Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jwmster Quote
" I think the beauty of a prime lens is that it commits you to that specific view of things that it offers."
This is 100% of why I moved this direction: force the creativity. Otherwise, I tend to get lazy and try to frame with my lens first rather than my mind.
and when you are perched on a rock in the middle of a 10 foot deep stream, your tripod wedged in about a foot of water, your camera bag 20 yards away while taking shots of a waterfall, framing with your mind is all you have with a prime.

I have spent probably 3 years of my life perched on rocks or tree branches, crouched in awkward positions, and I'll take my zoom everyday of the week because sometimes I just don't know if the 20mm or 28mm or 32mm perspective looks better. if I have 15mins of alpenglow light after a 6 mile uphill hike, I guarantee you I'm not wasting 30 seconds to change lenses because I want 21mm or 40mm perspective.

Sometimes it's not being lazy to own a zoom, it's being logistically practical.

01-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
and when you are perched on a rock in the middle of a 10 foot deep stream, your tripod wedged in about a foot of water, your camera bag 20 yards away while taking shots of a waterfall, framing with your mind is all you have with a prime.

I have spent probably 3 years of my life perched on rocks or tree branches, crouched in awkward positions, and I'll take my zoom everyday of the week because sometimes I just don't know if the 20mm or 28mm or 32mm perspective looks better. if I have 15mins of alpenglow light after a 6 mile uphill hike, I guarantee you I'm not wasting 30 seconds to change lenses because I want 21mm or 40mm perspective.

I own a 16-50 zoom, but I prefer the DA 15 due to less distortion and less flare. Size isn't a big deal to me. If I was shooting water falls, it wouldn't make as much difference, as those usually aren't flare situations...
01-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote

I wouldn't dream of going into any "unknown" situation with (only) primes, not if my primary intention is to take pictures. But for a casual visit to a museum or just a walkabout I prefer primes.

Of course, I shoot purely for fun. I might well have thought differently of my income depended on my pictures
01-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I wouldn't dream of going into any "unknown" situation with (only) primes, not if my primary intention is to take pictures. But for a casual visit to a museum or just a walkabout I prefer primes.

Of course, I shoot purely for fun. I might well have thought differently of my income depended on my pictures
Back on topic I don't see the 15 and the 21 as competitors. They supplement each other beautifully IMO.

(Edit: Posting from the phone isn't too comfortable )

01-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #20

"Sometimes it's not being lazy to own a zoom, it's being logistically practical"

I agree with this 100%...which is why I referred to MY laziness... not someone else's.