Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lens Hood Question

Bit of a Newbie question here, but there you go...

I have sold my kit lens for my Kr and invested in some older primes and zooms, which work just fine. Question is, what kind of lens hood should I use for my Pentax SMC F 35-70 lens?? I have a standard circular 49mm metal hood that I am using currently, but don't know if this is the best one for such a lens. The barrel at the front rotates, so I am thinking this would render a petal hood useless..Don't know!!
This hood also fits my 50mm 1.7, which again leads to another question; does the 50mm really need a hood as the lens is recessed?

Apologies if this is a standard repeat question from another newbie

Love'N'Peace

Steve

Last edited by thegadge; 01-10-2014 at 04:34 PM.
01-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I use a rubber hood on my 50 1.7

even though the lens is recessed a little it's still nice to have if shooting in sunny conditions.

As for the 35-70, the hood should work ok, it just means that at 35mm there may be some slight vignetting if the hood is a bit long (I doubt it though) and at 70mm it may not give as much flare resistance as a longer hood.
Overall though it's probably a good middle ground.

For reference, the rubber hood I use is about 40-50mm deep, perfect on a 50mm lens, and only JUST shadows the edge of the frame on a 28mm.
BUT, that's on film, it's perfect for the 28 on digital.
01-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess is, that your hood would work fine. But try to look when in 35 mm and keep a finger on the side of the hood, just to see how much clearance there is. (if you can see your fingertip through the viewfinder)

Yes, always use a hood, all my lenses have their own hood.

Peace'N'Love
01-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yeah, thanks for that folks. Pictures I've taken at 35mm do not seem to have any vignetting, or any that I can discern. I have had some lens flare with the 50mm, but hey, sometimes it's quite nice flare!

Aw the best from New Zealand!

01-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shoot a light-colored wall with your lens wide open and zoomed out to 35mm. That'll help you tell whether you're getting any vignetting or not.