Only the photo for the Bower branded lens shows the Pentax version.
01-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
They do make a cine version for video use. It has a focus ring and clickless aperture ring that work with focus rigs. It is also labeled with t-stop instead of f-stops.

01-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

To sum up:
-This exact lens is sold under many different brands, including Vivitar, Bower, ProOptic, Falcon, Walimex, Rokinon, and probably others. There might be cosmetic differences between these (especially "Vivitar" variants can be found with a different focus ring and red letters), but they (should) all have the exact same features and optical performance. As far as we know. They are all made by Samyang. Note that you might be able to find these lenses priced differently, even from the same store.
-Many Samyang primes also come in the "Cine" variant. I don't think these exist for Pentax mount (yet). These are optically the same as the regular lenses, but they are made for video, so they have a different look (a spiky/geared focus ring for follow focus) and stepless aperture (no clicks) and T number instead of F number (T is light transmission, it is important for videographers. T number is slightly higher than the F number). No AF on these lenses, either. And not as pleasant to handle by hand.
-Samyang also makes micro four thirds lenses that look a lot like the regular lenses, but are slightly different. Don't let this confuse you - only look at the "for Pentax" (K-mount) lenses (unless you want to use adapters or have cameras with other mounts)
-Websites might also show a wrong thumbnail. This can lead to some confusion, for example a "for Pentax" lens might be represented as a lens without an A setting on the aperture ring. But the actual lens, once you get it, will have the A setting on the aperture ring. Its just that image was for a different variant of the lens for a different mount.

I have not heard of any rumours about a new 85mm, but I have read somewhere that Samyang might give a try making a fast 50mm next. No confirmation, as far as I know.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 01-03-2014 at 02:34 PM.
01-04-2014, 12:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

So, even the coatings and the grade of glass and other materials are identical?
01-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Yes, Boris, all the Samyang-derived 85's are the same lens. They make them all to a certain spec, then label (badge) their own, send the rest out to the various sub-contractors, companies like Vivitar, who have a distributorship in place, but don't actually build lenses, they SELL them. Same for Rokinon, Bower, etc. Each sub will then put on small cosmetic changes like different texture focusing rings, a colored stripe, a badge or logo.
And most sell for within a few dollars of the same price.
Same item, different label.
Ron

01-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I have no way of testing this, and I am not aware of anyone doing these tests. But if you think about it, it seems these all have the same listed features and construction (focal length, focus throw, aperture blades, optical elements/groups, hood) and appear to be made in the same factory. Though, I guess the only way to know for certain is to ask the person in charge of the factory where they make these. Or doing detailed experiments, but this seems even less sensible.
01-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess I could have clarified that I had already known about the various different brandings and that is why I mentioned the samyang korea site since they would be the manufacturer for all of them I assume. The picture they have that matched adorama's is fairly different from what has been out for the other brands. To illustrate this are links to samyang and the adorama product page so show the similar look and rokinon to show a classic look if you will that most of us will be familiar with.
Samyang Optics, Lenses for Camera ? Cine ? Photo - VDSLR, Prime Lenses & Third party Lenses
Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical Lens for Pentax DSLR Cameras 85M-P
Rokinon.com | Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical Lens for Pentax DSLR Cameras - 85mm f/.4 Portrait

Also from the info on the samyang site it looks like the internals are the same from what I have read previously so maybe it was just a cosmetic thing and or they added the umc that is on the nikon chip version.

At any rate like Adam and others who have or used this lens, it sounds like a great lens so it is probably a safe bet either way.
Thanks again everyone for your input.
01-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The Rokinon page at B&H

Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical Lens for Pentax 85M-P B&H Photo

only mentions "Multi-Layer Coating"

while the Korean Samyang page

Samyang Optics, Lenses for Camera ? Cine ? Photo - VDSLR, Prime Lenses & Third party Lenses

specifically mentions "ultra multi coating(UMC)"
and states: This latest Samyang 85mm F1.4 AS IF UMC Aspherical Lenses
also feature new UMC (Ultra Multi Coatings) which aid the very high level of light transmission,
and adds further resistance to flare and ghosting.

Bus Pass, it looks like you might do well to wait,
if you're not in a hurry or on a really tight budget.
01-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can find some comparisons of the MC vs. UMC versions of the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 in Nikon mount here:

85mm Samyang f/1.4
01-06-2014, 05:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I think the MC to UMC update happened quite a long time ago, some years ago even.