Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 04:21 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote

Maybe you could try and inquire if they would be kind enough to re-mount to a K mount if we were to purchase a Zeiss lens for another mount? Of course, with additional charges..
Surely the cost of this would not be similar to a lens from a production run, but to a hand-crafted prototype. An actual Zeiss employee would have to devote time to do this.

01-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm... I'm curious about this too.. Would you kindly try and contact them on it? ;P

I did try previously and they said that it is not possible though... :/
I would think you're more likely to have success getting an industrial M42.
01-17-2014, 03:06 PM   #33

Hmm... I'm curious about this too.. Would you kindly try and contact them on it? ;P

I did try previously and they said that it is not possible though... :/

Maybe you could try and inquire if they would be kind enough to re-mount to a K mount if we were to purchase a Zeiss lens for another mount? Of course, with additional charges..
If I could justify the cost(s) I'd be looking for FA Ltds instead, I can't, so had to settle for various FA primes.
01-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Surely the cost of this would not be similar to a lens from a production run, but to a hand-crafted prototype. An actual Zeiss employee would have to devote time to do this.
That's true... Oh well...

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I would think you're more likely to have success getting an industrial M42.
Yea, but i like having the EXIF intact.

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
If I could justify the cost(s) I'd be looking for FA Ltds instead, I can't, so had to settle for various FA primes.
2 sides of the coin i guess... If i could justify the cost(s), i'd be looking for ZK primes instead, i can't, so i had to settle for various Pentax A primes..

01-21-2014, 06:54 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Ploki Quote
It would be a shame if K-mount disappears just because low-end DSLR market is going to vanish, i know it doesn't allow faster (f/1, f/0.95) primes, but most of those are unavailable to video makers anyway, since they usually jump on the dedicated camera system when the budget gets that high.
An of topic (from a newbie) question: How come there aren't any f/1 and f/0.95 lens for k mount? Technical problems?
01-21-2014, 07:11 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by malenisjaj Quote
An of topic (from a newbie) question: How come there aren't any f/1 and f/0.95 lens for k mount? Technical problems?
I read here on PF somewhere some time ago that the K-mount would only support lenses to f/1.2 and not lower. And they even discontinued the only lens they had available in that aperture.
01-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I think there's two sides to this. There isn't enough demand (there aren't enough Pentax shooters), and any demand there would be is reduced by the Pentax Ltd lens line-up. Cannikon and the rest don't really have access to an equivalent lens line-up, there may be a few of their lenses with similar IQ, but none with the build quality and handling. Given the option (and funds), Pentax users are more likely to buy an AF Ltd lens than a similar MF Zeiss one I'd have thought.
Thats my logic when I considered the Zeiss (85/1.4) and Voigtlanders (40/1.4; 58/1.4)

The FA limiteds or the FA* are as well built, AF and not any poorer in performance/size (win some lose some on various finer points of each lens)

The Canikon ppl are a bit different (no similar build quality)
Even then, the pride in Canikon is strong (coupled with AF for native lenses).
I don't even see Canikon ppl mention Voigtlander at all.
Zeiss yes, partly because of branding and actual optical performace
01-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I read here on PF somewhere some time ago that the K-mount would only support lenses to f/1.2 and not lower. And they even discontinued the only lens they had available in that aperture.
You could design optics (like speedbooster, etc) to make basically anything fit albeit with optical penalty (like speedbooster, etc).

There's no theoretical limit.

In terms of practical limits, F/1.2 is about it. Canon has a mount with much more area that is slightly closer to the sensor plane so they can fit a bit more, maybe F/1.1, in a practical lens. If you want to get 'impractical' of course you can (and they have) done f/0.95 lenses.