Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #46
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,735
Interesting to hear another instance of Photozone's kind of experience with this lens.

04-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #47
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,828
QuoteOriginally posted by Hornet Quote
The 8-16mm is still listed as available in Canada at http://adencamera.com although you will have to email for availability.
I've twice ordered from Aden and never gotten anything. They make their website from their manufacturers catalogues, and they are not necessarily up to date. Long story short, if if no one else can get it, Aden can't get it. Their catalogue is out of date. I really take exception to companies working this way. If it's in your catalogue it should be in stour stock room. Taking a customers order and then waiting 2 weeks while the manufacturer is trying to find product somewhere in the world to sell you, before they tell you they can't get it, there's something wrong with that.

And this can definitely hurt you.
I looked at the DA 15 ltd. from Henry's, they had two in stock. The Aden advertised price was $50 cheaper, so I went with them. 2 weeks later Aden gets back to me and tells me they can't get one. By then, other people had figured it out, and the two Henry's had in stock were gone... and Pentax wasn't shipping them. So I ordered a Sigma 8-16 and the DA 15 is still on the wish list.
04-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #48
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Photos: Albums
Posts: 152
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've twice ordered from Aden and never gotten anything. They make their website from their manufacturers catalogues, and they are not necessarily up to date. Long story short, if if no one else can get it, Aden can't get it. Their catalogue is out of date. I really take exception to companies working this way. If it's in your catalogue it should be in stour stock room. Taking a customers order and then waiting 2 weeks while the manufacturer is trying to find product somewhere in the world to sell you, before they tell you they can't get it, there's something wrong with that.

And this can definitely hurt you.
I looked at the DA 15 ltd. from Henry's, they had two in stock. The Aden advertised price was $50 cheaper, so I went with them. 2 weeks later Aden gets back to me and tells me they can't get one. By then, other people had figured it out, and the two Henry's had in stock were gone... and Pentax wasn't shipping them. So I ordered a Sigma 8-16 and the DA 15 is still on the wish list.
its listed as in stock at 47th street photo, Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM Lens for Pentax SLR 8-16
But I'm nervous about getting a decentered lens. Plus, I looked at the photos in the 8-16mm lens thread, and they're not nearly as compelling as the DA15mm photos, so probably I'll stick with the DA15. I also have the DA10-17mm fisheye.
04-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #49
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,002
QuoteOriginally posted by sheld Quote
its listed as in stock at 47th street photo, Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM Lens for Pentax SLR 8-16
But I'm nervous about getting a decentered lens. Plus, I looked at the photos in the 8-16mm lens thread, and they're not nearly as compelling as the DA15mm photos, so probably I'll stick with the DA15. I also have the DA10-17mm fisheye.
Sigma does have excellent service in the USA, so if they are still willing to repair them, even if you get a hold of a bad copy, you could probably just get it fixed instead of having to swap them out for a different one. Mine was excellent from Day 1, btw...glad I got it before they went away.

04-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #50
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,346
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Sigma does have excellent service in the USA, so if they are still willing to repair them, even if you get a hold of a bad copy, you could probably just get it fixed instead of having to swap them out for a different one. Mine was excellent from Day 1, btw...glad I got it before they went away.
I can vouch for their great service in the US,
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/255992-kudos-sigma.html
04-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #51
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,795
QuoteOriginally posted by sheld Quote
I looked at the photos in the 8-16mm lens thread, and they're not nearly as compelling as the DA15mm photos


There are marked physical differences between the two lenses that contribute to this. Optically the DA15mm f/4 isn't as sharp as the sigma 8-16mm is @15mm in the corners - but the sigma lens doesn't have the flare resistance the Pentax lens does - also the DA15 has a 49mm filter thread that doesn't require slim filter frames. There is no facility for using filters on the Sigma 8-16mm and its flare resistance in some situations is simply abysmal.

04-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #52
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,828
QuoteOriginally posted by sheld Quote
its listed as in stock at 47th street photo, Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM Lens for Pentax SLR 8-16
But I'm nervous about getting a decentered lens. Plus, I looked at the photos in the 8-16mm lens thread, and they're not nearly as compelling as the DA15mm photos, so probably I'll stick with the DA15. I also have the DA10-17mm fisheye.
I went the opposite way... Sigma 8-16 is corrected for barrel distortion down to 12mm the DA15 had 1.5% distortion, there are many more DA15 in use by forum members than Sigma 8-16s so I'd expect there to be more compelling images just based on shear numbers. I have the 10-17 fisheye for use when distortion is acceptable... i would only buy the 15 for it's small size. I shot comparison images at the Pentax Booth at a photo show to compare the DA*16-50, DA10-17 and the DA 17, the 15 just didn't stand out for me.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
8-16mm, database, k-mount, lens, pentax, pentax lens, reviews, sigma, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mestos PD-K5H Plate no longer available? stormtech Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 10 01-22-2014 06:31 PM
For Sale - Sold: Lower Price, Added 8mm Photos !!! Sigma 8-16mm for Pentax Dirk Sold Items 7 10-13-2013 09:48 PM
K-5 IIs is no longer available for pre-order Eric Auer Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 10-20-2012 06:08 AM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 8-16mm for Pentax Qwntm Sold Items 5 09-11-2012 06:08 PM
Query about lens mount: Sigma 16mm Filtermatic f2.8 aruk5 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 01-21-2012 05:59 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:45 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top