Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2008, 06:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm gonna do a mega multiquote, i was particularly interested as you could see from my https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/24710-not-thrifty-fifties.html posting

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Adorama has two of these in the used lot for $350
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Actually, I just ordered a used M 200mm f4 from them that was rated as "VG", which is a step below "E", and it's in exceptional shape - a very small mark on the lens hood, some extremely small smudges on the barrel, but that's it - shiny and new otherwise. I would have rated it an "E", I had to really look for the imperfections, and I'm pretty picky. Based on that one order I'd order again with confidence in their ratings, but I could have been just lucky also..
QuoteOriginally posted by walter Quote
Thanks Buddha!!!

I tried to order one. It looks like they don't do real time
inventory since it's still listed. I guess I'll have to wait till
tomorrow to see if I actually got it.
thanks for the tip buddha. i saw your post basically right after and I had the order all lined up on the A model. but i hesitated because i) no idea about the actual quality (a bit of reassurance from jsherman999 but i saw too many old posts from Nikon users saying they didn't get good products) ii) not sure if i wanted this lens or the Nokton 58mm iii) hard to drop $400 (then the tax for me in Canada) in an instant iv) if a lens is available new, i'd prefer to get it new

i hope you enjoy the lens walter and put up some photos.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I was just joking there.

There is quite a difference to my naked eyes for the images produced by A 50 f1.2 and Fa 50 f1.4 respectively.

Just that a lot of people do not appreciate the difference and hence we will leave it as it is.

I am sure that you would love that depth of field at f1.2

When I was 15 yr old, I would basicly snare at the idea of f1.2 and manual focusing (everything has to be sharp sharp and sharp; manual focusing is too prehistoric etc)

Even at f1.4, A 50 f1.2 is more consistent with image quality having better contrast and overall IQ (of course, only I belive that myself)
thanks for getting back to me on the Fast Fifties Roentarre (A50 1.2 and Nokton), it's a tough decision and i don't think i'm sleeping well trying to decide! your photos from both lenses are great so that's not helping :P

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
Of course I know you were joking. That big smiley face is a big hint.

To be honest, when I said no significant difference, this is because the "mere" 2/3 a stop gain. But i could be wrong. You have to try it to appreciate it: the thinner DOF, the measily stop gain (but can stop you right at the border of the next higher ISO), and superior IQ (I based this on carpent's test and several other 50/1.2 users). I guess that warrants the premium.
the extra 2/3 of a stop should also make the viewfinder even brighter and make it easier to focus, at least on deeper DOF, should it not?

04-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I doubt I will notice the brighter VF, but the thinner DOF will be more noticable. Except for my 85 and 50, most of my lenses are at f/2. And that's already bright for me.
04-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That has not been my experience

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
they have an a K "E+" and A "E" for $349 but i can't seem to convince myself to put in my credit card number and buy it
anyone know how these conditions really are? i'm seeing some bad stuff about Adorama used equipment
I agree with jsherman 999 above. I just got a "D" rated 20mm F2.8 from them and the lens is cherry. I haven't had time to put it thru it's paces yet, I'll have to wait till Sunday, but it is damn near perfect appearance wise and the few inside 'test shots' came out well. I've also never had a problem returning a used lens to them, I had to do it twice, once for a used "E" 50-200 that had severe BF, and once with a Tokina 28-70 (?) F2.8 zoom that was very soft wide open. They took both back with no hassle and credited my plastic within 3 business days.

NaCl(have no qualms about buying used lenses from adorama)H2O
04-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by craig1024 Quote
Is there really that much difference from f/1.2 to f/1.4? Seems like my f/1.4 was a bargain at $179 new?
Well, remember that it's a geometric progression... so the difference between f/1.2 and f/1.4 is as big as the difference between f/2.8 and f/3.4 or f/1.7 and f/2.0.

04-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

they have an a K "E+" and A "E" for $349 but i can't seem to convince myself to put in my credit card number and buy it
anyone know how these conditions really are? i'm seeing some bad stuff about Adorama used equipment
I also recently bought a Pentax-M 200mm f/4 that was rated E. If my lens in an E, than I cannot image what E+ or D would be. The only mark was a little glue residue (from the inspection sticker I assume). Even the mount was free of visible wear. My only complaint is that it was not equipped with front or back caps. New, the lens would have come with both as well as a hard case.
04-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
...I just got a "D" rated 20mm F2.8 from them and the lens is cherry...
Ooooo...I saw that lens for sale and wanted it SO BAD. Let all of us know how it performs!
04-11-2008, 12:07 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery
i hope you enjoy the lens walter and put up some photos.
Thanks! I will. Looks like it's on it's way
Hopefully it arrives before my camping trip next week.

09-05-2008, 12:37 AM   #23

But where can I buy it ???

I all of you. I'm really interested by the 1.2. Unfortunatly, in France there is only the 1.4. Do you have web site address to buy it ???

Cordially
09-05-2008, 06:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

smc PENTAX A 50mm f/1.2 Brand new - eBay (item 160266068683 end time Sep-25-08 14:02:34 PDT)
these guys have an endless supply
very reliable and fast shipping
09-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Well, there is no difference between the two. Kit zoom is more than enough for any types of photography. We are just all that silly doing LBA.
LOL

indeed.

--

owner of the k 1.2 and 1.4
09-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
To be honest, when I said no significant difference, this is because the "mere" 2/3 a stop gain.
If I may be be picky, the gain in light-gathering is only 1/2 stop. To gain 2/3 stop the lens would have to be f/1.1. But it's not all about how wide the aperture is when it comes to lens quality