Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it Too Risky Using 3rd Party Reverse Adapter?

When ordering something at Amazon, I needed to find something more to add to my order so it could qualify for free shipping, so I ordered a Fotodiox 10-LA-MR-PK-49 49MM reverse-mount adapter ring to mount a 50mm lens onto my K200d. I've never used a reverse-mount adapter before, but thought it would be a fun way to explore close-up shooting. Then, some time after placing my order, I read a review that warned about the adapter getting stuck on the camera. This was a little alarming, so I searched a bit more, including here on the forum, and saw where some others have had similar problems.

Now I'm not sure that I should risk trying this adapter. I don't want to do damage to the camera or the lens. Am I being too alarmist? If so, any tips on avoiding trouble? I'm sorry if the answer to this seems obvious, but I didn't find an answer when performing a forum search, though my searching strategy might have been flawed. Thanks for any advice. If I have to just trash the adapter, I'd rather have wasted about four dollars than ruin a camera or lens.

01-07-2014, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The adapters that typically get stuck are the infinity focusing M42 mount adapters, they have a little spring clip to hold them in the mount since the lock pin can't be used.

The reverse mount adapters are made like the non-infinity focusing adapters, they use the lock pin like normal and shouldn't get stuck. The only way I could see it getting stuck is if you somehow over rotate it in the mount, which is unlikely. I've got a cheap no-name reverse adapter and have never had a problem. I also have cheap infinity focusing M42 adapters, though I modified them to eliminate problems.
01-07-2014, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A third party reverse adapter should not be overly risky.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macr...lose-work.html
01-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you both for your quick replies, reassuring answers, and, Boris, the link. Much appreciated!