Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #1

How come Zeiss isn't doing any new lenses for K-mount?

Lack of FF DSLR?

just a pointless discussion.

01-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Lack of sales overall. Zeiss doesn't care whether you put their lens on a FF camera or use it as a paperweight.
01-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
Pentax people don't like Zeiss lenses? I've read such nice things about the f/1.4 50mm
01-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ploki Quote
Pentax people don't like Zeiss lenses? I've read such nice things about the f/1.4 50mm
It's most likely a question of price- Zeiss lenses are expensive and Pentax currently caters to an audience more interested in value than the best that money can buy.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Another issue is Pentax has a good back catalog of primes, some of which have an 'A' setting on their aperture, so new Zeiss lenses don't offer as much on Pentax as they do on other bodies, i.e. if Zeiss lenses have the necessary microchips for Nikon/Canon/Sony lens-body communication, that's something of more value on those platforms.
01-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

How come Zeiss isn't doing any new lenses for K-mount?
Not a big enough market?

BTW I have the zeiss planar 50mm zk. Great lens but other than the difference in FL no better, if as good, as my FA 35 in my opinion.
01-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Another issue is Pentax has a good back catalog of primes, some of which have an 'A' setting on their aperture, so new Zeiss lenses don't offer as much on Pentax as they do on other bodies.
When I was looking for an 85/1.4, I ended up with the Zeiss ZK Planar.
It was way cheaper than what the A* 85/1.4 was going for,
and has now become one of my favorite lenses.
It does many jobs really well, in good light or bad.

01-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Not a big enough market?
That would be the most concise way of putting it.

Steve
01-08-2014, 04:24 AM   #9

Original Poster
I don't really understand why Pentax has such a small market share. I, coming from no-photography background (although we do have a few pentax cameras in the extended family circles) did a comparison on dpreview and figured that K-30 is clearly superior against its competition. Especially high-iso! You can see that in comparison photos with your eyes.

If I wasn't getting a Pentax I'd probably get either a Nikon or a Sony. No idea where Canon gets its market share
01-08-2014, 05:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Advertising.......I know this has been beaten to death in other threads, but I've met people that don't even realize that Pentax (Ricoh) still makes cameras, or believe that they aren't a legitimate camera platform. I've even had people ask me to recommend a camera to them and when I've brought up Pentax I usually get a response like "I was looking for a good (or real) camera like a Nikon or Canon". I point out the features that you get with Pentax and the more "bang for your buck" that you get with their cameras and still I get "Well I've never seen an ad for them" or " they don't have them at Best Buy so they must not be that good". I will admit that in the last two years I have run across more people shooting Pentax than I have since the beginning of the digital era, but it's no where near the amount you would see back in the film era. These people are still few and far between and until the general public starts shooting Pentax in larger numbers companies like Zeiss probably don't see enough potential sales to warrant it.
01-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #11

Original Poster
Makes sense.

I hope Pentax will jump on the MILC bandwagon while its still fresh; and with a K-mount at that. That would give it a sweet edge compared to other platforms. And at video especially. Most of people I know use either 5Dmk2 or Lumix GH2, and they all use manual mode, and having access to plenty of cheap fast primes would be very appealing to video makers.

A more video oriented K-02 with proper advertising would in my opinion get Pentax a lot of new customers, especially because they know how to make compact and durable bodies.

More video oriented I mean that it would allow higher bit-rates for h.264 and ProRes 4:2:2. RAW video is nice and all, but in reality its not feasible on compact bodies with SD cards. Too expensive.

It would be a shame if K-mount disappears just because low-end DSLR market is going to vanish, i know it doesn't allow faster (f/1, f/0.95) primes, but most of those are unavailable to video makers anyway, since they usually jump on the dedicated camera system when the budget gets that high.
01-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If I wasn't getting a Pentax I'd probably get either a Nikon or a Sony. No idea where Canon gets its market share
Canon used to be good, and they have cheap entry-level offerings, too. Ubiquitous... I was once at a popular landscape photography spot ~6 years ago and everybody there had a Canon, several pros had the 1DIII or whatever was the top model then.
01-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #13

I don't really understand why Pentax has such a small market share. I, coming from no-photography background (although we do have a few pentax cameras in the extended family circles) did a comparison on dpreview and figured that K-30 is clearly superior against its competition. Especially high-iso! You can see that in comparison photos with your eyes.

Canon wins with their bigger lens selection and their pro bodies are currently the best if money is no concern.
01-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Azzy Quote
Canon wins with their bigger lens selection and their pro bodies are currently the best if money is no concern.
I'd still rather have Nikon myself. But if money was absolutely no object Canon might have better tilt-shift, etc lenses.
01-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Lack of sales overall. Zeiss doesn't care whether you put their lens on a FF camera or use it as a paperweight.
Yes, certainly not brand snobbery.

Iirc, Zeiss provide the lenses for Samsung Galaxies and iPhones.