Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Go to the camera store, come back with a $85 lens hood

<-- That is pretty much me. I go to the shop this morning to test out the DA*200 on the Tamrom TC to see how it performs. I get the lens on and as I am walking out I go to put the hood on, thought it was locked into place, but it wasn't, I let go, it falls off.

The CPL plate flies off and after looking at it for a minute, the damn thing is cracked. Fortunately they didnt make me buy the whole lens, just pay to replace the cap, a whopping $79.99.

Lesson learned, have the shop clerk assemble everything so that it's their fault. As for the performance, it was mildly acceptable, still kind of hunting so I may own up to one here shortly.

On a side note, they did have the DA35LTD back in, so I will be picking it up this weekend if I can successfully offload some of my gear to pay for it. That will make me smile again.

04-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While it's certainly your fault for dropping it, and I suppose legally you are responsible, I don't know that it should be your responsibility to pay for it. A policy like that should be posted or at least explained verbally (just assuming it wasn't; can't recall ever seeing that anywhere). If I were a business owner and concerned about possible damage to items and not willing to take the monetary hit for the sake of customer service, I'd sure as hell make sure my employees pretty much handled it the whole time. And $85? He could at least given it to you at his cost. Hell, you can get the damn thing from the Pentax site for $64 plus another $8 for shipping! Dude, you got ripped off! I'd never do business with a place like that again.
04-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It sucks, but "You break it, you buy it" its a pretty standard policy most places. I certainly wouldn't expect a store to take the hit on something I dropped.
04-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Geekybiker Quote
It sucks, but "You break it, you buy it" its a pretty standard policy most places. I certainly wouldn't expect a store to take the hit on something I dropped.
But instead they made a profit. And nowadays a lot of places will take the hit in the name of customer service, so YBI,YBI isn't all that standard. Don't get me wrong, it'd be my first instinct to offer to pay the damages. But to then turn around and rip him off is just down right sleazy.

04-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I totally admit that it was my fault, and I did offer to pay for it, but I agree with Jodo after having time to think of it. They should of made me replace it at cost not MSRP. Man, that kind of bites. I am going to call them and see what they say, cuz I was going to take a hit and buy the 35LTD and prolly the DA*200 from them to support the local shop, but now, I don't know.
04-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
<-- That is pretty much me. I go to the shop this morning to test out the DA*200 on the Tamrom TC to see how it performs. I get the lens on and as I am walking out I go to put the hood on, thought it was locked into place, but it wasn't, I let go, it falls off.

The CPL plate flies off and after looking at it for a minute, the damn thing is cracked. Fortunately they didnt make me buy the whole lens, just pay to replace the cap, a whopping $79.99.

Lesson learned, have the shop clerk assemble everything so that it's their fault. As for the performance, it was mildly acceptable, still kind of hunting so I may own up to one here shortly.

On a side note, they did have the DA35LTD back in, so I will be picking it up this weekend if I can successfully offload some of my gear to pay for it. That will make me smile again.
Is this the Camera Store in Charlotte of which have spoken highly?

Sounds to me like a case of "they saw you coming" My guess would be that the CPL plate was damaged before you ever picked it up and I'll bet that they already knew it.
04-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, Jodo, that hood on the Pentax site for $64 is not the same hood, I just checked.
04-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sorry about your misfortune. You are right about the Tamron TC. Its OK but I much prefer the
PTX 1.7, and the lens is soooooo good I have been using it'raw'.........Ha!

04-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Looking again, that could be the case. Pentax needs to do a better job of naming things. They give the same name (but with different part numbers) to different items. Both the hood to the 16-50 and the 200 are 77mm PH-RBK, but the with part numbers 38753 and 38758 respectively. So for now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

*OT* In looking around to find the price on this, I see the new kit lens is available for $119. Amazon.com: Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Lens for Pentax and Samsung Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
04-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote

*OT* In looking around to find the price on this, I see the new kit lens is available for $119. Amazon.com: Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Lens for Pentax and Samsung Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Wow, that was quick. That might be a very nice outdoor wideish-angle walkabout to consider... Much lighter than the 16-50 and probably pretty sharp.
04-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I love my kit lens, the original one, I just used it the other day as a matter of fact.
04-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Bad luck Buddha...but I give you a big tick for paying for it and taking it on the chin.
Karma, mate....it'll even out.

Cheers
Grant
04-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

That does suck. I don't think you should be held responsible for something small like a lens hood ... especially since they could have easily sent it back to the manufacturer as a defect. The sales person should have assisted you with putting it on properly.

During the Christmas season, I was in the middle of a sale and the mother decided to let her 5 year old hold the camera because she kept asking to see it. So the kid gets the camera and bam! Drops it right on the floor. The mother picks up the camera and hands it to me without really showing any remorse. Luckily I wasn't work for a mom and pop shop, so I didn't feel too bad about it. It was a cheap p&s, and nothing was broken.

Score one for capitalism.
04-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

That's an expensive piece of plate. Sorry to hear that. You should've bought the lens, and then use some kind of tape to tape the hole and use it as is. It's an excellent lens.
04-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I intentionally left the credit card at home so that I wouldnt be tempted too, even though I do plan on buying it sooner than later esp now that I have no long lenses in my arsenal. Hell, some crazy glue will fix it right up I am sure.