Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting to hear another instance of Photozone's kind of experience with this lens.

04-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hornet Quote
The 8-16mm is still listed as available in Canada at http://adencamera.com although you will have to email for availability.
I've twice ordered from Aden and never gotten anything. They make their website from their manufacturers catalogues, and they are not necessarily up to date. Long story short, if if no one else can get it, Aden can't get it. Their catalogue is out of date. I really take exception to companies working this way. If it's in your catalogue it should be in stour stock room. Taking a customers order and then waiting 2 weeks while the manufacturer is trying to find product somewhere in the world to sell you, before they tell you they can't get it, there's something wrong with that.

And this can definitely hurt you.
I looked at the DA 15 ltd. from Henry's, they had two in stock. The Aden advertised price was $50 cheaper, so I went with them. 2 weeks later Aden gets back to me and tells me they can't get one. By then, other people had figured it out, and the two Henry's had in stock were gone... and Pentax wasn't shipping them. So I ordered a Sigma 8-16 and the DA 15 is still on the wish list.
04-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #48

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've twice ordered from Aden and never gotten anything. They make their website from their manufacturers catalogues, and they are not necessarily up to date. Long story short, if if no one else can get it, Aden can't get it. Their catalogue is out of date. I really take exception to companies working this way. If it's in your catalogue it should be in stour stock room. Taking a customers order and then waiting 2 weeks while the manufacturer is trying to find product somewhere in the world to sell you, before they tell you they can't get it, there's something wrong with that.

And this can definitely hurt you.
I looked at the DA 15 ltd. from Henry's, they had two in stock. The Aden advertised price was $50 cheaper, so I went with them. 2 weeks later Aden gets back to me and tells me they can't get one. By then, other people had figured it out, and the two Henry's had in stock were gone... and Pentax wasn't shipping them. So I ordered a Sigma 8-16 and the DA 15 is still on the wish list.
its listed as in stock at 47th street photo, Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM Lens for Pentax SLR 8-16
But I'm nervous about getting a decentered lens. Plus, I looked at the photos in the 8-16mm lens thread, and they're not nearly as compelling as the DA15mm photos, so probably I'll stick with the DA15. I also have the DA10-17mm fisheye.
04-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sheld Quote
its listed as in stock at 47th street photo, Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM Lens for Pentax SLR 8-16
But I'm nervous about getting a decentered lens. Plus, I looked at the photos in the 8-16mm lens thread, and they're not nearly as compelling as the DA15mm photos, so probably I'll stick with the DA15. I also have the DA10-17mm fisheye.
Sigma does have excellent service in the USA, so if they are still willing to repair them, even if you get a hold of a bad copy, you could probably just get it fixed instead of having to swap them out for a different one. Mine was excellent from Day 1, btw...glad I got it before they went away.

04-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Sigma does have excellent service in the USA, so if they are still willing to repair them, even if you get a hold of a bad copy, you could probably just get it fixed instead of having to swap them out for a different one. Mine was excellent from Day 1, btw...glad I got it before they went away.
I can vouch for their great service in the US,
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/255992-kudos-sigma.html
04-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I looked at the photos in the 8-16mm lens thread, and they're not nearly as compelling as the DA15mm photos

There are marked physical differences between the two lenses that contribute to this. Optically the DA15mm f/4 isn't as sharp as the sigma 8-16mm is @15mm in the corners - but the sigma lens doesn't have the flare resistance the Pentax lens does - also the DA15 has a 49mm filter thread that doesn't require slim filter frames. There is no facility for using filters on the Sigma 8-16mm and its flare resistance in some situations is simply abysmal.

04-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #52
Pentaxian

I went the opposite way... Sigma 8-16 is corrected for barrel distortion down to 12mm the DA15 had 1.5% distortion, there are many more DA15 in use by forum members than Sigma 8-16s so I'd expect there to be more compelling images just based on shear numbers. I have the 10-17 fisheye for use when distortion is acceptable... i would only buy the 15 for it's small size. I shot comparison images at the Pentax Booth at a photo show to compare the DA*16-50, DA10-17 and the DA 17, the 15 just didn't stand out for me.