Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I think Paul is suggesting you try the kit lens. They're very inexpensive used.
Steve is suggesting this as well.

The "cheap wideangle" question is probably the most frequent lens-related inquiry posted on this site. The common options suggested (in no particular order) are:
  • Pentax-DA 18-55 (choose your version)
  • Pentax-DA 16-45 (well-regarded)
  • KMZ MC Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye
  • Various Samyang options
  • Sigma 17-50
  • Tamron 17-50
  • Various 16mm and 17mm lenses from the 1970s and 1980s
  • Various lenses at greater than 18mm focal length
Now a few notes:
  • Out of the above list, only the DA 18-55 and DA 16-45 are truly inexpensive, particularly if used. My 18-55 (first version) is ALWAYS in my bag.
  • I own the Zenitar and have to admit that it is almost always in my bag. I have no complaints with the optical quality. I simply love the lens. However, I did have to adjust the infinity focus despite having bought it new through my convenient new "friend" in Russia. Oh...and my first copy had multiple defects and had to be returned to my new "friend" in Russia who took his sweet time shipping me a replacement.
  • The Samyang options are not particularly cheap and are also a bit wider than what people generally need
  • The Sigma and Tamron options are not cheap new, but may be an option used
  • The vintage 16mm and 17mm options might be fun if you are into vintage glass, but the performance (often not so good) is usually not worth the prices asked. Yes, the sellers are aware that there are limited moderately-priced wide-angle options.
  • A 24mm lens is only moderately wide on APS-C, though that focal length can work nicely as a walk-around prime or for street photography
Good luck and happy hunting!

Steve

(...still recommends the kit...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-10-2014 at 05:26 PM.
01-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

I've rented a 16-45 DA before & to be honest, I liked my 18-55 better for most pictures.
01-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spectral Quote
I am going to California in 6 days
There are a lot of good suggestions for lenses here but they are somewhat limited since you have to have it in your hands realistically in 5 days. That leaves you to buying one in person if you are lucky enough to live near a store that carries Pentax and that has such a lens, ordering from Adorama or B&H (or a few other places that ship quickly), or renting one. A couple of people mentioned the DA 21 which may not be what you consider "reasonably priced". If it does fit the Tamron 10-24 and a Sigma 10-20 are in the same range and are good versatile ultra wide angles.
01-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #19
Emperor and Senpai

Yeah, I liked my Tamron 10-24. I only sold it because I got the Sigma 8-16. To tell the truth the Tamron 10-24, then the Tamron 17-50 make a heck of a set together. Ohh, and if you can swing it you might be able to score a DA 18-135 WR for around 350 used. It is VERY much worth it. It's attached to my camera most of the time and will have the versatility as a walk aroudn lens that is WR, good range, decent sharpness, but of course if you want it really cheap and quickly then yeah, the kit lens can be had for under 100 pretty easily, and it si definitely under rated.