Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2014, 04:35 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
lens hood for SMC FA50mm 1.4 with threads and opening for cpl.

Hello, first post here and after being a hangaround for a while.

so ofcourse I have a problem, the thing is that I've recently bought a SCM FA50mm 1.4 lens and the PH-S49 lens hood,

This combination is not working very well for me, for two main reasons

1. I like to photograph using different filters, but I have alot of lenses so I have bought most of my filters in either 55mm or 77mm, this means that I can not use my lens hood when I am using my filters.

2. even if I did buy 49mm filters the first I would buy is a CPL, and rectangular hoods fitted to a CPL is not any good since you would have to remove and realign it every time you change the setting on the filter.

This means that right now I don't use it at all when I use any filters (except my B+W UV filter which is always attached), And that's not a good solution because that lens really needs a hood to work properly. So what I am looking for is a new preferably round hood with filter threads. I've been looking at the rubber hood RH-RA49 but I am unable to find it in any store. I've tried local stores in Sweden where I live and I've tried ebay aswell but I get no results.

If you guys could point me towards the RH-RA49 that would be great, also if you know if it will fit a 55mm filter inside of it would be apreciated information. from looking at pictures of it it seems like it should be working, but it is sometimes hard to tell from a picture

If you have any other ideas for hoods that could be used I would be very happy. they should either be made in rubber so you can collapse them for easy adjustment of CPL or Variable ND filters, or have a removable window. also as I said earlier I mainly use 55mm filters so a step up ring to 55mm should also fit inside of it.

01-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The RH-RA49 is a good choice, as it lets you adjust your CPL when collapsed.

B&H has a hood in stock and I'd be willing to help get it sent over to you. Just shoot me a PM!
Pentax 49mm Round Rubber Lens Hood 34260 B&H Photo Video

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi Adam, and thanks for the offer, I did try to search on their site for RH.RA49 but I did not get any results, now that I actually went to lens hoods and looked a bit more carefully I could see that they did in fact have them.

Would you know what the final total could be to sweden incl shipping, I created an account on B&H now and added the lens hood to the cart,

this is the result I got:

SubTotal: $14.95
Duties & Tax : $53.81
Shipping: $52.75
Order Total: $121.51

sure it might be a good hood, but I doubt it is worth $120

Any idea regarding the 55mm step up ring?
01-07-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
Hi Adam, and thanks for the offer, I did try to search on their site for RH.RA49 but I did not get any results, now that I actually went to lens hoods and looked a bit more carefully I could see that they did in fact have them.

Would you know what the final total could be to sweden incl shipping, I created an account on B&H now and added the lens hood to the cart,

this is the result I got:

SubTotal: $14.95
Duties & Tax : $53.81
Shipping: $52.75
Order Total: $121.51

sure it might be a good hood, but I doubt it is worth $120

Any idea regarding the 55mm step up ring?
I'd be happy to have it sent to me then forward it to you via snail mail, which won't cost you very much. Shoot me a PM

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: