Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,356
Tamron 70-300mm

after reading the posts on this lens and realizing i just needed the 70-200mm range (have the f*300mm) and seeing the tag at $130 i took the plunge. it arrived a few minutes ago and i shot these. they are straight out of the K20D, shot in jpg at 200mm, full image and 100% crop, shot thru a window.


Last edited by ivoire; 04-12-2009 at 10:28 AM.
04-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 731
Nice shots. It really is a great lens for the $$. I don't make it out past 150mm very often but the tammy never lets me down when I do...
04-09-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,356
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigben91682 Quote
Nice shots. It really is a great lens for the $$. I don't make it out past 150mm very often but the tammy never lets me down when I do...
I just couldn't believe that a $130 lens would deliver this kind of image quality. I can see why there is so much 'controversy' over it, but the optics (and price) sell the lens
04-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Buddha Jones's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,591
I've got one for sale if anyone wants one!

04-09-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sault Ste Marie, Ont, Canada.
Posts: 563
You are killing me. A cardinal. You have a shot of a cardinal. I have been in search of one up here for ages now.

It isnít a bad lens for the money. Does suffer from PF in the right situations. But then, what do you expect for the money. It is good value.
04-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,356
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
You are killing me. A cardinal. You have a shot of a cardinal. I have been in search of one up here for ages now.

It isnít a bad lens for the money. Does suffer from PF in the right situations. But then, what do you expect for the money. It is good value.

female cardinal shot with 300mm f*. got the 70 300 for my cycling thru the park days. the same dove with 3 steps in photoshop

Last edited by ivoire; 04-12-2009 at 10:29 AM.
04-10-2008, 04:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian
cardinal43's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,347
I got the same lens a couple of weeks ago, but haven't had much time to use it (too much work), but I do have a couple of "newbie" questions if you don't mind.

1st. newbie question: I have never had a lens with macro capabilities, so I'm not exactly sure how all of this works. I see the "slider" for normal and macro, and it is currently in "normal" but won't slide. When and how is this supposed to work?

2nd. newbie question: The aperture ring is set at "A". Is it supposed to stay that way, or will there be occassions when I should change it. I read through the instruction page (huge freaking page in a gazillion languages), and it stated where it should be, depending on which camera you have, but I'm not sure I understood it. BTW, I have the K100D if it matters.

Thanks!
04-10-2008, 04:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member
pentagor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 473
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I got the same lens a couple of weeks ago, but haven't had much time to use it (too much work), but I do have a couple of "newbie" questions if you don't mind.

1st. newbie question: I have never had a lens with macro capabilities, so I'm not exactly sure how all of this works. I see the "slider" for normal and macro, and it is currently in "normal" but won't slide. When and how is this supposed to work?
First put the lens to the focal length of 180mm or more. Then move the switch. The lens has its macro capability from 180 - 300mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
2nd. newbie question: The aperture ring is set at "A". Is it supposed to stay that way, or will there be occassions when I should change it. I read through the instruction page (huge freaking page in a gazillion languages), and it stated where it should be, depending on which camera you have, but I'm not sure I understood it. BTW, I have the K100D if it matters.

Thanks!
The A position is for all bodies, that support setting the aperture of the lens on the body. If you have a manual camera, that doesn't support that, then you can use the aperture ring to set the lens aperture. So with your K100D, just leave it in "A"

04-10-2008, 07:22 AM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 810
Great photos, the sharpness of the 70-300 really comes through in them.

I have a question for 70-300 owners. I just got mine. The zoom ring on mine is SIGNIFICANTLY tougher to turn at both ends of the zoom range, especially at the 300mm end. Is this normal for this lens?
04-10-2008, 07:30 AM   #10
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,356
Original Poster
Mine is stiff on the initial turn when closed and when fully extended, but once in motion it disappears. The resolution does get soft above 200mm (200-300 needs to be stopped down), but i didn't buy the lens for that length
04-10-2008, 07:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member
pentagor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 473
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Great photos, the sharpness of the 70-300 really comes through in them.

I have a question for 70-300 owners. I just got mine. The zoom ring on mine is SIGNIFICANTLY tougher to turn at both ends of the zoom range, especially at the 300mm end. Is this normal for this lens?
Same here.... I don't know if it is normal, but I think it is because of a macro function. Macro usually requires manual focus...
04-10-2008, 08:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Owego, NY
Posts: 976
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I got the same lens a couple of weeks ago, but haven't had much time to use it (too much work), but I do have a couple of "newbie" questions if you don't mind.

1st. newbie question: I have never had a lens with macro capabilities, so I'm not exactly sure how all of this works. I see the "slider" for normal and macro, and it is currently in "normal" but won't slide. When and how is this supposed to work?

2nd. newbie question: The aperture ring is set at "A". Is it supposed to stay that way, or will there be occassions when I should change it. I read through the instruction page (huge freaking page in a gazillion languages), and it stated where it should be, depending on which camera you have, but I'm not sure I understood it. BTW, I have the K100D if it matters.

Thanks!
The "macro" capability of the Tamron 70-300 is a bit weird. As others have said, to enable it, you have to be zoomed past 180mm to enable it. Once enabled, you can't zoom back out below 180mm until you:
1) Move the focus to a "non-macro" position
2) Flip the switch back to normal

It also isn't quite true macro - the Tammy can do 1:2 (respectable) but most people only consider 1:1 true macro.

It is best to leave the aperture ring in the A position unless doing something very unusual (such as using extension tubes that do not have any aperture couplings to allow even closer focusing - with such tubes, a lens in "A" mode will get stopped down to the smallest aperture possible).
04-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #13
Pentaxian
cardinal43's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,347
Thanks for your replies, everyone!!!

@jake14mw: Mine was like that. I thought it was "jammed" at first, then realized that I needed to exert just a little more force on it.
04-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Wales, UK
Posts: 645
Nice shots, love the 2nd one..

Must admit I've just sold my Tamron & replaced it with the Sigma APO version, just a bit too much PF on my copy, colour/contrast rendition wasn't great either - you seem to have a better copy though !!

simon
04-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #15
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,356
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simonkit Quote
Nice shots, love the 2nd one..

Must admit I've just sold my Tamron & replaced it with the Sigma APO version, just a bit too much PF on my copy, colour/contrast rendition wasn't great either - you seem to have a better copy though !!

simon
thanks for the comment. debated on getting this lens, but i don't think i'll regret it. my long lost relatives came from wales. your pics (though i've never been) make me homesick. great portfolio
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax lens, shot, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax DA 55-300mm vs Tamron 70-300mm at long end (brickwall) tcdk Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 11-15-2009 12:52 AM
Focus speed of Pentax 55-300mm vs Tamron 70-300mm Vmax911 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 09-07-2008 10:02 PM
18-250mm f6.3 tamron vs tamron 300mm f2.8 vs tamron 300mm f2.8 + 1.7x AF Tel. konraDarnok Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 06-17-2008 06:28 PM
Tamron 70-300mm, Tamron 75-300mm, or Pentax 80-320mm? ajtour Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 06-02-2008 11:24 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:03 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top