Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2014, 02:40 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Best" lenses for K-3

DXO and DPreview just released a paper on their results of a number of lenses on the K-3:
Best lenses for the 24-MPix Pentax K-3: Recommended primes and zooms - DxOMark

with discussion of a number of individual lenses, incl.:
Pentax HD DA 21mm f3.2 AL Limited lens review: Enhanced image quality - DxOMark
Pentax HD DA 40mm f2.8 Limited lens review: Compelling choice - DxOMark
Pentax HD DA 15mm f4 Limited lens review: Compelling choice - DxOMark
Pentax HD DA 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited lens review: Discerning choice - DxOMark

It is a pity that the FA limited prime lenses were not tested, because they should excel on the K-3 IMHO.

01-14-2014, 03:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Any good lens is better on the K-3. A lesser lenses might be more likely to have their limitations demonstrated, but that does not necessarily mean the images coming form them will not be better than those which might come from earlier bodies.
01-14-2014, 06:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I respect the opinions of DxO... not at all.

They take one single element that makes up an image, and extrapolate by assuming that it is representative of all the other elements.

It is a pointless and futile exercise.
01-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #4
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
They take one single element that makes up an image, and extrapolate by assuming that it is representative of all the other elements.
That single element can be measured objectively and contrasted mathematically across different items, giving DXOMark 'scientific' credibility. Such test results then become self-fulfilling attribute ranks, extending even to the level of designing products to excel explicitly for the test parameters..

Of course measurement says nothing about images.

01-14-2014, 08:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That single element can be measured objectively and contrasted mathematically across different items, giving DXOMark 'scientific' credibility. Such test results then become self-fulfilling attribute ranks, extending even to the level of designing products to excel explicitly for the test parameters..

You are correct, but I will add that even when trying to objectively compare lenses, there are several elements that should be compared. SLRgear and photozone do a much better job of studying all those parameters (I particularly like SLRgear's 2D charts, they tell the whole story, or nearer to it).

No lens should be summarized by an number. It's a tool for creating art, and as such, it is much more than numbers.
01-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

What a load of crock.

Tamron 90 macro, SIgma 70 macro, Sigma 8-16, SIgma the Tamron 70-200, The DA*60-250 I could go on and on.

It's appalling that DxO can release a list like this, when clearly, they haven't tested the majority of the lenses available for K mount in the commercial market.

This title for this should be... "even though we haven't tested many of the top lenses from other systems on K-mount, even though some of them have been available on K-mount for years, we foolishly claim to offer information about what the best lenses for K-mount are. Hoping that you will be conned into thinking we are knowledgeable about Pentax and buy our product.

I guess It should be noted that the more Pentax users that buy their product, the more likely it will be to test more lenses. But right now, their list is a sham.

I would title this list
"The woefully inadequate list of lenses tested by DxO on K-mount sensors."
It won't tell you what the best lenses are, but it will tell you what the best one's they've tested are, using their criteria. However, they've left off many of the best lenses ever produced on K-mount.

Last edited by normhead; 01-14-2014 at 08:45 AM.
01-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I particularly like SLRgear's 2D charts, they tell the whole story, or nearer to it.
For a really bizarre story,
check out their charts for the DA 40 Ltd,
and scroll the aperture slider to f/5.6!

tloader
01-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I would title this list
"The woefully inadequate list of lenses tested by DxO on K-mount sensors."
It won't tell you what the best lenses are, but it will tell you what the best one's they've tested are, using their criteria. However, they've left off many of the best lenses ever produced on K-mount.
I agree. It's impossible to test all the available lenses on a new body in such a short time and some lenses will never get tested. They should reword the headline title to reflect this. They do mention their testing is incomplete in the article along with many lenses that are on the list to be tested. I think a lot of people will skip the article and just look at the results.

01-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The DXO K-3 lens tests were posted about a week ago. There's a PF thread here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/247663-dxom...ses-k-3-a.html

I treat DXO tests as I do PZ, SLR Gear or any other. The results are another thing to consider, but far from the whole story.
01-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It is a pointless and futile exercise.
Hear, hear! I agree 100%. If you know and have used some of the lenses the list is ridiculous.
01-14-2014, 10:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That single element can be measured objectively and contrasted mathematically across different items, giving DXOMark 'scientific' credibility.
Rather, the precision of the numbers gives implied credibility. Without having multiple samples we have no idea how accurate these measurements are.

QuoteQuote:
Nor does a single sample say (nearly) anything about any other copies of the same lens. Inferential statistics rely on a large number of samples to ensure a high probability that the observed outcomes are different from a random outcome. It's Stats 101, and it's what drives me crazy about stuff like DxO, photozone, or anyone else testing single copies and then reporting their results as if they represent all copies of that lens (even PF is guilty!). Without a large sample size, we have no clue how representative a given measurement is of the lens design. Roger over at Lens Rentals does a good job at this, showing the results of twenty or so tests of a given lens so you have a much better idea of what the lens is capable of and the range of quality you could expect.

</stats rant>
01-15-2014, 05:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
photozone, or anyone else testing single copies and then reporting their results as if they represent all copies of that lens (even PF is guilty!)
Most website do take the time to write things like "our tested sample did xyz". Photozone does have a section explaining how they test, what is covered and what is not.