Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2014, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by billy moon Quote
"If you showed up with one of these at a wedding you'd get laughed out" What does this mean?
I think it means people pointing and laughing at you because of your short and small of girth lens. Not that thats ever happened to me

01-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Up until the very last sentence I was respectfully in agreement - but this isn't a wedding lens, so that's throw away snark, which is a shame.

I don't know yet what this lens is for. I already have the green line DA40; the 21 and the 70 would be a better trio for me than this lens. I'll wait for more user reviews.

If I were a wedding shooter I'd wait for the 28-70 and 70-210 that are coming with the FF later this year. Or use another brand. There's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-09-2014 at 09:20 AM.
01-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If I were a wedding shooter I'd wait for the 28-70 and 70-210 that are coming with the FF later this year. Or use another brand. There's nothing wrong with that.
????
01-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Terzof Quote
We have the Silver edition a month ago, a "Test Sample"

Our impressive: Half weight of 31 Limited, very high speed compare to old Limited, the color is surely Limited! Sharpness is perfect as Ltd define,

Negative: Expensive :|

Negative vs the 31Ltd also: slower (aperture-wise) than molasses. That's the really disappointing bit to me, it really really is nothing special to have a variable-aperture, slow (aperture-wise) zoom, regardless of ring colors...

01-09-2014, 05:00 AM   #65

Paul has a point, optics wise it's performance is more kit lens like than pro grade zoom lens. Whatever way you cut it if the review samples are a fair reflection on most copies it's very strange because to design a good lens with such a short range isn't exactly that hard for any lens designer. There is little point beating on about how nicely it's made if the performance isn't reflective of the price paid.

For the money nothing short of stellar is acceptable for such a lens.
01-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
Paul has a point, optics wise it's performance is more kit lens like than pro grade zoom lens.
It's neither of those.

Neither the muddiness of the kit lens,
nor the standard unexceptionable sharpness
of a workaday pro grade zoom lens.

It's classic Pentax, with the kind of special rendering
that is characteristic of the Limited lenses.

If that doesn't mean anything to you,
you're welcome to move on.
01-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
Paul has a point, optics wise it's performance is more kit lens like than pro grade zoom lens. Whatever way you cut it if the review samples are a fair reflection on most copies it's very strange because to design a good lens with such a short range isn't exactly that hard for any lens designer. There is little point beating on about how nicely it's made if the performance isn't reflective of the price paid.

For the money nothing short of stellar is acceptable for such a lens.
Again, I don't have a problem with the review but to claim that this lens can not produce a sharp contrasty image at 40mm until f8 is not reflected in every other user who has taken the time to type out their own user review. I can say that if I had the image resolution issue that Adam's copy had, I certainly would have sent it back. And though I can't speak for others, I suspect, having spent nearly $1,000 for the lens they would do the same.

Having shot thousands of images with my DA 21, 35ltd. and 40, I can say without having the imatest data in front of me that this lens produces sharpness, clarity and color that is the equal of the primes and more so...and it has WR to boot. It sounded like Ogl had done some testing so there is perhaps data that would support my assertion. Bottom line for me, if I add up the cost of those 3 lens purchased now I'm looking at over $1500 so to me the 900 for the DA ltd. zoom is a fair price. Your mileage my vary.

There are lots of options out there including used $250 Tamrons. If you don't like what Pentax has to offer great go for something else. But I do find the shock and horror that Pentax didn't produce a Sigma clone (with "Pro Specs") interesting. I haven't been shooting Pentax for as long as many other on the forum but the DA ltd. zoom was exactly what I'd expect from Pentax. They offered a compelling solution to those out there who want the DA prime quality and aesthetic but don't want to change lenses.

01-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #68
Veteran Member

I'm really glad we bought this lens before Adam's review. I know Adam said he tested two copies of this lens, but my tests/use of our copy show almost none of the negatives his test did. Even wide open at 40mm most of the frame is sharp and contrasty, and gets better as you stop down. All the other focal lengths are better than 40mm at equilavent f stops. I shoot weddings on occasion and would/will be using this lens when appropriate. Adam either got two bad copies or we hit the lottery on our copy(we evaluated on a K3). And we do own the DA limited 21,70 and the XS 40, and the FA 31mm. This lens is as good as them when you stop down and better than the DA 21 at wide apertures. I have a shoot in a few hours so I can't post any pics now, but we love this lens.

D&K
01-11-2014, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by David&karen Quote
I'm really glad we bought this lens before Adam's review. I know Adam said he tested two copies of this lens, but my tests/use of our copy show almost none of the negatives his test did.
Your good experience of this lens matches mine.

QuoteOriginally posted by David&karen Quote
I have a shoot in a few hours so I can't post any pics now, but we love this lens.
When you're ready to post, there's now a lens club for this lens:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/247859-da-limited-zoom-club.html#post2642004
01-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Your good experience of this lens matches mine.

When you're ready to post, there's now a lens club for this lens:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/247859-da-limited-zoom-club.html#post2642004
Finally a place for some images. Love the lens.
01-12-2014, 04:58 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
but I've abandoned hope to get anything cheap anymore that lives up to my expectations.
Wim
Most profound and comprehensive statement so far I've read......... clearly form a person with some years on them (read "experience")..... covers all things including relationships......
01-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
It's neither of those.

Neither the muddiness of the kit lens,
nor the standard unexceptionable sharpness
of a workaday pro grade zoom lens.

It's classic Pentax, with the kind of special rendering
that is characteristic of the Limited lenses.

If that doesn't mean anything to you,
you're welcome to move on.

I see Nikon users saying the same about the new 58mm f1.4 ie lovely rendering, but most users will consider the lens overpriced for what you get
There are plenty of nice rendering lenses that cost a lot less than either the Pentax or the Nikkor
01-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #73

I traded a 21mm limited (which I enjoyed), a 70mm limited (well crafted, but rarely used due to its long focal length), and a 50mm FA (rarely used) for this lens.

At f/4.0 this lens is sharp at all focal lengths. At 20mm f/2.8 it is sharp enough, and has nice bokeh. It renders colors well, has WR and quiet DC focus, and seems to be the right size and weight for general use.

So far, so good. The sharpness of this lens is similar to that of the primes it replaces, and it has the familiar quality of construction common to the Limited series. I do not miss the old lenses.

Ricoh continues the tradition of the Pentax Limited lens.

I have enclosed some quick jpegs for members to review.

Last edited by Tbone51; 01-18-2014 at 05:48 AM.
01-20-2014, 05:06 AM - 2 Likes   #74
ogl
Banned

I've got mine DA20-40 and I can say that this lens is the sharpest lens which I have.
It's sharper than ALL DA limited at my K-5IIs. It's sharp as FA43 and has better corner sharpness.

BUT....I have AF problems with this lens at the infinity at my K-5IIs.
All my lenses (even old lenses) have superb AF.
DA20-40 has front focus. No sharp photos at the infinity.

But at the close and middle distance - it's outstanding.

The lens is sharp at the center wide opened at ALL focal length. The corners are sharp from f4.5 at ALL focal range.
It's razor sharp lens.

I think that we need to ask Ricoh to make new firmware for old cameras to work with DA20-40 properly.

I've put +2 now and will keep testing my lens. When AF is on, it has outstanding sharpness.

Last edited by ogl; 01-21-2014 at 09:04 AM.
01-20-2014, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #75
ogl
Banned

here is full sized photo - 21 mm@4.5

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6731/84073594.1c/0_1620a8_8d3c00d0_orig

here is full sized photo - 40mm@4.5
http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/9808/84073594.1c/0_1620a9_f469151e_orig