Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

All Weather vs. Weather Resistant

I was just reading about the K3 and noticed that they have mentioned AW and WR lenses. WR meaning Weather Resistant and AW meaning All Weather. Just curious as to which lenses available are classified as "all weather". Everything I own and have seen says "weather resistant". Is there more to the lens line up that I am missing, or are they planning on releasing some new lenses in the future with this classification?

01-09-2014, 11:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the list of sealed Pentax's (not including the 645D Medium Format camera and accompanying lenses, all of which are AW grade weather sealed) for your wallet to choose from, despite the small bit of information that you asked for being in green

CAMERAS:
  • Pentax K-3 + Battery Grip
  • Pentax K-50
  • Pentax K-5 IIs + Battery Grip
  • Pentax K-5 II + Battery Grip
  • Pentax K-30
  • Pentax K-5 + Battery Grip
  • Pentax K-7 + Battery Grip
  • Pentax K-20D + Battery Grip
  • Pentax K-200D + Battery Grip
  • Pentax K-10D + Battery Grip
PRIME LENSES:
  • DA* 55mm f/1.4
  • DFA 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR
  • DA* 200mm f/2.8
  • DA* 300m f/4
  • DA 560mm f/5.6 AW DC
ZOOM LENSES:
  • DA* 16-50mm f/2.8
  • DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 WR
  • DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 WR DC
  • DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 WR DC
  • DA* 50-135mm f/2.8
  • DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 WR
  • DA* 60-250mm f/4
EXTERNAL HOTSHOE FLASHES:
  • AF 360 FGZ II AW
  • AF 540 FGZ II AW
MISCELLANEOUS ACCESSORIES:
  • O-GPS 1 (not labeled as weather sealed however has been tested by numerous users here, and incorporates rubber o-rings in build)
GRADES/LEVELS OF WEATHER SEALING:
  • WR - "Weather Resistant" - protected from water ingress
  • AW - "All Weather" - protected from water and dust ingress
  • DA* - incorporates AW level dust and water resistance
Note that none are submersible (despite a few intrepid Pentaxians) when it comes to water ingress protection, but rather spray, light and heavy rain, shower heads, hoses, faucets etc.

In my personal experience I have not witnessed much of a difference between WR and DA*/AW. Both levels are excellent against water and dust, although my confidence is surely with DA*/AW when the dust becomes a true nuissance.

There are no 3rd Party lenses for Pentax that are weather sealed.

Hopefully this helps answer your question.

-Heie
01-10-2014, 01:09 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jjeling Quote
I was just reading about the K3 and noticed that they have mentioned AW and WR lenses. WR meaning Weather Resistant and AW meaning All Weather. Just curious as to which lenses available are classified as "all weather". Everything I own and have seen says "weather resistant". Is there more to the lens line up that I am missing, or are they planning on releasing some new lenses in the future with this classification?
Here's a quick link to all the weather sealed lenses:
wr Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-10-2014, 01:22 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Feature 4?K-3 | RICOH IMAGING - this is the article and page I was referring to.

Adam, I have visited the lens reviews more than I probably should and am well aware of the icons at the bottom. This is actually what is prompting my question. If you look at that web page, you will see that Pentax makes a clear distinction between "weather resistant" and "all weather". All the lenses listed on the review pages are listed as "WR" meaning weather resistant, but there is no mention as to what lenses are actually considered "all weather"? Maybe I missed something somewhere.

Heie, I am also aware that there are no 3rd party manufacturers of WR lenses. However, what I did not know was that the DA* lineup was considered all weather. Thats the information I was looking for.

It was beyond my knowledge that there was a distinction between AW and WR until I saw that page. Having that knowledge now, I also did not know there was a difference in the sealing efforts between the DA* lineup and the rest of DA lenses. My understanding was that the DA* lenses were purely much better glass. Good to know they are better protected from the elements as well.

Thanks again for the information guys.

01-10-2014, 05:14 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Here is the list of sealed Pentax's
MISCELLANEOUS ACCESSORIES:
O-GPS 1 (not labeled as weather sealed however has been tested by numerous users here, and incorporates rubber o-rings in build)
There also is this remote control O-RC1, but it's neither all weather nor weather resistant, as it's in fact fully sealed, and can even be used underwater without any harm
01-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jjeling Quote
Feature 4?K-3 | RICOH IMAGING - this is the article and page I was referring to.

Adam, I have visited the lens reviews more than I probably should and am well aware of the icons at the bottom. This is actually what is prompting my question. If you look at that web page, you will see that Pentax makes a clear distinction between "weather resistant" and "all weather". All the lenses listed on the review pages are listed as "WR" meaning weather resistant, but there is no mention as to what lenses are actually considered "all weather"? Maybe I missed something somewhere.

Heie, I am also aware that there are no 3rd party manufacturers of WR lenses. However, what I did not know was that the DA* lineup was considered all weather. Thats the information I was looking for.

It was beyond my knowledge that there was a distinction between AW and WR until I saw that page. Having that knowledge now, I also did not know there was a difference in the sealing efforts between the DA* lineup and the rest of DA lenses. My understanding was that the DA* lenses were purely much better glass. Good to know they are better protected from the elements as well.

Thanks again for the information guys.
It's real easy - all DA* lenses are AW.