Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2006, 12:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Wide Angle Lens

I'm in the market for a new lens and have been looking at the Sigma 15mm f/2.8 EX FE and the Sigma 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 EX DG ASP. If anyone owns one of these lenses, I'd appreciate any opinions. I'd assume the FE will have better sharpness as it's a prime and the fast aperture can come in handy - but on the other hand, the zoom does give a little more versatility.

I'm also looking at the Pentax DA 10-17mm FE and the Pentax DA 16-45mm as well and have seen some nice samples and little complaints. Or maybe I should just save up a bit more, get away from the wide angle, and go for the proven 77mm. Decisions, decisions.

09-25-2006, 05:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Toshi

I would probably save up, trade in your kit lens and get the DA12-24 which would go well with your Sigma 24-135. Then all you need after that is telephoto lens, maybe the Sigam 100-300/4? I have heard very nice comments about it.

If you want to fish-eye lens just for fun, I would recommend getting the Zenitar one, very very good value and good performance too. It probably won't be as good as the Pentax one but you can get the Zenitar for less than $150!

cheers
Kenny
09-25-2006, 05:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the 16-45 and the zenitar fisheye for fun (FE effects) I have tried the Sigma 15-30 but it was just too bulky/heavy for me I decided on the 16-45 and don't regret that decision..
09-25-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have the Sigma 15-30mm and it is large and bulky. But I do love the Quality built and the sharpness. Here a pic of what it looks like on a D. Never had a chance to compare it to the Pentax 16-45.

09-25-2006, 04:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by toshifumi Quote
I'm in the market for a new lens and have been looking at the Sigma 15mm f/2.8 EX FE and the Sigma 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5 EX DG ASP. If anyone owns one of these lenses, I'd appreciate any opinions. I'd assume the FE will have better sharpness as it's a prime and the fast aperture can come in handy - but on the other hand, the zoom does give a little more versatility.

I'm also looking at the Pentax DA 10-17mm FE and the Pentax DA 16-45mm as well and have seen some nice samples and little complaints. Or maybe I should just save up a bit more, get away from the wide angle, and go for the proven 77mm. Decisions, decisions.
Hi Toshi,

The sigma Lenses I can't help you with, because I don't have either of them, but I do have the DA 10-17mm FE , DA 16-45mm and the FA 77mm, and I can tell you they are my 3 favourite lenses at the moment. The 10-17FE is a great fun lens and give excellent quality photos, the only draw back is that it has a tiny bit of purple fringing. The DA16-45mm is fantastic wide angle lens, and I use it mostly for landscape shots, beautiful bokeh, quality and contrast. The 77mm is superb! Worth every cent. I mainly use it for potraits and low light /indoor shots. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Scott.
09-25-2006, 04:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Zenitar 16mm and FA77 Ltd

Hi Toshi!

I'm going to echo what Scott, Kenny, and Joele have said. You just can't go wrong with the Zenitar. For it's price, it is a fantastic lens. I've used it for wide, close, and even macro photos (in combination with a Vivitar 2X macro focusing teleconverter). I've used it in bright light conditions and for night/broad sky star photos. It is a fun lens that gives a unique feeling to your photos - kind of 3D.

Then, what money you save on the wide angle lens you can put toward the Pentax FA77 or the new pancake 70. I have the 77ltd. The build quality of the lens plus the image quality it produces make it well worth the price you pay for it. Plus, I think there's still a rebate available for it until October sometime.
09-26-2006, 03:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions. I completely forgot about the Zenitar FE as a choice; I'll have to take that into consideration over the Sigma FE. However, it does seem like the Pentax lenses are the way to go.