Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Samyang 85mm f/1.4 vs PENTAX smc 50mm f/1.8

Am planning on buying two new lenses for my K-5, the smc 35mm f/2.4 AL in addition to the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 or the smc 50mm f/1.8.

Which one do you recommend?

P.S. I know that the samyang 85mm is fully manual lens.

01-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by makhzanji Quote
The one that suites your needs. So what do you want to use it for?
01-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Samyang has automated aperture, it just doesn't autofocus.

Go for the 85. If you can deal wit the manual focus with that lens, get an A 50/1.7 later on.
01-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's simple:
If you need an 85mm lens, get the Samyang.
If however, you need a 50mm lens, get the SMC Pentax.
The two focal lengths give *very* different results.

01-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I will be mostly using it for portraits & still life photography (flowers, buildings, etc...) .... and yes, I can handle manual focus.
In terms of Glass quality, which one shows a superior performance?
01-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

My favourite lens in this focal length is the Sigma 70 2.8, but you want under ƒ2 it looks like.

Just a comment on the 35 2.4, the bokeh is not the smoothest on that lens , but it's a great landscape lens if you want everything in focus. The 50 1.8 is better if bokeh is what you're going for. If I were you I'd go for the 85 1.4, but I'm a little biased in that I already have the 35 and FA 50 1.7 so I'd really like to see what can be done with the 85 1.4. Since I own the Tarmon 90 macro, it's unlikely I'll ever find out, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested. To me macro was worth more than ƒ 1.4, but I suspect, you're not like that.
01-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Actually, I like macro, but a macro lens is not a priority for now. I live in Libya, and i have a tour around the country "work related" in 10 days from now. thats why i need the 35mm lens, which i'll be using mainly for landscape photography, in addition to another lens for portraits and other related types of photography. bokeh is one of the main reasons that made me consider the samyang 85mm, in addition to the price of course.

01-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
The two focal lengths give *very* different results.
What he said.

For the uses you describe, I would suggest the Pentax-A 50/1.7. It is long enough for portraiture, has decent bokeh, is light and compact, and will not break the bank. If you want better build quality and don't mind doing stop-down metering, the Pentax-M 50/1.7 or Pentax-K 55/1.8 have better build.

Either way, with manual focus lenses on your camera, nailing focus will be difficult unless you have an aftermarket focus screen with some sort of focus aid (split image/microprism or fine matte such as the Canon EC). The stock focus screen on the K-5 provides DOF in the viewfinder approximately equivalent to f/4 with the result that missed focus at larger apertures is a virtual guarantee.

Steve
01-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said.

For the uses you describe, I would suggest the Pentax-A 50/1.7. It is long enough for portraiture, has decent bokeh, is light and compact, and will not break the bank. If you want better build quality and don't mind doing stop-down metering, the Pentax-M 50/1.7 or Pentax-K 55/1.8 have better build.

Either way, with manual focus lenses on your camera, nailing focus will be difficult unless you have an aftermarket focus screen with some sort of focus aid (split image/microprism or fine matte such as the Canon EC). The stock focus screen on the K-5 provides DOF in the viewfinder approximately equivalent to f/4 with the result that missed focus at larger apertures is a virtual guarantee.

Steve
what about the sigma 50mm f/2.8 DG EX ?
01-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Get Pentax DA 50mm f1.8. Small, lightweight, fast AF, bright.

If you want (only a bit) brighter, much bigger, and manual focus only, then get the Samyang.

The Sigma 50mm f2.8 is a macro lens, which means its AF might be slower, its not as bright, but it will be more uniformly sharp across the frame. Macro lenses are very sharp, fit for laboratory conditions. If you don't need macro, its might not make sense to get a macro lens.

The three lenses you mention are all completely different. Get the Pentax DA 50mm f1.8.
01-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Get both. Start with the 50mm. The Samyang is great, but 50mm is a more versatile fl.
01-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I find it interesting that people are saying the 50 is more versatile. Given that he's getting the 35 2.4, a 15mm difference isn't really much more versatile than the 35, you'd get a lot more with the 85. But as some have eluded to, focusing by hand on APS-c can be a challenge.
01-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So ... now the only thing that is keeping me from buying the samyang 85mm is the "manual focus" .... is there a solution for this problem?? ... can't i use the light indicators in the viewfinder for the focus confirmation??

this is the lens am talking about >>
Amazon.com: Rokinon 85M-P 85mm F1.4 Aspherical Lens for Pentax (Black): ROKINON: Camera & Photo
01-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So ... now the only thing that is keeping me from buying the samyang 85mm is the "manual focus" .... is there a solution for this problem?? ... can't i use the light indicators in the viewfinder for the focus confirmation??

this is the lens am talking about >>
Amazon.com: Rokinon 85M-P 85mm F1.4 Aspherical Lens for Pentax (Black): ROKINON: Camera & Photo
Yes, the focus indicators work with manual focus (Center Point only IIRC). You can also use catch-in-focus as a poor mans AF.
01-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Am planning on buying two new lenses for my K-5, the smc 35mm f/2.4 AL in addition to the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 or the smc 50mm f/1.8.

FYI the Bower-branded 85mm is $30 cheaper than the Samyang one (they're the same lens):
Bower 85mm f/1.4 Manual Focus Telephoto Lens for Pentax SLY85P

As others have said, the two focal lengths are very different. Optically the Bower is probably a bit better, but nailing the focusing without a custom focusing screen might be hard. So for everyday shooting I'd still go with the Pentax.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: